Until we get a real FG kicker

Advertisement
I like it! We’d be Oregon in there prime when chip was there. They were the first university to really dive into the analytics of the game and the analytics say to go for it. Diaz fancies himself an analytics guy and we have a terrible kicker and special teams in general so I say go for it. It can’t get much worse then watching another blown chip shot or missed extra point. Bubba is done mentally like decals last year, you can see it in his eyes. Of course you should never offer a kicker a scholarship who you know, couldn’t make field goals in highschool for god sakes.

It sounds crazy but yes, the analytics support it. Diaz is supposed to be a sabermetrics guy so it's odd he isnt using the strategy. Maybe its because Miami's red zone offense is one of the worst in the NCAA. If the red zone offense improves, he might take more chances.

And everybody hates Jersey Miike.

Exactly. Badge was a very good kicker but according to some of the football "experts" on this board, he sucked. Way too early to give up on Baxa. He wasnt bad last year and has made 2 fgs from over 40 yards this season. Needs to make the 20-29 yarders obviously.

I remember USC doing this when Lane Kiffin was coach. I think we’re fine with point afters. The one he missed against UNC was blocked, so I don’t think it’s entirely Bubba’s fault.

But the field goal uncertainty is real...

on the blocked FG, the long snapper (wjho appears to be 5'4" and 145lbs) completely missed his assignment.

look at the film, going through motions...

awful

Should we go for every fourth down inside the 35, and go for 2 after every TD?

Baxa’s issue appears to be that he can’t kick at an angle. He kicks straight like a pro. Put him on the hash and it’s maybe 50/50 at best. Should be correctible. We’ll see.

Advertisement
Are we blaming angles? That’s laughable. Could’ve sworn Diaz was out there kicking the way we blame him.

If Baxa made half the kicks he’s missed we might be 2-0

Should we go for every fourth down inside the 35, and go for 2 after every TD?
I want to say that's not a terrible idea, but I know what will happen. We'll tally up our next losing score and find that if Baxa could have hit 50% of his PATs and 1 of his 4 FG we would have won. Instead we kept going for it and missing.

Speaking of the kicking game, I don't really believe in such a thing as karmic backlash, but I could swear that for the better part of 2 decades, from 1982-2002, whether it was Davis, Huerta, Sievers or any of our other kickers, every time Miami absolutely needed a FG, they drilled it, and every time we needed our opponent to miss a FG, they missed.

We're almost 20 years through the exact opposite of that, where every time we need a kick, we don't get it, while our opponents barely ever miss, even hitting 50-yarders while slipping on the turf. Unbelievably, we've even taken to missing extra points at crucial times.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Speaking of the kicking game, I don't really believe in such a thing as karmic backlash, but I could swear that for the better part of 2 decades, from 1982-2002, whether it was Davis, Huerta, Sievers or any of our other kickers, every time Miami absolutely needed a FG, they drilled it, and every time we needed our opponent to miss a FG, they missed.

We're almost 20 years through the exact opposite of that, where every time we need a kick, we don't get it, while our opponents barely ever miss, even hitting 50-yarders while slipping on the turf. Unbelievably, we've even taken to missing extra points at crucial times.

It changed in 2005. In 2004 we beat FSU because of a blocked FG. In 2005 we lost to team because of a missed 25 yardish FG.

We don't have a back up kicker? What if Baxa gets hurt? Can't belive there isn't a 2nd option even if it means walk-on.

on the blocked FG, the long snapper (wjho appears to be 5'4" and 145lbs) completely missed his assignment.

look at the film, going through motions...

awful

I have to rewatch it. Definitely didn’t notice the size of the long snapper.

lol we're close to getting to that if this nonsense continues. really makes you wonder what our record is if this idiot can make a chip shot

Advertisement
Badgley was ....

2014 34/38 89.5% XP 14/18 77.8% FGs
2015 40/40 100% XP 25/30 83.3% FGs
2016 53/55 96.4% XP 21/26 80.8% FGs
2017 45/46 97.8% XP 17/23 73.9% FGs

Baxa has been ...

2018 45/46 97.8% XP 9/12 75% FGs
2019 3/4 75% XP 4/7 57.1% FGs

Let's see how this season plays out before throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Did he miss a couple crucial kicks already? ... yes
Has the protection been less than ideal? .... yes
Can it get better from here (or worse)? ... yes
Is it too early to tell? ... yes

The angle on the UFag chipshot kick was rough. Not an excuse, just a fact. He should have made it but those short kicks at a severe angle cause lots of kickers problems.

The short UNC kick was apparently low but the protection was garbage resulting in the deflection.

He made a great 50 yd kick early in the game (from the center of the hashes) but the combination of the distance and being on the left has made the game tying kick a 50/50 proposition even for the best college kickers.
We're good, chicken little's will always rule this board.

Advertisement
Back