Up for Some Rank Speculation?

Advertisement
I read this in a Herald article today:
"Diaz told Rose and Zagacki that “there was a guy in this year’s [recruiting] cycle that I don’t know he wanted all the smoke that comes with being a Miami Hurricane. It’s not for everybody. You’ll be held to a very high standard.”..."
I know who I think he's referring to, but does anyone else have thoughts or even information?
Was he looking in the mirror?

We will see if Manny is down with the smoke if year 3 does not yield him 9 plus wins.

Advertisement
Kinda weak to be putting that out there
Also pretty hilarious coming from Manny Diaz and his many accomplishments. Then when you combine it with the reports that player(s) are saying that this year, the coaches are not looking at seniority but playing the best players.....and you gotta laugh. We are doing that this year huh? Well congrats on playing the best guys finally. We should hold the coaches to the higher standards.

Also pretty hilarious coming from Manny Diaz and his many accomplishments. Then when you combine it with the reports that player(s) are saying that this year, the coaches are not looking at seniority but playing the best players.....and you gotta laugh. We are doing that this year huh? Well congrats on playing the best guys finally. We should hold the coaches to the higher standards.

There are no “reports” just a comment from some random dude on Twitter.

Advertisement
If he actually said what was quoted, and I’m not sure of this because I personally haven’t heard it so I can’t verify it, it was poorly worded on his part.

This type of comment is beneath what I would expect of a head coach, and if he worked for me, I would call him out on it, in private.

I wouldn’t make too much of it though, there is a long undisputed history of head coaches saying incredibly stupid things, much more stupid than this, and I’m talking about some of the most successful head coaches of all time. Real whoppers. Great coaches, good coaches, and mediocre coaches.

I think his mouth raced ahead of his brain for a moment, when he said “there was this one guy” and my guess is he regrets it.

It would have been better to say something general along the lines of “there are some players just don’t want to work hard enough to meet a high standard and those are the players that we are NOT going to recruit.“ Saying something like he supposedly said serves no purpose.

I read this in a Herald article today:
"Diaz told Rose and Zagacki that “there was a guy in this year’s [recruiting] cycle that I don’t know he wanted all the smoke that comes with being a Miami Hurricane. It’s not for everybody. You’ll be held to a very high standard.”..."
I know who I think he's referring to, but does anyone else have thoughts or even information?
Keep in mind that this quote about being held to a "very high standard" if you play for UM comes from a coach who lost to GT, Duke, FIU and La Tech (not to mention UF, UNC and VT) in 2019 and got beat bad by Clemson, murked by UNC at home and lost to OSU in the Beef O'Brady Bowl in 2020.

Man some y’all will complain with anything Diaz does or says.

Some complain he’s beta for getting punked by these kids.

And now some of y’all saying I don’t agree with putting this out there. He didn’t say who and he used it as a way to promote the program.

What’s the problem?
I agree our fanbase is the weakest in the nation and it anit close.

Advertisement
If he actually said what was quoted, and I’m not sure of this because I personally haven’t heard it so I can’t verify it, it was poorly worded on his part.

This type of comment is beneath what I would expect of a head coach, and if he worked for me, I would call him out on it, in private.

I wouldn’t make too much of it though, there is a long undisputed history of head coaches saying incredibly stupid things, much more stupid than this, and I’m talking about some of the most successful head coaches of all time. Real whoppers. Great coaches, good coaches, and mediocre coaches.

I think his mouth raced ahead of his brain for a moment, when he said “there was this one guy” and my guess is he regrets it.

It would have been better to say something general along the lines of “there are some players just don’t want to work hard enough to meet a high standard and those are the players that we are NOT going to recruit.“ Saying something like he supposedly said serves no purpose.
Jesus christ you guys are soft as ****

Jesus christ you guys are soft as ****

How is it that I am soft?

I thought singling out an anonymous individual was a bad look and accomplishes nothing other than give your enemies ammunition.

I also said that since coaches are known to say stupid things from time to time, it’s not a big deal.

I understand coaches are not going to be held to a standard that I would find acceptable in a professional environment, so in the end, it will be forgotten.

I’m not sure what kind of coach Manny ends up being, maybe he fails or succeeds, but I do know he’s a pretty smart guy, and a smart guy would come to the realization that wasn’t necessarily the greatest thing to say.

Keep in mind that this quote about being held to a "very high standard" if you play for UM comes from a coach who lost to GT, Duke, FIU and La Tech (not to mention UF, UNC and VT) in 2019 and got beat bad by Clemson, murked by UNC at home and lost to OSU in the Beef O'Brady Bowl in 2020.
I'd say losing those games wasn't up to his standards or he wouldn't have made so many changes the last two years.

Advertisement
If Manny said that, I don’t have a problem with it. If he named the player, THAT would have been a bad look. Some kids just won’t fit at the U and that’s ok and they need to go elsewhere.

tbh there's a lot of soft kids this cycle, every year they seem to get softer and softer and it's sickening.. Case is point is Spells running away because they didn't make him feel yummy enough inside. Helms hating on programs that had good players come before him. Quan Lee asking people to pay for his uhaul business on go fund me after telling the world UCF made him feel like a king for driving a golf cart, then being butthurt when dropped by Miami. One story after another just has me scratching my head at how entitled this generation of "everyone is a winner" me first players are. Sports it becoming unwatchable with all these crybabies going all the way up to the pros. The US basketball team is a bunch me first players with little heart, heck even Simone Biles gave up after crowing all year about being the greatest gymnast that's ever lived or ever will live with just one setback. This is without a doubt the weakest generation of kids the world has ever produced.

Last edited:

Very true but that's not his point. His point is that some players dont want the pressure and spotlight that comes with being a Miami player. That would be like if Diaz was offered the Miami HC job and chickened out and said no. Obviously he didnt do that.

Advertisement
Back