Update on numbers and transfers post-signing day

How can they have 2 spots left if they can only sing 25 player per cycle.? And they already have 17 HS and 8 transfers. Do they make 2 transfers wait until fall? Or is someone getting kicked out?
I believe it’s 17 and 7 with Williams and Hill. And you can count early enrollees towards the previous class if it was below 25. So I assume that they will be counting 1 early enrolee towards the 18 class. Can anyone confirm?

Advertisement
Is the 4 spots because of counters?

Because I got us at 81 overall, including the 4 walk-ons

Hopefully they expand that OL board, in case Braun goes elsewhere.
Are you including Atkins? I havent heard whether or not he will be on scholarship this year but they’ll be below 85 so imagine so.

Also, Malek and Ahmonn are still on scholarship. I assume they don’t count towards the 85 but don’t know.

What? We have wasted four ‘ships on walkons? Who’s brilliant idea was this I wonder...
They can’t get to 85 because of the 25 man class limit so they are rewarding walks ons with a free ride for a season. Hopefully next year they’ll be closer to 85. But I think that every year and it doesn’t happen

Other teams are acting like its some sort of a bad thing we getting players from the portal almost as if it doesnt count. * YOU STILL GOTTA PLAY THEM. YOU STILL GOTTA BLOCK THEM YOU STILL GOTTA TACKLE AND COVER THEM. HOW THEY NOT COUNT??? THEY GON TAKE THE FIELD OR NAH? THEY GON PLAY OR NAH?? LMFAOOOO

I read this post in Tony Montana’s voice for some reason

OG Jonah Jackson grad transfer from Rutgers. He was a 2018 All Big 10 honorable mention at OG, he can also play center.

Yea... I know who he is...I was being sarcastic.....Anyway I've refereed some of Rutgers Practices..... Yes he was the best lineman on the team but, have you seen the rest of the OL..... eewwww. I will say though, he's one of tougher guys on that team.

Would still want Braun

JC

Advertisement
No he wouldnt, if he enrolls after after August 1st, he would be considered a blueshirt.

you sure about that?

august 1st or after the semester starts?

and will he qualify? have we recruited him? has he taken a visit here on the school’s dime? have any coaches visited him?

you sure about that?

and will he qualify? have we recruited him? has he taken a visit here on the school’s dime? have any coaches visited him?

Qualify? He is a transfer

Also since he will be redshirt and he didnt take an OV it seems. He would qualify as a Blueshirt and his scholarship would count towards the 2020 class. Adding a former #1 overall player that's been in your program for a year. I'll take that.

Advertisement
Qualify? He is a transfer

Also since he will be redshirt and he didnt take an OV it seems. He would qualify as a Blueshirt and his scholarship would count towards the 2020 class. Adding a former #1 overall player that's been in your program for a year. I'll take that.

qualify to be a blue-shirt, not qualify academically

i read on here that he did take a visit recently. are you certain no coaches have gone to visit him?

you sure about that?

Way too many questions. Phillips will be a Cane.

... Ahmonn are still on scholarship....

If true, that’s just weird. Ahmonn still on scholly but his brother isn’t!?!! We handle a difficult situation with the upmost class and care (with the best interest of the kid clearly in mind) & his dumb@$$ bro goes to aub. :/ It just feels weird.

(This post no way insenuates that I think Malek and AR should not have schollys from um. If true, im glad they still do and support it)

Advertisement
they are the questions that need to be answered if one believes phillips could be a blue-shirt candidate and they were not directed towards you.
He was not on an official visit and he did not officially host one of our coaches. He is a blueshirt candidate.

Advertisement
How can they have 2 spots left if they can only sing 25 player per cycle.? And they already have 17 HS and 8 transfers. Do they make 2 transfers wait until fall? Or is someone getting kicked out?
giphy.gif

He was not on an official visit and he did not officially host one of our coaches. He is a blueshirt candidate.

then he would be, yes.

15.5.6.3.3 Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid During First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.9) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice during the first year of enrollment becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18)

15.02.9 recruited student-Athlete. For purposes of Bylaw 15, a recruited student-athlete is a student- athlete who, as a prospective student-athlete: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, Revised: 4/25/18)
(a) Was provided an official visit to the institution’s campus;
(b) Had an arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with a member of the institution’s coaching staff (including a coach’s arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with the prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete’s family members); or
(c) Was issued a National Letter of Intent or a written offer of athletically related financial aid by the institution for a regular academic term

Last edited:
This is tough to really quantify because the kids are in all different classes and it’s tough to definitively say a grad transfer for 1 year is more impactful than someone who could play 2-3 years, like Martin for example, but I could argue that Braun would be the best get out of anyone in the portal other than Martell.

Pairing these skill positions players with a hopefully competent QB in a 21st century offense AND significantly upgrading the line can’t be understated. Putting Braun at LG possibly upgrades this entire team more than any 1 other player does/could, assuming Martell has to sit. This would be that big of a get.

Advertisement
Back