Updated 1/14 -Per Ivins - 1/12/21 - Blake/Patke/Simpson - Jess Brought Back. Blake remains DC.

I thought when Simpson left for NFL it was said that he did not like recruiting much. Maybe I am mistaken and remember wrong.....
I don't remember him saying that. My instinct is that he wouldn't say that just in case he ever needed another CFB job, but I'm not insider, so maybe...I guess... It just doesn't make sense for him to unnecessarily make it harder for himself in the future.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I see it from this angle, whoever is hired at Dline coach, along with T-Rob, will get the opportunity to learn manny’s defense blended with a little of their philosophy to call plays in a year or 2. Clear manny is steadfast in his defensive scheme, and rightfully so due to personal. So I think this is his way of meeting in the middle.

Tbh I just hear occasional names, nothing more. Tbh this is my busy time of the week, I almost missed out on posting about a portal commit coming today.

Manny is keeping this thing tight lipped. Don’t believe what you read.

The thing is, you already know this, but look at past history.

You already said it: Manny keeps a tight lid on things.

Just like other times, if it happens, it’s just going to happen out of the blue. He’s not giving anything away beforehand.

I have no idea if he fires Baker and hires a new DC with autonomy.

But I do know this, if it happens, he’s not going to let it slip until it happens. And it may be a few more days even weeks, who knows. When you’re working out details, sometimes negotiations can take a while. I’m not going to freak out until we start spring practice with Baker, then I’ll be unhappy.

Advertisement
I thought when Simpson left for NFL it was said that he did not like recruiting much. Maybe I am mistaken and remember wrong.....
Didn't he had to recruit at his HS for 20 years?

He had an opportunity to coach for the Atlanta Falcons and he's from Georgia. He's not turning that down.

I’m banking on the one fact that I don’t think that TRob would sign if he didn’t think or outright know that changes were coming.

‘This is the one thing that’s gives me hope that something IS going on and Nanny just has things on lockdown.

‘if this is wrong then I don’t see TRob here this time next year.

Just a couple years ago T-Rob was making more than twice Baker's salary. As a CB coach at USCe, he was making 250k more. He is far more qualified to be DC than Baker. The fact that he didn't even get "co-DC" leads me to believe another shoe is going to drop.

Advertisement
Riiiight. Because a public announcement will quiet the angry villagers carrying torches.
No but if you have any respect for them as humans then you fire them as early as you can. You don’t make them sit through all of this message board bs and privately reassure them they’re okay and then fire them a few weeks later.

My point is...these guys aren’t going anywhere in my opinion. If they were then it would have been done already. If I’m wrong and they get fired then Manny lacks control over his program.

I don't understand how it takes this long to make a decision. It only makes sense if Blake and Patke stay...that likely means they were never leaving and it was just message board rumors.

If Manny moves on from either then that is incredibly poor management. How do you have rumors out for weeks and just let all of it fester? This is toxic and just downright embarrassing.

Do I think Manny is a bad coach? Yes. Do I think he's that idiotic? Not really. For that reason, I think it's very clear Blake and Patke stay.

You clearly have zero idea how long it takes to negotiate a deal. Coaches arent gonna yes sure! based on 1 phone call and first $ offer from Manny. And you think Manny gives a s*** what some message board posters think about how he takes to hire someone? LOL cmon dude

Simple truth is no one knows exactly what happening. Even our best insiders only know 1 side of the story and half of that story anyways. Maybe Manny is negotiating with multiple ppl, maybe Steele said yes and then backed out when Tenn threw more $ at him, maybe Manny is waiting to see who he can get and if he cant get anyone good Baker/Patke stay, maybe he's trying to get Baker a job first so he doesnt join D'No at the YMCA. Speculate all you want, that's fine, it what message boards are for but LOL at saying this is toxic. Let it play out

Advertisement
No but if you have any respect for them as humans then you fire them as early as you can. You don’t make them sit through all of this message board bs and privately reassure them they’re okay and then fire them a few weeks later.

My point is...these guys aren’t going anywhere in my opinion. If they were then it would have been done already. If I’m wrong and they get fired then Manny lacks control over his program.

Who has said that they have been "privately reassured"?

And if any assistant coach can't handle the message board BS, they should just quit. Have we flown any Baker/Patke banners? Had pizza delivered to their houses? Invented any "moving company" gossip?

You are acting like "firing a coach quickly" is somehow supposed to be as humane as taking Old Yeller out and shooting him.

Who has said that they have been "privately reassured"?

And if any assistant coach can't handle the message board BS, they should just quit. Have we flown any Baker/Patke banners? Had pizza delivered to their houses? Invented any "moving company" gossip?

You are acting like "firing a coach quickly" is somehow supposed to be as humane as taking Old Yeller out and shooting him.
Common sense says they’ve been privately reassured. Your players were tweeting about how great of a coach Patke is and didn’t someone from the comms team also defend Patke? There’s been a lot of smoke so I imagine they’ve had the discussion privately.

It’s been two weeks since our last game, our season has been over for a good while now. Most coaches have been fired by now. Not sure why it’s hard to believe this timing would be considered odd. If you’re gonna make a change, then make it. Hence why I believe aside from hiring a new DL coach, this is the staff we’re going to have in place for 2021.

I'm just going to be honest here.

What makes Ivins SAY (not just "believe") that "Baker & Patke are more and more likely to be staying"?

Is Manny calling them both each day saying "Today, you are up to a 25% chance of staying"?

Ivins is guessing, based on the same impatient UM fan nonsense of "Well, Baker and Patke are still employed as of today".

Again, I'm not saying they WILL be fired or that they WON'T be fired. But let's not pretend that ANY "likelihood" has changed. "Per what he's hearing".
They could be given non-coaching analyst roles. Just because they aren't fired doesn't mean they'll be coaching in a similar capacity; both could continue to learn from a guy like Strong.

Advertisement
Back