Upon Further Review- Florida State

View as article
3 round boxing during the bye.

I think you put Campbell back out there if he's fully healed, and I expect the coaches to do this. There's a reason he originally won the job, and I don't think they'll go away from starting him after a game against a weak (it feels so good to type that) opponent.

But if he struggles, you can rotate in Zion with reason.
If Jakai is struggling bc of size can Campbell play guard? That immediately came to mind after seeing Jakai get moved so easily. I feel like that’s the easiest answer and makes the most sense

Advertisement
If Jakai is struggling bc of size can Campbell play guard? That immediately came to mind after seeing Jakai get moved so easily. I feel like that’s the easiest answer and makes the most sense
Would not surprise me

Sounds like Zion-Campbell-Gaynor-Scaife-Williams should be experimented.

Great break down. I remember when we were recruiting Frierson, everyone was excited about his length and potential as a DB. Now we’ve got a dude committed who’s even bigger in James Williams, scary what type of athletes this defense can feature in the coming years. Just need to step it up at CB recruiting of course.

Love this breakdown every week Lance!

Two Takeaways -

1 - It's safe to say our 2 starting LBs, McCloud and Jennings are a huge issue. Hopefully they show strides now that they've had more film time and starting reps, but IMO McCloud just doesn't have the football IQ and instincts, and it looks like Jennings doesn't either. I don't care how many times he's "thumped" somebody in practice. We need Brooks and Huff to grow up fast.

2 - Out of all OL positions, and don't get me wrong, they've been a HUGE improvement and have looked great, but LG has been the spot with the least consistency. How about we start Zion and Campbell both at LT & LG spots? Campbell looked great at G last year IMO; and Zion was phenomenal against FSU

Advertisement
Love this breakdown every week Lance!

Two Takeaways -

1 - It's safe to say our 2 starting LBs, McCloud and Jennings are a huge issue. Hopefully they show strides now that they've had more film time and starting reps, but IMO McCloud just doesn't have the football IQ and instincts, and it looks like Jennings doesn't either. I don't care how many times he's "thumped" somebody in practice. We need Brooks and Huff to grow up fast.

2 - Out of all OL positions, and don't get me wrong, they've been a HUGE improvement and have looked great, but LG has been the spot with the least consistency. How about we start Zion and Campbell both at LT & LG spots? Campbell looked great at G last year IMO; and Zion was phenomenal against FSU
I would say that all of the LB's have underwhelmed this season. McCloud has probably been the best, because he has had some good moments in pass defense. Jennings has not played well this year, and Brooks has had struggles holding up in the run game. It's definitely an issue.

Coming into the year I made it no secret I thought John Campbell should be the LG this season. He surpassed my expectations at LT and that's a great thing. I do agree that our best OL is Zion/Campbell/Gaynor/Scaife/Williams at the moment.

The team is slowly but surely building towards an upper echelon team, but there are still areas to improve, such as LB.

Thanks, @Lance Roffers, great as always.

Zion Nelson is the epitome of what happens when coaches put you in a position to succeed, but also when mental toughness lets you bounce back from being set up to fail so much last year.

I don't know what is going on in Baker's head, but you can't give a team like Clemson free money as much as we seem to do it. I'm particularly worried about this penchant for uncovered receivers more than 10 yards downfield. Clemson's o-line can pass off. Etienne in the flat will kills us a few times if we don't scheme some help.

FSU was a program in a tailspin that I don't know will pull out of it anytime soon. They've recruited the wrong kids perhaps even more so than we have. To be getting your *** kicked as bad as they are and be talking s*** like you're winning is something crazy. They did last year too.

There was a long Bruce Feldman article in The Athletic where Lashlee specifically said Campbell wasn't a guard; he said he was a prototypical tackle.

Maybe things could change, but there doesn't seem to be any eagerness to move Campbell there.

Advertisement
Back