Upon Further Review- Corey Flagg

The difference isn't as large as you are making it out to be. Clemson has taken smaller classes than anyone, so that's handicapped their recruiting average. We all know they've recruited better than the 11th best.

And Look at what they are doing on the recruiting trail this year? Have they decided to scrap their old method and are now using Bama's? Or is it just that they are the hot team now, so they have all the best players beating down their door to play for them, like Bama has had for the last 8-10 years?
And why do u think they've taken smaller classes than anyone? bc they couldn't find some random player to commit? They had those small classes bc they weren't taking just anybody. He had to fit what they were trying to do. Same reason why u still to this day hear about them turning down highly rated recruits. Sometimes it's bc the player doesn't fit them.

lets look at what Clemson is doing this year. They have a lot more interest from the highly ranked guys that fit what they're looking for. You'd be surprised at what a natty can do for recruiting.

Bama won the NFL Draft way. Take the most talented player. Some fit and some didn't, but if they were highly ranked, Bama was taking them. Same thing UGA is doing now. Clemson won by taking players that fit their scheme and culture and then they developed them. Those are two different strategies.

Advertisement
Recruiting LBs under this current regime has sucked and thats been a constant fact.

The trio was evaluated by Golden.

Flagg not being top flight should come as no surprise if you been paying attention the last few years.

Lol Shaq looked slow?? Compared to who Jeff Thomas? He lead the ACC in tackles for loss for a linebacker, was one of the better LBers in pass coverage, and leader of one of the best defenses in the country. Any poster that said that is completely lost on the subject.
All of that is great but stats don't tell the whole story. Shaq always looked 2 steps behind in many of the games. Look back at the gameday threads and the film. Shaq ran a 4.7 in HS. Flagg looks even slower. This was a questionable take.

Last edited:
Advertisement
On 2nd down, Flagg over pursues his gap and runs right into his force player, allowing the QB to cut the ball back inside (On the 25-yard line). If Flagg stays in his gap he knifes in and probably tackles the QB for a loss. Instead, this goes for a huge run. At least Flagg hustled down and made the tackle about 35-yards downfield. He gets up yelling at the guy he ran into (42), but I’m not sure what he’s upset about. I don’t see a way that he would be responsible for the outside and the outside guy would supposed to be somewhere else on this play.

You don't know what their gameplan adjustments were going into this game. Inverted veer is a common play and they might have a delayed scrape exchange call where 42 is supposed to attack the QB when he keeps. There's definitely no defense I know of that calls for a LB to stand paralyzed when the play is right in front of him. Flagg opens his hips to the sideline as he sees 42 in position to make the play. You think that was an accident and he yells at 42 for no reason?

The alternative theory is he lost track of the ball at the mesh point but it seemed like an easy read, and 42 still should have made the play anyway.

On the other hand I'm surprised you didn't clip the 1st quarter TD where Flagg was duped by jet motion on a counter play.

Then the lack of athleticism and burst. He can’t close after eluding the blocker and whiffs badly on this tackle. RB walks into end zone.

The OL scissorkick tripped him. It was a blatant missed call right in front of the official. There was another play at 4:00 in the 4th where he was pushed in the back. Btw sidestepping a block while maintaining balance is athleticism.

Something that will need to be coached out of him at the next level is to be more lane-disciplined. Once again he is jumping out of his area with aggression. He’s the arm pushing on #42 right in the middle. The gap between the C/G (A-gaps) is his. #10 is left on the cutback to cover two gaps here and no safety behind him.

He should be taking on the puller on this play. #10 made an incredible play though. Always fun when you take out the blocker and the back.

It’s a pretty consistent theme that I’ve seen thus far in this film review. He is simply not fast. Here he has a free run at this RB with an angle and he doesn’t get there in time. The RB beats him to this hole (I mean to the inside of the OL) and has to be tackled at the 16-yard line. This can’t happen, that play has to be made by your MLB. (#2 on the ground in second shot)

Agree. This was egregious. Typically when guys are (not) moving like this there's an injury involved. If that's his normal full speed then it's problematic.

Flagg’s lack of speed and/or mass shows up often in this game. Here, he has the RB in the backfield. He reads it. He sees it. He fires his gun. He just doesn’t have the athleticism to finish the play. This goes for a TD.

Gross misrepresentation. The QB dropped the snap so Flagg stepped forward in response. By the time the handoff was executed his routine alley (over the top meeting 2 pullers) for this play was gone and he took too sharp of an angle. This was an unfortunate technique error not an athleticism issue.

Way too aggressive here. Flagg is the last white shirt there. He has to understand this is overrunning the play. This allows the ball carrier to cut back into that huge lane you see there. He needs to be trailing that play and looking to close that hole if the ballcarrier reverses field. Not a good play at all and he nearly scores.

Turns his shoulders to the sideline which is a huge no no. He's very agile and moves almost as fast strafing laterally as he does sprinting in this game. No reason for this.

---

My impression is Flagg has a knack for sifting through traffic and defeating blocks with multiple methods. That's an exceedingly rare skill. He's agile but in this game he moves sluggish and slow with no burst or tracking speed. He moves much better in other footage I've seen of him so as is the case with many prospects people should wait to draw conclusions until later this fall.

Recruiting LBs under this current regime has sucked and thats been a constant fact.

The trio was evaluated by Golden.

Flagg not being top flight should come as no surprise if you been paying attention the last few years.

So you don’t like Huff and Brooks right? For a position’s recruiting to constantly suck, they have to all be bums then in your esteemed opinion?

I’ll miss the seniors but I’m looking forward to next year when we’re starting over from scratch at LB. For ALL the *****ing about it, we better be atrocious at that position for years to come.

Advertisement
And why do u think they've taken smaller classes than anyone? bc they couldn't find some random player to commit? They had those small classes bc they weren't taking just anybody. He had to fit what they were trying to do. Same reason why u still to this day hear about them turning down highly rated recruits. Sometimes it's bc the player doesn't fit them.

lets look at what Clemson is doing this year. They have a lot more interest from the highly ranked guys that fit what they're looking for. You'd be surprised at what a natty can do for recruiting.

Bama won the NFL Draft way. Take the most talented player. Some fit and some didn't, but if they were highly ranked, Bama was taking them. Same thing UGA is doing now. Clemson won by taking players that fit their scheme and culture and then they developed them. Those are two different strategies.
They had 3 recruiting classes in a row with 17 players or less. Clemson isn't going without. They've been taking smaller classes bc they've had less dudes transfer out, so they have less schollies they can distribute. They were pretty lucky with that, but now they are dealing with guys jumping into the portal too.

You don't know what their gameplan adjustments were going into this game. Inverted veer is a common play and they might have a delayed scrape exchange call where 42 is supposed to attack the QB when he keeps. There's definitely no defense I know of that calls for a LB to stand paralyzed when the play is right in front of him. Flagg opens his hips to the sideline as he sees 42 in position to make the play. You think that was an accident and he yells at 42 for no reason?

The alternative theory is he lost track of the ball at the mesh point but it seemed like an easy read, and 42 still should have made the play anyway.

On the other hand I'm surprised you didn't clip the 1st quarter TD where Flagg was duped by jet motion on a counter play.

The OL scissorkick tripped him. It was a blatant missed call right in front of the official. There was another play at 4:00 in the 4th where he was pushed in the back. Btw sidestepping a block while maintaining balance is athleticism.

He should be taking on the puller on this play. #10 made an incredible play though. Always fun when you take out the blocker and the back.

Agree. This was egregious. Typically when guys are (not) moving like this there's an injury involved. If that's his normal full speed then it's problematic.

Gross misrepresentation. The QB dropped the snap so Flagg stepped forward in response. By the time the handoff was executed his routine alley (over the top meeting 2 pullers) for this play was gone and he took too sharp of an angle. This was an unfortunate technique error not an athleticism issue.

Turns his shoulders to the sideline which is a huge no no. He's very agile and moves almost as fast strafing laterally as he does sprinting in this game. No reason for this.

---

My impression is Flagg has a knack for sifting through traffic and defeating blocks with multiple methods. That's an exceedingly rare skill. He's agile but in this game he moves sluggish and slow with no burst or tracking speed. He moves much better in other footage I've seen of him so as is the case with many prospects people should wait to draw conclusions until later this fall.

So whom do you feel UM should take at LB for 2020?

Go Canes

They had 3 recruiting classes in a row with 17 players or less. Clemson isn't going without. They've been taking smaller classes bc they've had less dudes transfer out, so they have less schollies they can distribute. They were pretty lucky with that, but now they are dealing with guys jumping into the portal too.

They are still taking a max of 22 this cycle - that's straight from their 247 mod, who is one of the more plugged -in mods and she's been consistent in reporting that

Advertisement
Lance - nice breakdown. Curious to know if you were aware while watching that the QB who houdini’d him a few times is one of the top 50 players in the nation?

Yeah, he’s listed on the very first screen shot. They talked him up etc. Good player. Even hurt his shoulder in this game and returned and was still making plays.

Frankly, Duncanville was the better team in that game.

I'll role the dice with the young man Flagg. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign with UM. Still lots of time left before signing day and much will be determined, STARS signed, depending on the success of the season obviously and the bigger names will see 4 Senior LB's graduating.

As for the LB recruiting the last couple of years, I disagree with those saying it stinks and Diaz stinks. You had three stud LB's starting as true freshmen which always makes it tough to bring in additional studs knowing they will sit. We all know 4 and 5 STAR players want to start right away so I'm not surprised we signed a few 3 STAR's in the 17 and 18 cycles. If anything we can be critical of the number recruited at the position and perhaps due to the lack in LB numbers the Striker position was created. The Striker position for Diaz has evolved his Defense eliminating the conventional Mike, Will and Sam positions which don't necessarily apply any longer.

The depth going forward is solid in my position. I think guys like Huff, Brooks, Frierson(Striker position), Joyner and Jennings all have great long term upside and will provide depth in 2019 backing up the vets - M.P., Shaq, Zach and Finley. Added but not forgotten; Wilder and Steed won't play this year and let's hope for them that they recover 125% and ready to go in 2020...

Advertisement
I didn’t realize he played for North Shore. That’s a good Hs football team. Beat Duncanville by 1 in the championship game. BTW Duncanville is the real deal in TX. Has an enrollment of over 6000 students. So that get the top talent in south Dallas

I'll role the dice with the young man Flagg. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign with UM. Still lots of time left before signing day and much will be determined, STARS signed, depending on the success of the season obviously and the bigger names will see 4 Senior LB's graduating.

As for the LB recruiting the last couple of years, I disagree with those saying it stinks and Diaz stinks. You had three stud LB's starting as true freshmen which always makes it tough to bring in additional studs knowing they will sit. We all know 4 and 5 STAR players want to start right away so I'm not surprised we signed a few 3 STAR's in the 17 and 18 cycles. If anything we can be critical of the number recruited at the position and perhaps due to the lack in LB numbers the Striker position was created. The Striker position for Diaz has evolved his Defense eliminating the conventional Mike, Will and Sam positions which don't necessarily apply any longer.

The depth going forward is solid in my position. I think guys like Huff, Brooks, Frierson(Striker position), Joyner and Jennings all have great long term upside and will provide depth in 2019 backing up the vets - M.P., Shaq, Zach and Finley. Added but not forgotten; Wilder and Steed won't play this year and let's hope for them that they recover 125% and ready to go in 2020...
mccloud wasnt a stud but the fans here dont realize the injuries. first off, its hard to pitch players to come and be backs ups to a young trio unless you are winning like bama or clemson. Do people forget joyner was a 4 star flip from FSU? Steed was well-regarded but had injuries problems. Brooks and Huff were well-regarded. Im not a fan of this take but you people just love to complain.

This is false about bama. Saban absolutely looks for fit. The guy has a chart for each position and what he is looking for down to the height and weight range.

Advertisement
Back