Upon Further Review: Miami Spring Game

View as article
Marshall qualified for Air Force Special Tactics Officer training Phase II. This is a big deal. Marshall's dad was a Green Beret. The detachment has two kids who qualified. Very hard to make it and quite the accomplishment for the detachment. The Miami AFROTC juniors and seniors are a very impressive group.
This shows you why college football is more than just an NFL feeder program.

If you get any info when he gets commissioned, please start a thread.

Advertisement
I’m curious how long you’ve been following college football and recruiting . The level you’re crowning Williams and Taylor before they’ve even played a practice snap makes me think you’re a casual watcher. By your logic Mark Pope the former 5 star WR is the best WR on our team right ? I mean when you look at the stars, look at his offers, it doesn’t matter what we see with our own eyes huh
People were demanding that Richt start Lorenzo Lingard simply because he was a 5 star prospect. Now he’s going into his fourth season of college football with a career total of 22 carries. Almost all of them against Savanna State when he was a freshman. That was at running back, one of the easiest transitions that players make coming from high school. A freshman defensive tackle starting his very first game almost never happens. Especially at the P5 level where linemen are much bigger and stronger than lower levels.

Marshall qualified for Air Force Special Tactics Officer training Phase II. This is a big deal. Marshall's dad was a Green Beret. The detachment has two kids who qualified. Very hard to make it and quite the accomplishment for the detachment. The Miami AFROTC juniors and seniors are a very impressive group.
What is he?

CCT? PJ? SR?

I’m starting to think you’re trolling.
I don't think he's trolling I think he's a ~15 year old who's new to crootin. We've all been there before getting caught up in the crootin hype and arguing with the vets who know better.

For me that time was 2008 when I was shocked that Arthur Brown rode the pine as a Fr and Marcus Forston was just a guy. I wasn't actually that high on Forston but the point is 5* DT doesn't mean ****.

Imagine if James Williams had a 3 INT HS title game like Vaughn Telemaque did man the hype would be outrageous. Whatever happened to 'maque? 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
I’m curious how long you’ve been following college football and recruiting . The level you’re crowning Williams and Taylor before they’ve even played a practice snap makes me think you’re a casual watcher. By your logic Mark Pope the former 5 star WR is the best WR on our team right ? I mean when you look at the stars, look at his offers, it doesn’t matter what we see with our own eyes huh
I’ve been following CFB & Recruiting for over 10+ years. Mark Pope wasn’t a composite 5 star & he’s definitely not a program changing talent like LT & JW. If Malachi Moore (wasn’t EE) started & made an instant impact for Bama during a covid year then it shouldn’t be no reason for two of the top 10 talents in the nation not to contribute early & often. & btw Mark Pope has had 3 different OC’s & position coaches during his 4 seasons here. I blame the program for his bad development

Last edited:
I don't think he's trolling I think he's a ~15 year old who's new to crootin. We've all been there before getting caught up in the crootin hype and arguing with the vets who know better.

For me that time was 2008 when I was shocked that Arthur Brown rode the pine as a Fr and Marcus Forston was just a guy. I wasn't actually that high on Forston but the point is 5* DT doesn't mean ****.

Imagine if James Williams had a 3 INT HS title game like Vaughn Telemaque did man the hype would be outrageous. Whatever happened to 'maque? 🤷‍♂️
I’m actually an adult & been following CFB/recruiting for over 10+ years. I know how the business goes. You bringing up guys like Brown & Forston are irrelevant. That was a decade ago. The game has evolved & we are seeing a lot of true freshmen making plays all over CFB.

What is he?

CCT? PJ? SR?
Here is the official definition from the 24th Special Operations Wing below. I believe they are similar to Green Beret Operational Detachment A teams, where you have an officer in charge of the ODA. In the case of Army SF, it is a Captain leading the team. I am very far removed from AFSOC. 19 years ago I went back to the regular Air Force. I've been retired for 14 years ago. My son's first choice if he does not getting fighters is AC-130 Gunships. Chip off the old block. I'm kind of digging the AC-130J.

1619118709839.png

Special Tactics Officer (STO) - Special Tactics Airmen are elite special operators uniquely skilled in commanding and controlling operations integrating air and ground capabilities, often necessary in special operations, to achieve battlefield objectives. Special Tactics Officers (STOs) lead Special Tactics Teams (STTs) in preparation for worldwide contingency operations both in hostile and austere environments, ranging from counterterrorism missions to global humanitarian assistance operations.
  • While working alongside joint and coalition SOF partners, STOs coordinate employment of STTs at all levels of command to provide: global access for force projection; precision strike, i.e. close air support, combined arms, and strategic attack; personnel recovery/combat search and rescue, and battlefield trauma surgery.
  • As leaders responsible for delivering highly specialized capabilities outside the realm of conventional warfare, they are experts in planning and executing special reconnaissance, strike, and recovery missions.
  • STOs are trained in military static-line and free fall employment techniques, combat dive, demolition, and joint terminal attack control, they competently lead this effective, lethal fighting force by creative problem solving, will power, and dedication to their team members.

I’ve been following CFB & Recruiting for over 10+ years. Mark Pope wasn’t a composite 5 star & he’s definitely not a program changing talent like LT & JW. If Malachi Moore (wasn’t EE) started & made an instant impact for Bama during a covid year then it shouldn’t be no reason for two of the top 10 talents in the nation not to contribute early & often. & btw Mark Pope has had 3 different OC’s & position coaches during his 4 seasons here. I blame the program for his bad development
You KEEP bringing that freshman player up at Bama as if that proves your point but bringing up 5 star players who didn’t pan out is irrelevant ? Talking about oh he wasn’t composite lmao he was still highly rated . Tracy Howard anybody ? Arthur Brown anybody ? The list goes on

You’re basically proving yourself wrong . Bama gets 4 and 5 star freshmen every single year . If a freshman comes in on any given year and starts , doesn’t that mean he’s playing over former highly touted freshman and upperclassmen ? It’s pretty obvious not every single 5 star plays like a 5 star . Ain’t no way you’ve been following recruiting 10 years and don’t know that

Advertisement
Well I wouldn’t play them much either.

#88 is a great story, and I hope he becomes our greatest receiver ever. I just see things that make me believe that’s a long shot.
lol lance you like mello to have a better shot of playing this upcoming szn after what you seen last week or no?

I’m actually an adult & been following CFB/recruiting for over 10+ years. I know how the business goes. You bringing up guys like Brown & Forston are irrelevant. That was a decade ago. The game has evolved & we are seeing a lot of true freshmen making plays all over CFB.

I'm not going to jump on you any more. You love what those two guys bring, fair enough. But a lot of us have been following this recruiting thing for a long time. And while it's true there are a few special true freshman that start right away and turn heads, they're rare, even among 5-stars. We're just more tempered than you, but it's all good.

Part of the question of starting a true freshman is who is ahead of them. I really like Bolden, Hall, and A Williams, and I'm personally high on Balom. After that, it's the Hunger Games for who sees the field. I expect Washington and Harrell to move roles if JW and Kinchens are the guys I believe they are. But they're not getting starting reps IMHO.

As for what Taylor does, I just don't know. Forston and Chickillo started because we had no one ahead of them. I think Harvey and D Johnson are near finished goods and they're no chumps. Chantz Williams and Elijah Roberts are athletic freaks in their own right. Then you've got Cam Williams who has flashed a few times. So for Taylor to get the nod over any of these 5 would mean he's next level. I hope you're right and he is. I personally think he'll be the better option until 2022.

IMO, true freshmen who are going to see the most burn will be: Borregales, Chase Smith and Brashard Smith. Depending on transfers, we may see Thad and Brinson getting some early looks, as well. I wish there was a breakout LB to add to that group. But I don't see Troutman or T Johnson filling that position of need as true freshmen.

the difference between miami and alabama when it comes to 5 stars is pretty simple. when you're bringing in four 5 stars *every class* you have a much greater chance of a kid popping up as a contributor even if it's one that you may not have planned on or thought had the best chance to be an impact freshman. when you're getting four or five 5 stars in a 10 year period like we are then you're putting all your eggs in a single basket in the years where you happen to have a kid of that caliber, and when they turn out to be lorezno lingard or mark pope it looks like a failure. sometimes, you get a duke johnson (who has been conveniently left out of this discussion) but that's not the norm even for bama. when you have five shots a year at it tho you don't have to worry too much about whether a single particular kid is going to be ready the minute he steps on campus

So what have we learned in this thread?

Garcia should start over a healthy King (and Van Dyke) because looked pretty good in one scrimmage where no one was allowed to touch him

Leonard Taylor and James Williams won't see the field next year because Manny never plays freshmen, expect the 15 or so freshmen that played a bunch last year

Brian Balom (who's injured) should play over James Williams because Williams doesn't know how to tackle

Brian Balom should also have his scholarship revoked, ostensibly after he's done playing over James Williams

We have a walk-on WR who's a combination of Anquan Boldin and Kyle Pitts and AJ Brown who should also be moved to TE although no one has ever seen him try block anyone

The defense was pretty vanilla, so Shoop must be up in the press box drinking Dos Equises and checking his crypto stock

Advertisement
You KEEP bringing that freshman player up at Bama as if that proves your point but bringing up 5 star players who didn’t pan out is irrelevant ? Talking about oh he wasn’t composite lmao he was still highly rated . Tracy Howard anybody ? Arthur Brown anybody ? The list goes on

You’re basically proving yourself wrong . Bama gets 4 and 5 star freshmen every single year . If a freshman comes in on any given year and starts , doesn’t that mean he’s playing over former highly touted freshman and upperclassmen ? It’s pretty obvious not every single 5 star plays like a 5 star . Ain’t no way you’ve been following recruiting 10 years and don’t know that
Once again you naming guys like Pope, Howard, & Brown who was failed by previous coaching staffs. If everybody think this the best staff that Miami has had in 15+ years then they shouldn’t have no problem getting LT & JW ready to play week 1.

Advertisement
All I’m saying is Jess Simpson & T-Rob two highly regarded coaches at their positions need to earn their pay checks. LT & JW should be ready for week 1. Need those guys to make an instant impact for us. I see two future top 5 picks when I turn on the film & the tape never lies. Go Canes 12-0 ACC Championship 🙌🏽

The offense lacks a true elite playmaker. Someone with that’s true 4.3/low 4.4s and the ability to change direction on a dime. Someone like JT but with work ethic or Yulkeith Brown. KD from Florida type. Need to find that player in this class and land him.

This shows you why college football is more than just an NFL feeder program.

If you get any info when he gets commissioned, please start a thread.
How funny! There is a story about Marshall on the University Athletic Website posted today. LoL, I think I gave you more detail.

Advertisement
Back