Univ. of Cincinnati Shuts down Men's Soccer Program

Advertisement
G5 program. Don't read too much into it. They get pennies from TV and bowl and CFP tie ins unlike the P5 programs.

It's hard to run programs at the G5 level when they're trying to do everything P5 programs are doing. What they should do is completely overhaul the G5 model and start playing football in spring or something like that and have their own playoff system.

Probably was already in the works and this virus gave them an early out. Wouldn’t be surprised if most schools cancel non revenue generating sports (obviously excluding football and basketball). Those sports are essential revenue wise for most schools however the women sports and men’s soccer, and other miscellaneous sporting leagues are not to be honest

Advertisement
D1 soccer is dead due the academies taking all the kids. The academies don’t allow kids to play high school. If your a 16 year old player and haven’t been picked up by a professional team yet, then you're likely college bound. But the scouting system for college soccer is nowhere near the level of football. If soccer in America would just take a page from football and have an established coaching network for high schools then soccer on the US would explode. As long as they continue this pay to play system US soccer is fckd.
Imagine making kids pay thousands a year to get the best coaching for football. How many optimist kids would stop playing right now? What about the muck?
US soccer has basically said that any kid that is broke in the US has no chance of being a professional soccer player. And the academies are not gonna let that money go. If US soccer was for real they would subsidize coaches salaries in high school so they would have quality to coaches and open tryouts for the most talented kids. I know kids in rec soccer that are better than some of the acandemy kids but the parents can’t afford it.

Edit: the last sentence I meant travel soccer.
My kid is on a travel team and his classmate is better than he is but his parents can’t afford travel soccer. The parents feel like sht and have no options. Mind you were talking about an 8 year old that probably has natural talent and no real avenue to develop it due to money. And we wonder why we can’t make the World Cup.

Last edited:
D1 soccer is dead due the academies taking all the kids. The academies don’t allow kids to play high school. If your a 16 year old player and haven’t been picked up by a professional team yet, then you're likely college bound. But the scouting system for college soccer is nowhere near the level of football. If soccer in America would just take a page from football and have an established coaching network for high schools then soccer on the US would explode. As long as they continue this pay to play system US soccer is fckd.
Imagine making kids pay thousands a year to get the best coaching for football. How many optimist kids would stop playing right now? What about the muck?
US soccer has basically said that any kid that is broke in the US has no chance of being a professional soccer player. And the academies are not gonna let that money go. If US soccer was for real they would subsidize coaches salaries in high school so they would have quality to coaches and open tryouts for the most talented kids. I know kids in rec soccer that are better than some of the acandemy kids but the parents can’t afford it.
Solid post. The pay to play system has been our hamstring for decades. It's why our team (especially prior to about 5 years ago) was almost solely comprised of white kids from the New England area. It's absurd and we will never be better until it changes.

Having said that, I've heard a lot of people with a lot more knowledge on the topic than me say the answer is not college soccer; that, in fact, the college system we have hurts us. That camp advocates for an increased academy system. It's worth noting the rest of the soccer world uses a tiered academy system and starts farming them before they even have hair under their armpits.

Last edited:
G5 program. Don't read too much into it. They get pennies from TV and bowl and CFP tie ins unlike the P5 programs.

It's hard to run programs at the G5 level when they're trying to do everything P5 programs are doing. What they should do is completely overhaul the G5 model and start playing football in spring or something like that and have their own playoff system.

Cincy has one of the highest budgets in the AAC. And the AAC just signed a new TV deal bringing $7M/year. I doubt this has anything to do about Money.

Advertisement

My kid is on a travel team and his classmate is better than he is but his parents can’t afford travel soccer. The parents feel like sht and have no options. Mind you were talking about an 8 year old that probably has natural talent and no real avenue to develop it due to money. And we wonder why we can’t make the World Cup.

What you said is the exact reason why Soccer is dead in America.

Advertisement
Solid post. The pay to play system has been our hamstring for decades. It's why our team (especially prior to about 5 years ago) was almost solely comprised of white kids from the New England area. It's absurd and we will never be better until it changes.

Having said that, I've heard a lot of people with a lot more knowledge on the topic than me say the answer is not college soccer; that, in fact, the college system hurts us. That camp advocates for an increased academy system. It's worth noting the rest of the soccer world uses a tiered academy system and starts farming them before they even have hair under their armpits.
D1 soccer is basically academy flunkies and foreign players. It’s almost impossible to get a d1 scholarship now a days and f you only play high school. Just take a look at d1 rosters make and female. I remember watching the women’s World Cup and a bunch of foreign players play here for d1 schools. We literally have a soccer field in every middle school and high school in America. But US soccer is in bed with these developmental academies and they are not going to shake the status quo. Until that changes we will suck and only a few players a year will be skillful enough to play in Europe.
imagine Brazil having no players from the favelas? Or the nfl not having single player that isn’t from a middle class family.
I’m not saying you have to be broke to be good. But your erasing an entire demographic. South America and Europe look under every rock demographic or race for players. Messi at 12 years old in small town in Argentina got a plane ticket plus room and board to play for Barcelona. While the is ignores a huge swath of players cause they can’t pay. It’s so stupid it’s comical.

This is not true. Almost all top level academy kids are still playing some college. Even top level academy/college kids don’t make a MLS roster to start with.

Advertisement

We miss so many inner city immigrant kids who never get into the pay for play travel system.

Even the guys who don't follow soccer probably know of a guy named Lionel Messi. Barcelona (one of the world's huge clubs for those who don't know) picked him up at 13 and paid for medical treatments his parents couldn't afford. He's been playing soccer constantly since without restriction to how many hours he can practice.

D1 soccer is basically academy flunkies and foreign players. It’s almost impossible to get a d1 scholarship now a days and f you only play high school. Just take a look at d1 rosters make and female. I remember watching the women’s World Cup and a bunch of foreign players play here for d1 schools. We literally have a soccer field in every middle school and high school in America. But US soccer is in bed with these developmental academies and they are not going to shake the status quo. Until that changes we will suck and only a few players a year will be skillful enough to play in Europe.
imagine Brazil having no players from the favelas? Or the nfl not having single player that isn’t from a middle class family.
I’m not saying you have to be broke to be good. But your erasing an entire demographic. South America and Europe look under every rock demographic or race for players. Messi at 12 years old in small town in Argentina got a plane ticket plus room and board to play for Barcelona. While the is ignores a huge swath of players cause they can’t pay. It’s so stupid it’s comical.
Real hard to have the hunger you need to have to make in in professional sports when you're a middle class kid going to matches in your parents' Mercedes

We miss so many inner city immigrant kids who never get into the pay for play travel system.

Even the guys who don't follow soccer probably know of a guy named Lionel Messi. Barcelona (one of the world's huge clubs for those who don't know) picked him up at 13 and paid for medical treatments his parents couldn't afford. He's been playing soccer constantly since without restriction to how many hours he can practice.
Facts. We get kids here in sofla from all over that can straight ball but the parents can’t pay.

Real hard to have the hunger you need to have to make in in professional sports when you're a middle class kid going to matches in your parents' Mercedes
Yes and no.
the problem with middle class is also the mls salary.
If a middle class kid plays football at least he.has a chance to get a d1 schollie and if he’s good enough make a lot more money than his parents. If a 16 year old kid is borderline mls talent why would he continue when he can just become a doctor or a lawyer or go into tech. Why sacrifice yourself for a few years of a low 6 figure salary and then get replaced before even 30 and have nothing to show for it.
If the mls as paying out nfl money and also endorsement money and fame then class really doesn’t matter. Christian Mcafrey wasn’t broke. Neither were any of the Manning brothers.

Advertisement
Back