Updates on two WR targets -- Thomas and Pouncey

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
IMG_0044.jpg

Miami's elusive search for wide receivers in the 2017 class has been a roller coaster ride. After Mike Harley solidified his commitment to West Virginia last week (to which surprised the Miami staff, who had anticipated a flip), Ron Dugans and company have been identifying their final targets for the stretch run, once the dead period ends on January 11th.

One name to start looking at as a serious target is WR Jeff Thomas from East St. Louis, who stole the show with an electrifying performance at the Under Armour All-American game today. Thomas and Miami have been in contact for "a while", according to a source, and this is not something that Dugans has just started to track. However, the news here is that when I asked Miami about Thomas two weeks ago, they were skeptical about his grades. When I asked again today, Miami was more confident about his ability to qualify and thus, a visit has been set for January 20th to Miami. The only other visit that he has set right now is to Louisville on the 13th. Hometown Illinois is a major factor here too.

[TWEET]815640639803101184[/TWEET]

The last few years, Miami has been able to work with both Trayone Gray and Dionte Mullins, who were questionable to qualify as well. The staff laid out an academic plan for both of them over the second semester and into the summer so that it would help facilitate the process. My guess is that Miami has been doing background research over the past couple weeks on Thomas' situation and are formulating a plan to get him in to the school if he chooses UM on signing day.

The other prospect, and more likely of the two right now, is former Norte Dame commit Jordan Pouncey from Winter Park, Florida. Trajan Bandy, who was at Miami's bowl game with Pouncey, told CanesInSight that he believes the Miami will land him after a conversation they had at the game. That of course could just be recruit talk, but it is a positive sign nonetheless. Pouncey has signaled to Miami coaches that they are the reason he decommitted from Notre Dame -- due to how hard they have been pursuing him. He sees an opportunity to see the field early in Coral Gables.

With Evidence Njoku as the lone WR commit in 2017 for the Canes, they are still likely looking to land two more at the position.

Advertisement
VIDEO: Top100 WR Thomas Talks Miami

Don't want to get anyone hopes but... in this video he said I mean they got the freshman, what's his name he asked the itu reporter, ivins then said ahmmon richards and Thomas said yeah hopefully I can be on the other side of him

Good stuff Pete, hopefully we can get at least 1 of those 2. I'm sure some more names will emerge over the next month+ as well.

Advertisement
Pete...better prospect Thomas or Harley?

Also who would u compare Pouncey to?

I honestly haven't seen enough of either one live to be able to give you a full breakdown. But from seeing Harley a ton live, Thomas looks like he might be able to add more weight than Harley and he has more wiggle than him as well. Not sure on straight line speed

Advertisement
Pete I asked in the other thread but have the coaches been in contact with Thomas throughout the process or did they back off and now have to restart things?

VIDEO: Top100 WR Thomas Talks Miami

Don't want to get anyone hopes but... in this video he said I mean they got the freshman, what's his name he asked the itu reporter, ivins then said ahmmon richards and Thomas said yeah hopefully I can be on the other side of him

Noticed that, as well. Finally a true talent that recognizes the doors opened by playing opposite AR (i.e. AR proves freshmen eat @ The U and he makes teams game plan for him).

Come be that dude, Jeffrey.

Advertisement
Pete I asked in the other thread but have the coaches been in contact with Thomas throughout the process or did they back off and now have to restart things?

They've been in contact the whole time from my understanding. But things are about to really heat up as they don't feel they're wasting their time on somebody who wouldn't be able to qualify.

Advertisement
Jeff Thomas is better than anyone we missed except Jeudy. You get him, I don't want to hear about elite receivers anymore.

All in.

Advertisement
Back