Updated 1/14 -Per Ivins - 1/12/21 - Blake/Patke/Simpson - Jess Brought Back. Blake remains DC.

Advertisement
I know you’re more plugged in than me, but LOL if you think Manny is bringing in Simpson to run his own D and call plays. If Patke and Baker stay that’s all we need to know. Overall, this is fine with me because we’ll be looking for a head coach around this time next year. Also, if this is how the situation plays out, I don’t ever want to hear that Manny is determined to succeed here because that is a flat out lie.
No I know he’s not coming here to be a DC.. I just know he’s that well thought of as a coach to be a good P5 DC. I don’t think he would even get a co-dc title here.

I hope they give him some say so in the meeting room and lean on him a little more than his other year here. He would instill some gap integrity and revamp some of our blitz packages and run fits.

I'm not buying any of the rumors from these alleged sources under Diaz. Everyone was completely wrong on the OC search until Lashlee was announced. If nothing else, Diaz understands the PR game extremely well.

Further, I think it's pretty incomprehensible Baker keeps his job. Including getting demoted, because that never, ever happens.

Advertisement
Per Ivins - Jess Simpson a real possibility at DL. Baker and Patke more & more likely to be staying per what he’s hearing.

I know it’s been alluded here by insiders as well as that being a possibility.
Off with his head! Dude! Baker and Patke staying is horrible news.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’d be happy with Simpson. I’ll keep saying it.. he could be our defensive coordinator and would do well.

The experience isn’t there. Had he not been making G5 assistant coach money coaching in GA HS football, he would have kicked off his college coaching career much sooner and already been a P5 DC.

Our DL had its best years against the run and pass under him including better than Kul. He solved our run D woes.
This 100%!! Jess Simpson coming back would be the best possible thing for the training of our DL. We will have had more athleticism on this past season's DL, but I guarantee you this coming DL (if Jess comes here) will be much stronger against the run and at least as good in pass rush. If he comes back, the biggest beneficiary will be Nesta. He could whip Nesta into a 4th rounder. Maybe higher depending on how her performs in primetime.

Advertisement
At this point I don’t know who knows what’s going on. I would be in favor of bringing back Jess Simpson but if we’re going to go for round three of Blake Baker butchering the defense, we’re going nowhere fast.

I haven't heard his name mentioned much, but is it possible Mike Stoops could be on his list? Since Steele is off the table? At least he'd be an upgrade to Baker. Just wondering.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if this were the case. I don’t think Manny has a huge network to fall back on and I don’t think he’s viewed positively, especially as a defensive mind. It would be hard to hitch your wagon to a guy that has had to clean house on both sides of the ball due to poor decision making. I don’t really see it as a failure of Manny; these issues were known with his lack of experience and available contacts. This is on James who hired him anyway after a quick brunch and a power nap. It’s cool though cuz we will be replacing both next year if Manny can’t find a competent DC

Advertisement
Back