Updated Chart

mcnaire2004

Senior
Premium
Screenshot_20240110_115033_Sheets.jpg

I know you've seen this before. You'll see it again as it comes up. Just wanted to show the updated version with the newest championship winner.

Over the last 40 years still only have coaches who started winning immediately with loser players (all pre portal). Didn't need to "stack classes" to start winning. It's the worst myth in college football.

Looks like Jim took over a loser Mich team and won 10 games immediately. Just like Urban took a loser (Golden battered) OSU team and won 12 games. I mean. You guys can probably read.

Last edited:
Advertisement
View attachment 277712
I know you've seen this before. You'll see it again as it comes up. Just wanted to show the updated version with the newest championship winner.

Over the last 40 years still only have coaches who started winning immediately with loser players (all pre portal). Didn't need to "stack classes" to start winning. It's the worst myth in college football.

Looks like Jim took over a loser Mich team and won 10 games immediately. Just like Urban took a loser (Golden battered) OSU team and won 12 games. I mean. You guys can probably read.
Excellent post! I doubt that the MarioBro’s will actually pay attention and see the writing on the wall. Most of them still haven’t been able to put 2 and 2 together.

The narrative has been that Mario needs top tier caliber talent in order to even win 10 games. Next season will be interesting, as almost the entire team will be made up of Mario’s recruits.

But knowing our CiS Mario die-hards, they will make up more excuses next season. It never fails.

View attachment 277712

We are an anomaly, the exception. Sure it may only take some coaches two years to completely revamp their roster and win big.

PERO...

It's different in Miami, bro. Be patient. Sip a cafecito, stare at some nalgas, and trust the process.

Relax fellas.

It’s a Miami thing. Mario is stacking the roster with his guys. I’m hearing tons of stuff about Greentree all Americans already. The dudes are flying around, making plays.

In a few years, we’ll have the pillars in place and can win the Coastal.

Advertisement
Excellent post! I doubt that the MarioBro’s will actually pay attention and see the writing on the wall. Most of them still haven’t been able to put 2 and 2 together.

The narrative has been that Mario needs top tier caliber talent in order to even win 10 games. Next season will be interesting, as almost the entire team will be made up of Mario’s recruits.

But knowing our CiS Mario die-hards, they will make up more excuses next season. It never fails.
I agree but the narrative that Mario needs top tier caliber talent in order to win 10 games is true because he is not a good game day coach and that is being kind.

Mario needs to stack top 5 classes to win 10 but good coaches don't.

Last edited:
I’m a Mario supporter but this is absolutely a strike against him. However I will say that Mario was never shown as a “great coach”….he was shown as a guy that can assemble talent and the conference - I say he gets 4yrs to win the ACC and if nothing by then, he won’t make it to Year 5 of his deal.

View attachment 277712

So according to your nerd chart: Gene Chizik is the GREATEST coach of the modern era

Dabo cant coach should have been fired-

Shug Jordan (HOF.the winningest coach in Auburn history with the stadium named after him) cant coach should have been fired-

Vince Dooley (HOF. 5x SEC coach of the year National Champion with the Stadium named after him) cant coach should have been fired-

John McCay (HOF. won 4 National Championships as the HC) cant coach should have been fired

Danny Ford (HOF. National Championship coach) cant coach should have been fired

Lavell Edwards (HOF. National Championship coach, 6th winningest coach of all time) cant coach should have been fired-

Last edited:
Advertisement
So according to your nerd chart: Gene Chizik is the GREATEST coach of the modern era

Dabo cant coach should have been fired-

Shug Jordan (HOF.the winningest coach in Auburn history with the stadium named after him) should have been fired-

Vince Dooley (HOF. 5x SEC coach of the year National Champion with the Stadium named after him) should have been fired-

John McCay (HOF. won 4 National Championships as the HC) should have been fired

Danny Ford (HOF. National Championship coach) should have been fired

Lavell Edwards (HOF. National Championship coach, 6th winningest coach of all time) should have been fired-
The chart is pretty simple. I kept the variables to a bare minimum.

The chart is a list of coaches who won a championship. Who they inherited and how there first few years went. That's it.

It's best read from Howard Schnellenberger forward. Before that your running into guys that played 8-9 game seasons. Not even close to the modern era. That's why I said "The last 40 years."

In the last 40 years Lavell Edwards, Lou Holtz, and Bill McCartney are the only coaches to not win 9 games in the first two years and still win a championship. 3 out of the last 40. Definitely exceptions. If you don't go with the ND fumble narrative then it's 2 of the last 40.

Dabo does meet the minimum requirement for wins in the first two years.

I think you may want to read it again. You'll find my assertion correct.

How did Jim Harbaugh do in his 3rd year? Did he ever have a losing record at Michigan in any season? Asking for a friend.
Down years happen to the best of them. The point is no coach who won a championship needed to stack classes to turn a losing team into a winning team. The point is coaching matters. Championship coaches identify themselves fairly soon when taking over a program.

To answer your question yes Jim had a losing record during COVID of 2-4. His third year he won 8 games.

I really don’t think anyone understands how much of a mess this program has been.
Mark Richt was a perennial 10 win coach and an elite recruiter and couldn’t do it here. The work and money Saban had to spend to make that program what it is has been ridiculous.
The amount of support that the top schools on that list have has been a David and Goliath compared to UM in the last 20 years. Prior to that you can at least say it was a level playing field to some extent. Now it’s a **** arms race.

It’s a **** of a lot more than just x and o’s.

Will Mario finally do it? Fck if I know.
He’s done it before at Oregon. And if you think I’m making an excuse for him then don’t counter with an excuse on why winning Oregon was a fluke.

We were literally in every game this season and didn’t look outclassed or outmatched with anyone.

Be upset all you want but there was no game this season where you said “omg this team is just head and shoulders better than we are. Especially the mighty undefeated Fspoo. When we threw a **** puppy at a packed Doak on prime time.

Turnovers are by far the most important metric in football.
The record and everyone’s menstrual cycle would be more regulated and less painful if that metric was drastically different.

Not crowning anyone. IMO Mario is still on the clock. But it’s just as free to be negative in this world. But I’ll choose positivity.

Advertisement
How did Jim Harbaugh do in his 3rd year? Did he ever have a losing record at Michigan in any season? Asking for a friend.
Do you have any idea how much money has been thrown at the Michigan programs since Harbaugh got there? Do you know how many times fans wanted him gone and I guarantee you after five or six years of those Harbaugh seasons and the same results that he had at Michigan every single Miami fan would be burning their season tickets.
Dude was taking his team to Italy while Ohio state was in the playoffs.
This place would’ve lost their **** mind if fsu was in the playoffs while the team was vacationing in Rome.
Hindsight is 20/20 but this school would’ve fired Harbaugh way before he even sniffed the playoffs.

And that’s why this fanbase wants Mario fired after 2 seasons.

JFC.

Down years happen to the best of them. The point is no coach who won a championship needed to stack classes to turn a losing team into a winning team. The point is coaching matters. Championship coaches identify themselves fairly soon when taking over a program.

To answer your question yes Jim had a losing record during COVID of 2-4. His third year he won 8 games.
Just to clarify,
I have hated our offense the last two years.
I was on team Lane Train.
I do think coaching/recruiting matter equally.

This chart is a bad way to make any point. It’s subjective by using only two years. It also neglects the fact that many corches had two successful first years. Corch Clappy went undefeated. This chart also doesn’t show how much the big players have invested because they believe in Mario. Mario’s trajectory is likely tied to the QB position IMO. He is Jimbo Fisher/Dabo Swinney. Get us a Jameis, Lawrence, or Watson and we will compete for a national title. Without an NFL QB, we will struggle. I didn’t come to that conclusion by reading this stupid chart.

The chart is pretty simple. I kept the variables to a bare minimum.

The chart is a list of coaches who won a championship. Who they inherited and how there first few years went. That's it.

It's best read from Howard Schnellenberger forward. Before that your running into guys that played 8-9 game seasons. Not even close to the modern era. That's why I said "The last 40 years."

In the last 40 years Lavell Edwards, Lou Holtz, and Bill McCartney are the only coaches to not win 9 games in the first two years and still win a championship. 3 out of the last 40. Definitely exceptions. If you don't go with the ND fumble narrative then it's 2 of the last 40.

Dabo does meet the minimum requirement for wins in the first two years.

I think you may want to read it again. You'll find my assertion cor

okay so all these coaches below had to "stack classes" build their roster up and did not win 9 games in first 2 years::

Lavell Edwards, (7-4 , 5-6) 1984 NC

Lou Holtz, (5-6, 8-4) 88 tainted NC

Bill McCartney (2-8-1, 4-7) 1990 NC

Danny Ford (8-4, 6-5) 1981 NC

Vince Dooley (7-3-1, 6-4) 1980 NC

Bear Bryant @Bama (5-4-1) (7-2-2) 1979 NC

Bobby Ross GaTECH (2-9, 3-8) won the 1990 NC

Don James UW (6-5 ,5-6) won the 1991 NC

(omitting Shug Jordan & John McCay because both wins were prior to 1979 even though both played 10 game seasons)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just to clarify,
I have hated our offense the last two years.
I was on team Lane Train.
I do think coaching/recruiting matter equally.

This chart is a bad way to make any point. It’s subjective by using only two years. It also neglects the fact that many corches had two successful first years. Corch Clappy went undefeated. This chart also doesn’t show how much the big players have invested because they believe in Mario. Mario’s trajectory is likely tied to the QB position IMO. He is Jimbo Fisher/Dabo Swinney. Get us a Jameis, Lawrence, or Watson and we will compete for a national title. Without an NFL QB, we will struggle. I didn’t come to that conclusion by reading this stupid chart.

There’s absolutely nothing subjective about the chart. Lol. The chart is proving what has taken place by the vast majority of championship coaches throughout history. You guys can continue to put ur head in the sand, but the facts & data are the facts & data.

The vast majority of championship coaches turn around any situation they’ve been put in by year two, w/ a handful by year 3. Why this board continues to create false narratives to passive what happens here is beyond me.

The narrative has been that Mario needs top tier caliber talent in order to even BEAT RUTGERS.
I went ahead and fixed that for ya

okay so no coaches had to build their roster up except these coaches below:

Lavell Edwards, (7-4 , 5-6)

Lou Holtz, (5-6, 8-4)

Bill McCartney (2-8-1, 4-7)

Danny Ford (8-4, 6-5) 1981 NC

Vince Dooley (7-3-1, 6-4) 1980 NC

Bear Bryant @Bama (5-4-1) (7-2-2) 1979 NC

Bobby Ross GaTECH (2-9, 3-8) won the 1990 NC

Don James UW (6-5 ,5-6) won the 1991 NC

Edwards took BYU to a NY6 bowl by year 3
Holtz won a bogus Nat’l Title by year 3
Ford won a Nat’l Title by year 3
Dooley won his conference and a NY6 bowl by year 3
Bryant lost one game in year 3, won a Nat’l Title by year 4
James won his conference and a NY6 bowl by year 3

Only McCartney & Ross took a while, w/ Ross winning a Nat’l Title in year 4.

So based upon these examples, we should expect Mario to either win the ACC, win a Nat’l Title, or play for a NY6 bowl (or all 3) by next season.

Thank u for ur examples

Advertisement
Back