Update to the Recruiting section of the site today

I've added Tyreic and updated Young to the correct class. UM's listed some folks wrong before so I will do another pass through after more 2017 guys start enrolling.
@Andrew
Gordinier or Patchan still need to get moved. Sure both could play a sixth year but they have to apply for it.

I have them listed as they are listed on UM's website.

Advertisement
Even if we only could sign 13 players next year, that means we have a full squad so i still dont see why it matters.

Because it messes the order of everything up. And you end up with 10 seniors like we have this yr, which is just bad. You want 15-20 graduating per yr. you can't consistently win when you have only 31 upperclassmen like we have this yr. also 13 was very generous.
We have 4 open spots, 10 seniors and 21 juniors. If all those guys leave that means we have 35 total spots open for these next two classes (if no sophomores or freshman leave). So if we sign 30 this yr (not happening) it would only allow us to sign5 players. Ext yr if no one that are currently sophomores and freshman leave. And the absolute most I can possibly see us losing that are currently fr/so are like 8-9 guys which is just unlikely. So again, it is very important to not excessively sign. Also it's hard enough getting 20-25 guys without having a lot of misses. Signing 30 would mean getting quite a few jags. I really don't get why you don't already understand this if you follow recruiting.

Bruh, you keep forgetting about attrition. We ain't gonna have a 13 man class in 2019 even if we sign 30 kids in 2018.

And why would signing a big 28-30 man class include a lot of jags? Are you talking about general "odds" that some highly rated kids end up as busts? Because otherwise, im pretty sure every single kid on this 30 man list is a stud 4 star prospect.

1 QB - Sitkapowski
2 RB - Lingard, Davis
5 WR - Wiggins, Hightower, Pope, Austin, Moore
1 TE - Jordan
5 OL - Dunlap, Reed, Scaife, Qadir White, Montilius
4 DT - Davis, Silvera, Glen Logan (transfer), Chatman
1 DE - Rousseau
3 LB - Louis, Reese, Sherwood
4 CB - Jobe, Campbell, Blades, Ivey
3 S - Russell, Hall, Frierson
1 K - McPherson
Please explain what attrition I'm forgetting when I already include around 8 current sophomores and freshman leaving to even get to a 2019 signing class of 13.
We should only get 4wrs, 3-4ol, 2lbs...and it doesn't look likely at all that glen logan will even transfer let alone transfer to us. And personally wouldn't be surprised if Russell didn't end up in this class. But honestly I don't even know how you think we get to 30 this class! Obviously we will have 10 seniors and 4 remaining roster spots (1 will belong to Delaney), so no matter what we will have 14 spots. But we have 21 juniors, expecting over half or 2/3rds of them to leave early would already be expecting a lot, and that would only give us 21 spots. And I'm probably off on the numbers by a few here or there, but we should aim for 20-25 per yr...not 30

Is it theoretically possible to sign 30 this yr? Sure. It's it reasonable? No. Should we? No.

In addition to the few remaining true JRs who will graduate after 2018 season, plenty of rFR, SO, and rSO on the current team won't be around by the time August 2019 rolls around, both voluntarily and involuntarily. These are kids that weren't recruited by Richt or were part of the transitional class. The incoming 30 will supplant them. This is how you overhaul a team in 3 years.

To make room for a 30 man 2018 class, we need 15 attrition to go with 11 SRs graduating and the 4 open schollies. The 15 attrition includes some early NFL departures (Willis, Mcintosh, Norton, Walton) and plenty of attrition (Gray, Langham, Dayall Harris, etc)

Once we get that, the 2018 season will bring about more attrition to get a 20 man class for 2019. Here are the 20 kids who will leave after 2018, either by graduating (current true JRs) or by attrition (current SOs or FR who will leave early for NFL, expulsion, or transfer):

Allison
Haskins
Cager
Mullins
Richards
St Louis
Jahair Jones
Mahoney
D Jackson
Patchan
Fines
Perry
McCloud
Pinckney
Owens
Smith
Redwine
Dean
M Jackson
J Johnson

U dont see how ridiculous it is to actually expect 15 guys that could have an available scholarship next yr to leave early? Look im not saying i dont want a majority of those jrs gone but im not gunna act like its completely reasonable to expect 15 non graduating guys leave early entering a coaches 3rd season (since it would be after this season is over). 2018 class wont be 30, just like the 2017 class wasnt 30. Once again 25 +/- 1 is what we will sign. Honestly i dont get why you want 30 so bad anyways as if those 5 extra players are going to change anything. You dont want 35% of your roster coming in one yr....you want 25%.
Look theres a slim chance we can get 30. But its very unlikely. If i were you id make predictions for a class of 25. And if we get any more than that you can just be a lottle happier. But dont expect 30 and be dissapointed when we dont get a few guys you wanted

Because it messes the order of everything up. And you end up with 10 seniors like we have this yr, which is just bad. You want 15-20 graduating per yr. you can't consistently win when you have only 31 upperclassmen like we have this yr. also 13 was very generous.
We have 4 open spots, 10 seniors and 21 juniors. If all those guys leave that means we have 35 total spots open for these next two classes (if no sophomores or freshman leave). So if we sign 30 this yr (not happening) it would only allow us to sign5 players. Ext yr if no one that are currently sophomores and freshman leave. And the absolute most I can possibly see us losing that are currently fr/so are like 8-9 guys which is just unlikely. So again, it is very important to not excessively sign. Also it's hard enough getting 20-25 guys without having a lot of misses. Signing 30 would mean getting quite a few jags. I really don't get why you don't already understand this if you follow recruiting.

Bruh, you keep forgetting about attrition. We ain't gonna have a 13 man class in 2019 even if we sign 30 kids in 2018.

And why would signing a big 28-30 man class include a lot of jags? Are you talking about general "odds" that some highly rated kids end up as busts? Because otherwise, im pretty sure every single kid on this 30 man list is a stud 4 star prospect.

1 QB - Sitkapowski
2 RB - Lingard, Davis
5 WR - Wiggins, Hightower, Pope, Austin, Moore
1 TE - Jordan
5 OL - Dunlap, Reed, Scaife, Qadir White, Montilius
4 DT - Davis, Silvera, Glen Logan (transfer), Chatman
1 DE - Rousseau
3 LB - Louis, Reese, Sherwood
4 CB - Jobe, Campbell, Blades, Ivey
3 S - Russell, Hall, Frierson
1 K - McPherson
Please explain what attrition I'm forgetting when I already include around 8 current sophomores and freshman leaving to even get to a 2019 signing class of 13.
We should only get 4wrs, 3-4ol, 2lbs...and it doesn't look likely at all that glen logan will even transfer let alone transfer to us. And personally wouldn't be surprised if Russell didn't end up in this class. But honestly I don't even know how you think we get to 30 this class! Obviously we will have 10 seniors and 4 remaining roster spots (1 will belong to Delaney), so no matter what we will have 14 spots. But we have 21 juniors, expecting over half or 2/3rds of them to leave early would already be expecting a lot, and that would only give us 21 spots. And I'm probably off on the numbers by a few here or there, but we should aim for 20-25 per yr...not 30

Is it theoretically possible to sign 30 this yr? Sure. It's it reasonable? No. Should we? No.

In addition to the few remaining true JRs who will graduate after 2018 season, plenty of rFR, SO, and rSO on the current team won't be around by the time August 2019 rolls around, both voluntarily and involuntarily. These are kids that weren't recruited by Richt or were part of the transitional class. The incoming 30 will supplant them. This is how you overhaul a team in 3 years.

To make room for a 30 man 2018 class, we need 15 attrition to go with 11 SRs graduating and the 4 open schollies. The 15 attrition includes some early NFL departures (Willis, Mcintosh, Norton, Walton) and plenty of attrition (Gray, Langham, Dayall Harris, etc)

Once we get that, the 2018 season will bring about more attrition to get a 20 man class for 2019. Here are the 20 kids who will leave after 2018, either by graduating (current true JRs) or by attrition (current SOs or FR who will leave early for NFL, expulsion, or transfer):

Allison
Haskins
Cager
Mullins
Richards
St Louis
Jahair Jones
Mahoney
D Jackson
Patchan
Fines
Perry
McCloud
Pinckney
Owens
Smith
Redwine
Dean
M Jackson
J Johnson

U dont see how ridiculous it is to actually expect 15 guys that could have an available scholarship next yr to leave early? Look im not saying i dont want a majority of those jrs gone but im not gunna act like its completely reasonable to expect 15 non graduating guys leave early entering a coaches 3rd season (since it would be after this season is over). 2018 class wont be 30, just like the 2017 class wasnt 30. Once again 25 +/- 1 is what we will sign. Honestly i dont get why you want 30 so bad anyways as if those 5 extra players are going to change anything. You dont want 35% of your roster coming in one yr....you want 25%.
Look theres a slim chance we can get 30. But its very unlikely. If i were you id make predictions for a class of 25. And if we get any more than that you can just be a lottle happier. But dont expect 30 and be dissapointed when we dont get a few guys you wanted

lol, why are you so against 15 attrition this year? 7 of those kids are graduating rsJRs so that won't be a problem at all. 4 of those kids will leave early for the NFL. That leaves only 4 kids who will be asked to transfer. What is the big deal?

Here is the list of 15 kids leaving early, transferring, or getting expelled before the 2018 class.

Rosier - rsJR graduating
Shirrefs - transfer
Gray - rsJR graduating
Walton - NFL
Langham - rsJR graduating
Harris - rs-JR graduating
Willis - NFL
Norton - NFL
Mcintosh - NFL
McCray - rsJR graduating
Gordinier - transfer
Mayes - rsJR graduating
Henley - transfer
Knowles - transfer
James - expelled

Here is the list of 15 kids leaving early, transferring, or getting expelled before the 2018 class.

Rosier - rsJR graduating
Shirrefs - transfer
Gray - rsJR graduating
Walton - NFL
Willis - NFL
Norton - NFL
Mcintosh - NFL
McCray - rsJR graduating
Gordinier - transfer
Mayes - rsJR graduating
Henley - transfer
Knowles - transfer
James - expelled

Theres a difference between wanting all that attrition to happen and it being all that realistic. Secondly we have no idea who will actually declare early for the draft. If you look at my previous comment i have made i do want the crappy guys gone, especially those ol and cbs. But how often do that many leave in a yr. And secondly even if all those guys do leave i dont want a 2018 class of 30. Rather get 26 and a few grad transfers. But i doibt rosier and sherrifs both leave. I doubt all 3 dts leave...maybe 2, but def not 3. And i definitely dont see gordinier leaving.

Advertisement

Rosier - rsJR graduating
Shirrefs - transfer
Gray - rsJR graduating
Walton - NFL
Willis - NFL
Norton - NFL
Mcintosh - NFL
McCray - rsJR graduating
Gordinier - transfer
Mayes - rsJR graduating
Henley - transfer
Knowles - transfer
James - expelled

James expelled? Where's that coming from? I get that a message board is a forum for wild speculation, but this appears to be you wanting the kid to be expelled. Maybe we can have him add 100lbs and move him to DT? I'm sure he wouldn't lose a step...

Go Canes!

**** i didnt know Anthony Moten was a Senior already.... our DT depth is going to look like **** after this season. Definitely going to need all we can get in terms of possible JUCO, Grad, and regular transfers is concerned.

Probably a stupid thought, but if you were Andrew Moten would you consider redshirting this year and letting the 3 DL you know are ahead of you hopefully go pro. Then come back as a red Shirt senior and get more playing time.

It's not up to Molten to decide that. If the coaches think he helps us win more than the other DTs on the roster then he'll play.

Advertisement
**** i didnt know Anthony Moten was a Senior already.... our DT depth is going to look like **** after this season. Definitely going to need all we can get in terms of possible JUCO, Grad, and regular transfers is concerned.

Probably a stupid thought, but if you were Andrew Moten would you consider redshirting this year and letting the 3 DL you know are ahead of you hopefully go pro. Then come back as a red Shirt senior and get more playing time.

It's not up to Molten to decide that. If the coaches think he helps us win more than the other DTs on the roster then he'll play.

A second string dt in our system should get plenty of playing time... and we'd be in trouble depth wise without Molton, especially with Jenkins.

Track has become a huge part of this forum. Can you please add a column on the prospect list page for 400M times?

We have been debating attrition and class size for a while now. IMO, there's no doubt we could get to 30 if we wanted to, but it would be unhealthy for the team both in terms of depth/experience, and team morale. Signals to the players that they're just mercenaries, which is not Richt's way.

On the other hand, I do think we'll naturally get to 25 with graduation, early graduation, voluntary transfers and unanticipated attrition from boneheads who don't take care of their classwork or other off-field behavior. And with a tiny, respectful push on a couple of guys at the bottom of the depth chart, I could see us having space for a class of 27/28 and still maintaining team integrity.

Advertisement
Back