Upon Further Review- Alabama

View as article
Lance reviews should be required reading for Manny and the coaching staff.

No disrespect to Lance as he does a great job, but I'm sure Manny and company do far more film study than Lance. In addition to that they know what play specifically was called and the players assignments.

Advertisement
Lance - I know we did not lose the game because of officiating, but you seem upset at how one-sided the calls were in favor of Bama. This wasn't the only game where we got the short end of the stick. It is a regular occurrence for Miami. As fans. we complain to no end and ultimately expect the calls to go against us. As JJ once said, "We not only have to defeat the opponent, but the officials as well."

We are no longer so talented that we can overcome biased officiating. My question is what can we do about? We've had coaches send film to the ACC office for review. We've tried having our players be more respectful to officials. I also witnessed the staff seemingly triyimg to become "friendlier" with officials. We tired yelling and complaining during games...even CMR once incurred a 15 yard penalty because an officiating crew refused to call holding. Nothing seems to work. No matter what we do, we get screwed.

Manny doesnt seem to rant but I would much prefer a Saban-like approach and incur the occasional penalty instead of just taking it up the **** every game. Amy suggestions?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lance - I know we did not lose the game because of officiating, but you seem upset at how one-sided the calls were in favor of Bama. This wasn't the only game where we got the short end of the stick. It is a regular occurrence for Miami. As fans. we complain to no end and ultimately expect the calls to go against us. As JJ once said, "We not only have to defeat the opponent, but the officials as well."

We are no longer so talented that we can overcome biased officiating. My question is what can we do about? We've had coaches send film to the ACC office for review. We've tried having our players be more respectful to officials. We seemingly tried to become "friendlier" with officials. We tired yelling and complaining during games...even CMR once incurred a 15 yard penalty because an officiating crew refused to call holding. Nothing seems to work. No matter what we do, we get screwed.

Manny doesnt seem to rant but I would much prefer a Saban-like approach and incur the occasional penalty instead of just taking it up the **** every game. Amy suggestions?

Thoughts?
You’ve gotta be proactive with the officials and point out what they’re doing before the game even starts. There are opportunities to pull them aside and say, “look, 64 likes to grab and hold the jersey. Watch him.”

Then, when 64 does it in the game you have to be in their asses about it and pointing it out.

You’ve also gotta be right when you’re complaining about things or you become white noise.

Finally, Saban rules are a thing. It is part of the deal right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back