Upon Further Review: Miami vs. Temple

Well, X is not always wide open and these throws are going to get harder to complete against better talent. Despite the great catches he really should go to the wide open man more othen than to force it into X regardless to who he trust.
He’s normally pretty **** open but that’s ending. Teams are starting to double or bracket him. Which is good news Imo. Especially if Arroyo gets back. If not I could see Riley eventually exploding by years end.

Advertisement
This isn't a callout in any way to you, but really just a placeholder for this topic.

You will see a lot of instances of players wide open that the QB never gets to and there's a good reason for that; the player wasn't in the progression yet.

As a QB, you have certain reads on every play. Generally, it goes like this:

1. Presnap read, where you're looking for a certain placement on the outside, be it press man with no safety shade etc. If you get that look, it's automatic a shot to that receiver.

2. Post-snap read, where you go through progressions. If you have a read and that player is open, you're going to throw it there. If the backside read doesn't even have a player cover him, you'll never throw it there because you won't even look at it.

3. Second-read, normally some sort of combination off the first read, where if this look is given to first read, you know to get to your second read.

4. Third-read or scramble. For most QB's the third read is a checkdown or a scramble.

5. Backside, this is normally only seen if it's an alert or a scramble play. Generally, you're using that backside receiver as some sort of clearout or hold for the safety to play off of him. If he was in the progression, he'd be a read.

What you see on so many of these wide open replays that the QB missed is simply because the coverage messed up on a clearout route that's not part of the progression and not really a mistake by the QB. It's really only a mistake if the QB didn't come off other reads that weren't open.

Restrepo was open, just not uncovered open, so he was the correct throw with that progression.

Lance: this is 100% spot on.

(although, the LOL for me personally, is that I never had fast enough feet to get to "Scramble") :p .... thank god for check downs.

It's clear from how TVD went through that play on the third TD, that his throw to George is an automatic. He sees man/press with no safety help, it's game on. One clue for me on the tape is if you look at TVD's shoulder as he comes through his drop to his hitch step, he's positioning to hit the sideline go route from the jump. Super throw. Kid can sling it, for sure.

I hope the light bulb has finally come on for LT. I dont expect him to be Jerome or Sapp but if he can at least be Russell Maryland, that is a huge problem for the opposing OL.

I agree with the assessment of Harvey. I believe he has turned the corner as he has been playing really well this season. Could be the $$$ of the NFL? I dont know but he has turned up the heat this year.

I think I saw Cribby or another poster saying X may start to see double teams. Well the question I have is if that happens who will cover Colbie because i dont think there is a DB, in the ACC at least,that can cover him 1 on 1.

I hope the light bulb has finally come on for LT. I dont expect him to be Jerome or Sapp but if he can at least be Russell Maryland, that is a huge problem for the opposing OL.

I agree with the assessment of Harvey. I believe he has turned the corner as he has been playing really well this season. Could be the $$$ of the NFL? I dont know but he has turned up the heat this year.

I think I saw Cribby or another poster saying X may start to see double teams. Well the question I have is if that happens who will cover Colbie because i dont think there is a DB, in the ACC at least,that can cover him 1 on 1.
Maryland was the first overall pick in the draft.

Advertisement
Well, X is not always wide open and these throws are going to get harder to complete against better talent. Despite the great catches he really should go to the wide open man more othen than to force it into X regardless to who he trust.
But the play in question wasn't[BGCOLOR=initial] a force. If X is his first read and he's open, I want him making that throw 100 out of 100 times. [/BGCOLOR]

Maryland was the first overall pick in the draft.
No disrespect to RM. That Cotton Bowl performance IMO was the most dominating performance by a DT even over Sapp vs FSU in 94. Just hoping Taylor can be in that same league which judging by the last couple of games he may be there.

Not much to mope about at this point but seemingly some will find something
What does it matter who is or is not catching passes. I sm confident in this offense TVD will find the open reciever

Advertisement
What separates Parrish from the others is the vision. He’s also a good pass blocker. Jack of all trades, master of none.
Dude is unmatched with his vision. Been saying this. Plus he will lower his shoulder and pop you.

Not much to mope about at this point but seemingly some will find something
What does it matter who is or is not catching passes. I sm confident in this offense TVD will find the open reciever
You know, you could have left off the first line. We are discussing where different of players can improve. No need to bring in that Mope nonsense. Everyone wnats to see these guys get better and better.

The second line I think most would agree with you. If he is completing 80% of his passes who cares who is catching. The discussion is more about TVD going to other WRs when teams start taking away X and Young. The better teams are going to place their best DB on them and the D focused on taking them away.

My opinion is he will need to go to other WRs. and not force it Not really all that crazy. If you are confident he will find the open WR, that's great, can't argue with you. TVD already threw a TD pass when the D took away X. So wonderful. Both our opinions are still valid.

You know, you could have left off the first line. We are discussing where different of players can improve. No need to bring in that Mope nonsense. Everyone wnats to see these guys get better and better.

The second line I think most would agree with you. If he is completing 80% of his passes who cares who is catching. The discussion is more about TVD going to other WRs when teams start taking away X and Young. The better teams are going to place their best DB on them and the D focused on taking them away.

My opinion is he will need to go to other WRs. and not force it Not really all that crazy. If you are confident he will find the open WR, that's great, can't argue with you. TVD already threw a TD pass when the D took away X. So wonderful. Both our opinions are still valid.
Just kind of a weird take when I don't think I've seen TVD force a pass all year. Maybe that one pick vs Miami (OH). And again, the one you cite doesn't make sense because X was the first read, and smoked his guy right off the LOS. I don't know what planet you're on to say he should have thrown it somewhere else.

Advertisement
Just kind of a weird take when I don't think I've seen TVD force a pass all year. Maybe that one pick vs Miami (OH). And again, the one you cite doesn't make sense because X was the first read, and smoked his guy right off the LOS. I don't know what planet you're on to say he should have thrown it somewhere else.
I am not sure what you mean. I did not cite one pass. I just said, in general, X is not always open. I gave TVD credit for throwing a TD when X was covered and went to another WR.

Advertisement
Lance: this is 100% spot on.

(although, the LOL for me personally, is that I never had fast enough feet to get to "Scramble") :p .... thank god for check downs.

It's clear from how TVD went through that play on the third TD, that his throw to George is an automatic. He sees man/press with no safety help, it's game on. One clue for me on the tape is if you look at TVD's shoulder as he comes through his drop to his hitch step, he's positioning to hit the sideline go route from the jump. Super throw. Kid can sling it, for sure.
Thanks for adding expertise from a former QB. I was a DB.

Advertisement
Back