Until we get a real FG kicker

Advertisement
maybe. With a large enough sample size Manny may do it mid-season. Right now he is going to go with the guy he has. He is trying to pump the kicker's confidence right now so doing this so early you will just have Baxa become an emotional train wreck.

Advertisement
I remember USC doing this when Lane Kiffin was coach. I think we’re fine with point afters. The one he missed against UNC was blocked, so I don’t think it’s entirely Bubba’s fault.

But the field goal uncertainty is real...

Seriously we don’t have ANYBODY that can take his place ? **** I guess they thought Bagley was gonna be here forever

Advertisement
I remember USC doing this when Lane Kiffin was coach. I think we’re fine with point afters. The one he missed against UNC was blocked, so I don’t think it’s entirely Bubba’s fault.

But the field goal uncertainty is real...
It was his fault. There is no need to have low trajectory on an extra point. You kick it lower if kicking a 50 yarder, for the extra distance. Extra points, you don't line drive.

Badgley was ....

2014 34/38 89.5% XP 14/18 77.8% FGs
2015 40/40 100% XP 25/30 83.3% FGs
2016 53/55 96.4% XP 21/26 80.8% FGs
2017 45/46 97.8% XP 17/23 73.9% FGs

Baxa has been ...

2018 45/46 97.8% XP 9/12 75% FGs
2019 3/4 75% XP 4/7 57.1% FGs

Let's see how this season plays out before throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Did he miss a couple crucial kicks already? ... yes
Has the protection been less than ideal? .... yes
Can it get better from here (or worse)? ... yes
Is it too early to tell? ... yes

The angle on the UFag chipshot kick was rough. Not an excuse, just a fact. He should have made it but those short kicks at a severe angle cause lots of kickers problems.

The short UNC kick was apparently low but the protection was garbage resulting in the deflection.

He made a great 50 yd kick early in the game (from the center of the hashes) but the combination of the distance and being on the left has made the game tying kick a 50/50 proposition even for the best college kickers.

Not yet. If this continues on then yea. Weve played 2 games and both have been on the road. Give the guy a chance to settle in or you'll break him even more.
Would also be nice if they actually block for him. One kick was outright blocked because Donaldson let a player that probably weighed 50 lbs less than him blow right through him, and another was partially deflected because it was a bit low, and the entire blocking line got shoved back a couple yards.

Advertisement
The solution is simple if you're not going to make a change:

take a delay of game penalty and back things up so Baxa isn't kicking at such a difficult angle on any kick inside of 30 yards from either hashish.

Should we go for every fourth down inside the 35, and go for 2 after every TD?

Yeah, this is why I really do not have a problem with any decision to go for it, especially around the 30 for longer field goals. I feel like we are essentially looking at a toss-up as to whether or not the FG is made. Obviously, your kicker being about 50/50 on any length FG is a big problem. It means that even when you "settle for a FG" you come away with nothing all too often.

Advertisement
Should we go for every fourth down inside the 35, and go for 2 after every TD?
I like it! We’d be Oregon in there prime when chip was there. They were the first university to really dive into the analytics of the game and the analytics say to go for it. Diaz fancies himself an analytics guy and we have a terrible kicker and special teams in general so I say go for it. It can’t get much worse then watching another blown chip shot or missed extra point. Bubba is done mentally like decals last year, you can see it in his eyes. Of course you should never offer a kicker a scholarship who you know, couldn’t make field goals in highschool for god sakes.

If I'm Manny, I would kick the tires and see what Hedley can do in practice. I mean he's from Australia he had to play soccer we just need something automatic inside the 30. Or walk on tryouts but I doubt that goes anywhere considering we don't have mens soccer.

Advertisement
Back