Upon Further Review: Cam Ward

View as article
Advertisement
It’s certainly a bit of a guess because I’m not privy to the inner-workings of what’s going on with the team on a day-to-day basis, but it definitely looked to me about as expected.

I thought there was an emphasis on getting the ball to players in space quickly and letting them get more easy yards than his predecessor. I thought between the 20’s his game plan was solid and married what the roster does well.

Inside the red zone I felt like he was too reliant on that 3x1 set and looking for that fade backside, or trying to hit slant when things were condensed. There needs to be creativity in those situations in my view.

I felt like the run game was a bit basic and hope to see more explosive elements incorporated.

Additionally, I didn’t always love the plan of attack. I felt like there were games the opponent had weaknesses that weren’t exposed as they could’ve been. It felt like opponent adjustments took away first options and then the offense struggled to find a counter at times.

Keep in mind, the opponents are getting paid to coach as well and it’s not going to be perfect.

Overall, I felt like Dawson did a really nice job having a QB get hurt, then the tips, then having a true freshman QB that wasn’t ready. He still ended with a top-40 offense and if some of the red zone woes get rectified, he is a very solid OC.

Last year, I give him a B, which is a good grade. Not many A’s out there.

@Lance Roffers : I felt like the run game was a bit basic and hope to see more explosive elements incorporated.

I got the sense a lot of those basic runs were TVD presnap adjustments, and we did better when we seemed to take away his decision making authority after Emory went down vs FSU. Can you confirm or did I get that wrong?

Agree that the RZ is the biggest cause for concern. Would have helped if we had a TE who could catch. But very little originality. That Louisville loss where we were 1st down on the 4 yard line to tie it up was the worst.

@Lance Roffers : I felt like the run game was a bit basic and hope to see more explosive elements incorporated.

I got the sense a lot of those basic runs were TVD presnap adjustments, and we did better when we seemed to take away his decision making authority after Emory went down vs FSU. Can you confirm or did I get that wrong?

Agree that the RZ is the biggest cause for concern. Would have helped if we had a TE who could catch. But very little originality. That Louisville loss where we were 1st down on the 4 yard line to tie it up was the worst.
Dawson actually drew up some really creative plays a few times in the RZ. Unfortunately it wasn’t often or consistently enough. One of the season’s mysteries

Advertisement
The real question is will he get developed like Caleb to where he might have a chance to go in the first two rounds? (He was probably a round five guy this year)

Will he be showcased and protected by the scheme to have his skills play up?

It’s the big question for me and I know Cristobal has to be aware of the optics and how he needs to show he can do it.

Get Ward into the 1st and you have two 1st round QB’s on your resume, one from the portal, that you can sell both sides forever. Freshmen, you can be developed. Transfers, we will get you drafted higher.

Big year for Coach.
If not , he might as well just turn in his resignation

Advertisement
Back