Update at WR as true frosh Richards deals with turf toe

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Ahmmon.jpg

One of the most notable things from Richt’s media session after Tuesday morning’s practice was him mentioning that freshman WR Ahmmon Richards has been dealing with turf toe and has not been at 100% speed. Richards had been one of the most electrifying players on the roster over the course of the first week of camp.

A source told CanesInSight that Richards has not been participating during the competitive parts of practice the last few days. Miami’s coach also said that Richards had looked “really good” prior to the injury but that, “he’s really not what he was”.

A couple guys stepping up in Richards’ place – Dayall Harris and Malcolm Lewis.

The JUCO transfer Harris “is ahead of everybody” at the X-receiver spot, Richt said. Richards and Darrell Langham are battling for the spot behind Harris, but the situation could change when Richards gets healthy, he added.

Richt called the redshirt senior Lewis “very reliable and very consistent” and added “He’s going to play a good bit for us.” The coaching staff is teaching Lewis the X-spot in Richards’ absence.

Sam Bruce’s progress was summed up in a nutshell as Coach Richt described a touchdown reception he made near the end of practice.

“He’s still learning what to do – that’s part of his issue,” Richt said. “The last play of red zone, he ran the wrong route and true to form around here, we threw it to the guy who ran the wrong route and he scored, so maybe we invented penicillin there.”

More coming on Dayall Harris later today from CIS's David Perez.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I pray one year we have all of our horses ready %100 percent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turf toe is a *****, it's like a high ankle sprain. Probably annoy you all year.

“He’s still learning what to do – that’s part of his issue,” Richt said. “The last play of red zone, he ran the wrong route and true to form around here, we threw it to the guy who ran the wrong route and he scored, so maybe we invented penicillin there.”

Slap that quote on a Mark Richt picture and we got some motivational posters to make some merch money on.

Sam Bruce is not to be confined by the pedestrian and antiquated constraints of pass routes. He gets open and makes TDs. Deal with it. It's like getting mad at Luther Robinson for shooting a gap and getting a sack.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sounds like Richards has a grade one turf toe that will allow him limited movement on that joint. With rest and movement restrictive devices he should be ok. I'm no doctor, but familiar with the degrees of turf toe.

I pray one year we have all of our horses ready %100 percent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need more horses. This is exactly why we need to stack blue-chip players: injuries are 100 percent guaranteed and that's why every great team has depth

This is our biggest problem right now

Advertisement
Sounds like Richards has a grade one turf toe that will allow him limited movement on that joint. With rest and movement restrictive devices he should be ok. I'm no doctor, but familiar with the degrees of turf toe.

What hotel did you stay at last night?

Advertisement
We're going to be thankful that Lewis is still here.

Getting the feeling that the production from both Richards and Bruce will be minimal.

We're going to be thankful that Lewis is still here.

Getting the feeling that the production from both Richards and Bruce will be minimal.

Lewis will struggle to get on the field this yesr

Disagreed. Especially if Bruce is slow to catch up and Richards' injury lingers. Turf toe is a fickle *****, so let's hope it's minor. Harris, Coley, and Berrios gon' play a whole lot though.

Advertisement
Back