Upon Further Review- Florida State

@Lance Roffers had a question on the play where Harley dropped/defender swiped the ball out on a deep crosser coming from left to right. It seemed like Pope was coming open on a streak from the right side. Do you think King could have taken a shot there or is it just a case of pope looking open because the safety released pope to make a play on the pass? Thanks
The latter.

Advertisement
Yes, no shade at Finley. I was a big fan. He just isn't as fluid as Gil.
Frierson was definitely the upgrade at Striker but Romeo Finley can lay claim to the fact that he was the first to make the position what it is. 2-3 years from now when Chase Smith is dominating at Striker we should still tip our cap to Romeo.

3 round boxing during the bye.

I think you put Campbell back out there if he's fully healed, and I expect the coaches to do this. There's a reason he originally won the job, and I don't think they'll go away from starting him after a game against a weak (it feels so good to type that) opponent.

But if he struggles, you can rotate in Zion with reason.
During CMD’s post-FSU game comments, CMD hinted that Campbell and Nelson could play together at the same time, with one at LT and the other at LG. By playing them together, the Canes coaches would resolve the problem of Clark getting overwhelmed/overmatched by more talented DT. The Canes will need a LG who can stand up Talent-wise to Clemson’s DTs. King, Cam and the other RBs will appreciate that move.

I give Zion, Ivey and Frierson credit for exceeding my expectations during this game. Frierson, Ivey and Zion made legitimate improvements, and congratulations to them and the coaches for the significant improvements.

Advertisement
Great analysis as usual, @Lance Roffers!

Excited to see our dudes make such huge strides this season so far. Our QB, OL, RB, TE, DL and S play has been outstanding.

CB play seems to be getting much better as the season goes on, and our WR’s have a chance of getting much better as the season goes on, in my opinion.

As everyone else has said, LB is probably our biggest glaring weakness. Hopefully as the season goes on either the starters will figure it out and play more instinctively, or some of our young, athletic lions will be ready to take their place.

Only surprise for me was not seeing Nasty Nesta in your 5-Star players. I thought that he was extremely disruptive all game long, and wreaked havoc on the Noles offensive game plan.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Jade, and how you graded his play this past Saturday night?

The latter.
@Lance Roffers had a question on the play where Harley dropped/defender swiped the ball out on a deep crosser coming from left to right. It seemed like Pope was coming open on a streak from the right side. Do you think King could have taken a shot there or is it just a case of pope looking open because the safety released pope to make a play on the pass? Thanks
There was no safety over top. He just didn’t see Pope

I saw with my own eyes the FSU LT try to jump set on Roche expecting him to go that direction. You are free to see it differently.

Nesta beat Lucas plenty in this game, but yes on that play it was #53 he beat.

I’m often asked why I spend hours and hours on these and this response is why. People read these and a certain percentage CANNOT WAIT to find something to gotcha on. I don’t like Lucas aNd the way he acted towards Miami, so mostly I was just having fun with him.

That said, I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond.
I don’t think I came at you with the gotcha moment but more so pointing out some details. We’re all here to learn something anyways.

A reach block is not a jump set. Saw it with my own two offensive one coach eyes. Lol

Advertisement
Great analysis as usual, @Lance Roffers!

Excited to see our dudes make such huge strides this season so far. Our QB, OL, RB, TE, DL and S play has been outstanding.

CB play seems to be getting much better as the season goes on, and our WR’s have a chance of getting much better as the season goes on, in my opinion.

As everyone else has said, LB is probably our biggest glaring weakness. Hopefully as the season goes on either the starters will figure it out and play more instinctively, or some of our young, athletic lions will be ready to take their place.

Only surprise for me was not seeing Nasty Nesta in your 5-Star players. I thought that he was extremely disruptive all game long, and wreaked havoc on the Noles offensive game plan.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Jade, and how you graded his play this past Saturday night?
He was very good. When your team plays great, making a list of standouts is tough.

Five Stars
  • D’Eriq King- This guy is the savior of the program. Not just in his ability on the field, but his leadership as well. Focused, driven, ready. Just like the team.
  • Zion Nelson- On most plays, I had to watch it multiple times just to see what number was going against him. He was dominant and didn’t allow a defender to even pressure King on this night by my count.
  • Bubba Bolden- Tackles, interception, tipped pass leading to an interception. This kid is playing like a legitimate All-American
  • Gilbert Frierson- I highlighted his leadership and communication in this game and I believe this was the best game he has played as a Cane.
  • Quincy Roche- Consistently won off the edge and I’m pretty sure he made their LT cry at one point.
5A. DJ Ivey- What a performance against a WR who is supposedly a draft prospect. Not only did he lock him down in this one, he made him opt out of the rest of the season (career?). Nice job, kid. I honestly believe in you.

Lowlights
  • Two ejections, one which carries over into the Clemson game (Gurvan Hall first half). Florida State was dirty in this game, grabbing anything they could, leading with the crown of their helmets, facemasks, choke holds, talking ish. But, with all that said, you have to hold your water and not get ejected.
  • Penalties. There were entirely too many penalties in this game and they will cause a loss against a team with a pulse.
  • Jennings/McCloud really struggled to defend the flats and it’s the only place FSU was able to attack and score. When the coaching staff scripted plays, their method of attack was at the LB’s. Hoping for more improvement as the season goes along.
Overall
This game was exactly what needed to happen. An inferior opponent came into Miami’s home and the Hurricanes played a focused game that eliminated any doubt immediately. I don’t remember the last time Miami scored TD’s on every drive in the first half, and the only reason they were stopped on the last drive is because the clock ran out.
Fantastic write up.
when I started a post (admittedly too close to game time), arguing that McCloud was too often fooled on misdirection and was unable to cover the tight end consistently, I was killed by many on here.
Well I gladly defer to my superior Mr. Rockers who knows this game better than I do, but came away with the same conclusion about our linebackers. I could have included Jennings but I was focused on the FSU touchdown drive.
Its Ok to admit the flaws because it is how a team improves and how we all improve as people. We have flaws or weak points on our defense as does every team. But it’s OK to discuss them and it’s not a sign of disrespect,

I'm honestly shocked about Nelson. The kid was literally the worst lineman in the ACC last season. And he doesn't get beaten once.

I think we can safely put to rest the discussion on whether it's talent vs. development that matters. Nelson is exhibit A that you need the raw materials, but that a bad coach can totally derail a kid's performance and a good coach can mask all the weaknesses until the player is fully developed. Kudos to Zion! Kudos to Justice!

Who knows, maybe Donaldson will turn out to be the guy we always thought he could once he comes back and buys into Justice' coaching approach. And we've got Rivers and Walker in the oven baking right now. Good things are on there way for this OL!
I think, more importantly, he's got to buy into Feely's approach.

Advertisement
Lb position probably just needs a coaching change then we can see how good they could be. Same thing was said about O line until we got a competent coach now they are not that bad.

Nice to score 52 and know you still left a number of big(ger) plays on the field, e.g., Knighton not following lead blocking Mallory outside, King's overthrows, Zion stopping dead right in front of screen to Chaney.

Not nice to think of what Trevor Lawrence might do to our underneath pass coverage.

I like Jakai Clark at the left guard position. He is able to work to the 2nd level getting backers better than most of our linemen at this moment and he plays with a mean streak similar to DJ Scaife. He might struggle with brute strength but he doesn’t give up on plays when beat and loves to finish when he got somebody on skates.

Advertisement
He was very good. When your team plays great, making a list of standouts is tough.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, Lance! That totally makes sense.

Glad that you agree that he played really well, but understand your point completely.

I'm honestly shocked about Nelson. The kid was literally the worst lineman in the ACC last season. And he doesn't get beaten once.

I think we can safely put to rest the discussion on whether it's talent vs. development that matters. Nelson is exhibit A that you need the raw materials, but that a bad coach can totally derail a kid's performance and a good coach can mask all the weaknesses until the player is fully developed. Kudos to Zion! Kudos to Justice!

Who knows, maybe Donaldson will turn out to be the guy we always thought he could once he comes back and buys into Justice' coaching approach. And we've got Rivers and Walker in the oven baking right now. Good things are on there way for this OL!

Donaldson just has to commit to stabilizing his weight.

He could MOVE people on the inside before his weight got COMPLETELY out of control.

3 round boxing during the bye.

I think you put Campbell back out there if he's fully healed, and I expect the coaches to do this. There's a reason he originally won the job, and I don't think they'll go away from starting him after a game against a weak (it feels so good to type that) opponent.

But if he struggles, you can rotate in Zion with reason.
If Jakai is struggling bc of size can Campbell play guard? That immediately came to mind after seeing Jakai get moved so easily. I feel like that’s the easiest answer and makes the most sense

Advertisement
Back