Upon Further Review- Corey Flagg

Advertisement
Speed is definitely a concern kinda comforting knowing our top two current LBs aren't exactly elite athletes. I think he's a high floor low ceiling type and that can be useful if the higher ceiling types (Huff, Brooks etc.) don't work out

No offense to Lance. He does a great job but you guys were just killing him for his evaluation of Kennedy, now everyone is in a panic about this kid. Relax

No doubt I underestimated his strength deficiencies against a lower level. Admittedly not the most experience projecting non-scholarship players to ACC level. I missed for that reason.

The hope is I’m underestimating the instincts and how they can have this kid play up at the next level.

Scheme fit, need for LB’s, great kid, hard worker. I have no problem with the tale given the circumstances.

No doubt I underestimated his strength deficiencies against a lower level. Admittedly not the most experience projecting non-scholarship players to ACC level. I missed for that reason.

The hope is I’m underestimating the instincts and how they can have this kid play up at the next level.

Scheme fit, need for LB’s, great kid, hard worker. I have no problem with the tale given the circumstances.

All understandable!! I get it for sure. I am just trying to get ppl to understand that it isn’t time to panic

Advertisement
He looked good in his spring film at safety that's for sure

Looked like he got faster and he can cover !

highlight films and game films are to different thing that's for sure... Every player has a ton of bad plays etc, it is what it is

But...but..but... he plays faster on film. Shaq got a lot of hate for looking slow this season and posters are largely ignoring the slow recruits Manny is getting.

Lol Shaq looked slow?? Compared to who Jeff Thomas? He lead the ACC in tackles for loss for a linebacker, was one of the better LBers in pass coverage, and leader of one of the best defenses in the country. Any poster that said that is completely lost on the subject.

Advertisement
Corey Flagg is a linebacker that has all the tools to add competition and eventually get in the rotation for significant playing time. After he further develops and goes through Coach Feeleys strength and conditioning program, I think he can be better than Mike Smith imo.

Everyone we recruit can't all be starters. This is a depth take that fits the defense.

It's obvious that Manny is taking the Clemson route instead of Alabama. Instead of taking the more talented player that doesn't fit your scheme, he's taking the player that fits the scheme even if he's lower rated. Clemson won a natty with like a 11th ranked recruiting average bc they got a QB and filled the roster with their type of players. Alabama and UGA, more often than not, take the highest rated player on their board even if he doesn't fit.

I agree that all guys can’t be starters but you should recruit them as if they should/could bc if the guy in front of them doesn’t pan out, then they might need to start or at least contribute in a rotation. Plus I don’t agree with the Bama reference. They do recruit guys that fit their system, especially the defense and running backs. Even if they sometimes take a highly ranked guy who doesn’t fit perfectly it’s still probably better than a lower ranked guy who does solely on the fact he’s probably more athletically and physically gifted.

The one big criticism about Manny since he arrived (also the same at Texas) has been LB recruiting/depth and development. I think it’s fair to continue questioning that this year. The trio here looked great as freshmen but McCloud has regressed and Shaq/Pinck while good, haven’t taken that AA step many expected. The depth? It’s frightening. Had shaq and pinck gone pro, we’d be screwed.

Corey Flagg is a linebacker that has all the tools to add competition and eventually get in the rotation for significant playing time. After he further develops and goes through Coach Feeleys strength and conditioning program, I think he can be better than Mike Smith imo.

I agree. There is no comparison between this player & Mike Smith coming out. Mike Smith was a DE in high school

After he further develops and goes through Coach Feeleys strength and conditioning program, I think he can be better than Mike Smith imo.

One of the reasons I tend to shy away from mentioning other players when profiling a player is this very thing. I'm not saying he is going to be exactly Mike Smith (who was a nice player before injuries took some athleticism and he eventually got into an NFL camp despite being a college backup). I am saying his deficiencies remind one of Mike Smith, who was a very assignment sound player who would often be in the right position but struggle to actually finish the play due to athletic limitations.

Charles Wright (Vanderbilt), Arden Key (LSU), Garret Dooley (Wisconsin), Joe Giles-Harris (Duke), Keishawn Bierria (Washington), Parris Bennett (Syracuse) all ran in the same area as the 4.92 40 that Flagg ran. Many of these guys were more 3-4 OLB types, but several were also MLB types so it is not a death knell.

Advertisement
Hard to overlook the slow feet. I saw it several times on his HUDL. Mike Smith is a great comparison.

Advertisement
I agree that all guys can’t be starters but you should recruit them as if they should/could bc if the guy in front of them doesn’t pan out, then they might need to start or at least contribute in a rotation. Plus I don’t agree with the Bama reference. They do recruit guys that fit their system, especially the defense and running backs. Even if they sometimes take a highly ranked guy who doesn’t fit perfectly it’s still probably better than a lower ranked guy who does solely on the fact he’s probably more athletically and physically gifted.

The one big criticism about Manny since he arrived (also the same at Texas) has been LB recruiting/depth and development. I think it’s fair to continue questioning that this year. The trio here looked great as freshmen but McCloud has regressed and Shaq/Pinck while good, haven’t taken that AA step many expected. The depth? It’s frightening. Had shaq and pinck gone pro, we’d be screwed.
Wait, so u think Bama and Clemson have the same recruiting strategy?

Bama recruits like NFL franchises, take the highest player on our board. Clemson didn't win a natty with a 11th ranked recruiting average by taking the highest player. They took the guy that fits their culture and scheme and developed him.

Wait, so u think Bama and Clemson have the same recruiting strategy?

Bama recruits like NFL franchises, take the highest player on our board. Clemson didn't win a natty with a 11th ranked recruiting average by taking the highest player. They took the guy that fits their culture and scheme and developed him.
The difference isn't as large as you are making it out to be. Clemson has taken smaller classes than anyone, so that's handicapped their recruiting average. We all know they've recruited better than the 11th best.

And Look at what they are doing on the recruiting trail this year? Have they decided to scrap their old method and are now using Bama's? Or is it just that they are the hot team now, so they have all the best players beating down their door to play for them, like Bama has had for the last 8-10 years?

Advertisement
Back