Update Frank Ladson

For several years, Miami Hurricane fans have bemoaned the so-called talent gap between UM and ACC perennial frontrunner Clemson.

This year Miami has one player with direct knowledge on that gap … and if it’s big or small.

That’s WR Frank Ladson, Jr., who signed with the Tigers in the Class of 2019. Ladson transferred to Miami last month.

His take on the gap?

“Honestly, being in the locker room with those guys, I know I haven’t been here long but I don’t see a gap, honestly,” Ladson said at a recent LifeWallet event. “It’ll be a very interesting year.”

For the Canes, the hope is Ladson can emulate the success of the last transfer that came to Miami, Oklahoma transfer Charleston Rambo - he had 1,172 yards and seven TDs last season.

Ladson’s career at Clemson was derailed by injury. His best year at Clemson was in 2020 when he had 18 receptions for 281 yards while starting four games. This past year he had season-ending groin surgery in October and had just four catches.

“I’m good,” Ladson said. “I’ve been doing Fourth Quarter drills, all the workouts, routes, everything.”

Ladson says he’s fully cleared to do spring ball but isn’t sure what receiver position he’ll start out playing.

“Somewhere on the outside, I’ll probably move around,” he said. “It’s a new offense, new coach.”

Ladson says the receivers have gone over “some of the offense” with new coordinator Josh Gattis.

“That’s been great,” Ladson said. “Where he’s been, a lot of the guys he’s coached - I’m really excited.

“It’s a little bit of everything (in the offense). I think it’s going to be fun to be in a new system, learning a new system. I’m excited.”

Ladson has high expectations, and that starts with hard work this spring.

He’s participated in the Fourth Quarter workouts and says “I’m just a team guy, man. I love the guys, love everybody, the fans.”

The bottom line for Ladson, who is a former Homestead South Dade High star?

“I love being back home,” he says. “I’m just going to work hard and do my part.”
I don't believe you Frank. Over the years there has been a big WR talent gap between us and Clemson.

Advertisement
For several years, Miami Hurricane fans have bemoaned the so-called talent gap between UM and ACC perennial frontrunner Clemson.

This year Miami has one player with direct knowledge on that gap … and if it’s big or small.

That’s WR Frank Ladson, Jr., who signed with the Tigers in the Class of 2019. Ladson transferred to Miami last month.

His take on the gap?

“Honestly, being in the locker room with those guys, I know I haven’t been here long but I don’t see a gap, honestly,” Ladson said at a recent LifeWallet event. “It’ll be a very interesting year.”

For the Canes, the hope is Ladson can emulate the success of the last transfer that came to Miami, Oklahoma transfer Charleston Rambo - he had 1,172 yards and seven TDs last season.

Ladson’s career at Clemson was derailed by injury. His best year at Clemson was in 2020 when he had 18 receptions for 281 yards while starting four games. This past year he had season-ending groin surgery in October and had just four catches.

“I’m good,” Ladson said. “I’ve been doing Fourth Quarter drills, all the workouts, routes, everything.”

Ladson says he’s fully cleared to do spring ball but isn’t sure what receiver position he’ll start out playing.

“Somewhere on the outside, I’ll probably move around,” he said. “It’s a new offense, new coach.”

Ladson says the receivers have gone over “some of the offense” with new coordinator Josh Gattis.

“That’s been great,” Ladson said. “Where he’s been, a lot of the guys he’s coached - I’m really excited.

“It’s a little bit of everything (in the offense). I think it’s going to be fun to be in a new system, learning a new system. I’m excited.”

He’s participated in the Fourth Quarter workouts and says “I’m just a team guy, man. I love the guys, love everybody, the fans.”

“I love being back home,” he says. “I’m just going to work hard and do my part.”
I think we all understand the main issues weren't necessarily the talent gap with the kids... Moreso the talent gap between the COACHES.

I mean Clemson has fallen off a bit in the last year so I buy Frank's sentiment more than I do Rique's, which was asinine.

Advertisement

His take on the gap?

What's he supposed to say?

Last year when he joined the team. Not a big deal just saying it's common for these guys to say this stuff.
I remember now. I think after one of our losses he started to back pedal from that. Good point though. Most guys are not going to publicly state that the current team and locker room they are trying to fit in with is less talented than the one they came from. Just doesn’t really make any sense from a logical perspective. I agree the statement should be taken with a grain of salt.

Advertisement
Added details of what Rique really said, something along the lines of UGA recruits better and have bigger guys but here the guys get to the ball faster. I’m paraphrasing but that gave me a bittersweet feeling. I think Mario knows this and is doing everything in his power to add size and strength to the team. UGA just beat Bama in the Ship this past year. Hate on them or not but rn they have the blueprint to success.

His take on the gap?

We’ve always been pretty good or comparable at the skill positions. Yes they have had a few outstanding guys the last three or four years but on the whole we are close at the skill positions and he sees these guys running around in shorts. He hasn’t see d lineman and o lineman playing football. That’s where the difference has been. Oh and of course the last few Qbs not named DJ.

Last edited:
Advertisement

His take on the gap?

How much of an @sshole would you have to be to come in to a new locker room and immediately tell everybody they aren’t as good as where you came from? I’d take this with a grain of salt.

How does Ladson magically stay healthy and contribute in HRS when he was unable to do so at Death Valley?

Advertisement
I'm not out on it but I'm tired of these kids spurning UM only to come crawling back
You have to keep in mind that these kids were offered better programs and coaching. Kinda like how kids and us too see Miami now. You have an emotional attachment. When local star recruits see former stars and teammates come back to the U that's a positive image.

Advertisement
Back