Update on Dante Buford, top 150 combo forward we're after

Advertisement
Advertisement
Frank Martin has a great relationship with his hs coach so id be shocked if he didnt got there.

I wouldn't be surprised either - it's his home state, Martin has a strong relationship with his HS coach and his former AAU coach in South Carolina as well. But I wouldn't be shocked - Martin has an abrasive coaching style that is not for everyone, and Mom seems to be favoring us.

Great win for Coach L if he can get him out of South Carolina. We need to return the favor for Price Martin

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
some more of what transpired here and some of it is speculation but based on piecing various bits of info I've gotten.

first off, his mom really wanted him at Miami, she LOVED it there and it was her favorite of the 3 by far but she told me he had to put on his big boy pants and make his own call.

secondly I heard his AAU coach was in his ear for OU hard the last 2 weeks and the OU staff had been working his AAU coach behind the scenes

third, I'm not so sure how disappointed our staff (and I wonder if we backed off a bit in retrospect) is about this given we lost a ship due to the ****tzero mess and we already had 4 commits out of 5 slots available. This now frees up the spot to either take Satchel Pierce (not sure we really want him but he is a 7 footer with skills) or use the spot for a grad transfer who can play right away and contribute in Kirk's absence next year.

some more of what transpired here and some of it is speculation but based on piecing various bits of info I've gotten.

first off, his mom really wanted him at Miami, she LOVED it there and it was her favorite of the 3 by far but she told me he had to put on his big boy pants and make his own call.

secondly I heard his AAU coach was in his ear for OU hard the last 2 weeks and the OU staff had been working his AAU coach behind the scenes

third, I'm not so sure how disappointed our staff (and I wonder if we backed off a bit in retrospect) is about this given we lost a ship due to the ****tzero mess and we already had 4 commits out of 5 slots available. This now frees up the spot to either take Satchel Pierce (not sure we really want him but he is a 7 footer with skills) or use the spot for a grad transfer who can play right away and contribute in Kirk's absence next year.

That's exactly what I thought right away. This isn't so bad we can stick a grad transfer in this spot and essentially move our last scholarship offer to next year. I understand that Buford is a top recruit but how often do 6'7 combo forwards really turn into stars? He very well may become a beast with his skill set but it's very tough to at 6'7 to make it without a true position.

So what actually happened. Did he announce as expected.

Edit: as per Google, he signed with OU.

Last edited:

That's exactly what I thought right away. This isn't so bad we can stick a grad transfer in this spot and essentially move our last scholarship offer to next year. I understand that Buford is a top recruit but how often do 6'7 combo forwards really turn into stars? He very well may become a beast with his skill set but it's very tough to at 6'7 to make it without a true position.

Just to throw a couple of more pieces into it. We only have one scholarship in the 2015 class, and the staff had always intended to roll at least one scholarship to that class via grad transfer or something of the sort. They were even comfortable taking two scholarships into the spring and looking at what was there. This is a kid that we wanted, and he's obviously talented, but we filled the number of "spots" that we felt we had to, even before we lost the ship.

And with regards to Buford's talent, it is clearly there - but this is a kid who is top 100 on one list (ESPN), and four-star on another (247) - and then three-star on Rivals and Scout. He's talented but I'm sure that some of the experts felt the same way that he did - a kid without a position and without the skills to play the 3 or the size to play the 4. Under this staff, I have no question that he would have developed, but he was far from a "sure" thing.

That being said, from everything Charlie said, and what I've read, he handled recruiting as well as he could have, and that he is a good kid. I wish him nothing but the best.

Advertisement
Back