Updated 1/14 -Per Ivins - 1/12/21 - Blake/Patke/Simpson - Jess Brought Back. Blake remains DC.

Did he ever give up 800 yards in a game?

That’s also something Manny also came close to doing at Texas, which is why I don’t want Diaz running the defense at all. Let him hire somebody good who runs it all himself and let Manny stay at CEO.

At The U? Unsure... At houston, I know he gave up a 600yrd passer and a 100+ yard rusher in a game.... Also gave up I think 60 to temple when he got canned.

At the U off the top of my head maybe that NC State game when Morris hit dorset for the game winner, pretty sure they had 700 yrds of offense

Regardless arguing that Diaz is better than No D should not even be a discussion. I am fine with Manny's general principal of an aggressive attacking 4-2-5 man style defense as it fits our athletes but agree it needs some tweaks. CFB is changing, you get 2-3 stops in a game or hold to just FG you likely win now, its all offense.

Advertisement
Flake may have worried that his husband would meet Rex’s wife.
ice cube dat ass GIF

I’m of the opinion that if you pair an aggressive scheme with overwhelming SFL talent, your D scheme will work against nearly everyone. Even if an aggressive scheme doesn’t work against the top elite schools, I’ll take dominating most schools at this point. The hope is that we grow into an elite D eventually, but until then, I’ll take dominating most D’s once we get an avalanche of elite players. We’ll work on perfection, later.

Would this really be a better staff then last year? We need more help on the defensive side..not less
Diaz, Robinson, Baker have coordinator experience. Simpson is good enough to coach in the NFL. Patke has a few years under his belt. If those 5 guys can't put together a decent gameplan each week in 2021 they will all be looking for new jobs.

Advertisement
told you guys not to get your hopes up

if only you knew the truth about manny's "firings" in the first place.. oh man oh man this place would be something.
Can you share it with a PM my friend? Your secret is safe with me, I just want to know the truth about Manure.

Still haven’t seen anything reliable that tells me the taking to Steele thing was for real
Same, that’s why I said if, still not sure Manny would want to go with an alpha DC with a big ego who can **** things up like a Steele/Pruitt.

Advertisement
Same, that’s why I said if, still not sure Manny would want to go with an alpha DC with a big ego who can **** things up like a Steele/Pruitt.
steele is gonna back door his way into the Tenn HC job. why settle for DC when you know you're gonna get the shot you want at your alma mater

steele is gonna back door his way into the Tenn HC job. why settle for DC when you know you're gonna get the shot you want at your alma mater
I doubt that but if there’s a program stupid enough to hire him as HC it’s UT. Pretty sure he would look better candidate having a big year as Miami DC.
Jamey Chadwell will probably be their #1 target and they’ll throw a lot of cash his way. Steele would be the same type of hire of Pruitt, an afterthought because their first 5-6 targets said no thanks.

Advertisement
I doubt that but if there’s a program stupid enough to hire him as HC it’s UT. Pretty sure he would look better candidate having a big year as Miami DC.
Jamey Chadwell will probably be their #1 target and they’ll throw a lot of cash his way. Steele would be the same type of hire of Pruitt, an afterthought because their first 5-6 targets said no thanks.

its been obvious based on the reporting. hes gonna be the one who picks up the pieces once they blow Pruitt out. its Tennessee so they're not bright and Steele is close with fulmer. they froze hires due to the investigation but allowed this hire to go through? yeah the Ad went out of his way to bring Steele on

At The U? Unsure... At houston, I know he gave up a 600yrd passer and a 100+ yard rusher in a game.... Also gave up I think 60 to temple when he got canned.

At the U off the top of my head maybe that NC State game when Morris hit dorset for the game winner, pretty sure they had 700 yrds of offense

Regardless arguing that Diaz is better than No D should not even be a discussion. I am fine with Manny's general principal of an aggressive attacking 4-2-5 man style defense as it fits our athletes but agree it needs some tweaks. CFB is changing, you get 2-3 stops in a game or hold to just FG you likely win now, its all offense.
putting aside UM for a minute because of our 4-3 focus, but interesting question in this era is whether teams should move to an aranda style 3-2-6 as their base D to better clog the passing lanes and force offenses to run - chews time and changes their flow, and increases your int opportunities if they force it, and sacks from the increase in complexity of who comes from where. with talented hybrid athletes like james williams and chase smith, if um did this, it wouldn’t even be clear who is playing what position pre-snap.

Advertisement
Nahhh, he’s not smart enough to do that, though I doubt he has the financial leash to hire a credible DC that would be just making about a mill less a year than he does.

putting aside UM for a minute because of our 4-3 focus, but interesting question in this era is whether teams should move to an aranda style 3-2-6 as their base D to better clog the passing lanes and force offenses to run - chews time and changes their flow, and increases your int opportunities if they force it, and sacks from the increase in complexity of who comes from where. with talented hybrid athletes like james williams and chase smith, if um did this, it wouldn’t even be clear who is playing what position pre-snap.

I agree... and think there will be a change similar to when the bears first came out with their 46 defense. I also think there needs to be an emphasis on teaching the quicker guys to avoid big OL instead of take them head on. For example I love when couch blitzes and multiple times he just juked a TE or RB or whoever was trying to pick him up instead of trying to engage, and beat the block. **** makes me made when I see a guard pulling on a sweep and the CB runs smack into him...like bruh you aint winning that and unless you got someone behind you and you set the edge inside it is useless.

Advertisement
Back