Unique defensive grouping at practice, per Ivins

I'm all for different packages and putting the best 11 on the field. I think that's where Venables stands out as a DC. Been a 4-3 guy his entire career but went primarily 3-3-5 last year just due to personnel.

If we're going to do a 3 down personnel, it can't look how it did last year. It needs to look how Manny had his packages playing/ lining up. Much more creative and effective.

Also, 100% need to see a Rousseau/Phillips/Roche/ Harvey and/or Holly rush package. Let them go make a play.

Advertisement
Manny had the 4-2-5 absolutely dialed in his last year as DC. We absolutely suffocated teams and forced bookoo turnovers with Johnson and Redwine at safety. This year our DB play wasn’t half as good, but Baker didn’t help with his blitz packages. Was also bummed how he used Trevon Hill more as a spy coverage DE.

Advertisement
We have the personnel to run a 3-3-5. Problem is we don’t preach gap discipline/integrity - so we end up getting f’ing gashed. Our leverage is ***** all too often when we’re in a set like that.

I’m ALL for it IF we can coach it up 100x better.

With that said, we can go 4 DL and the back 2-5 should be DEADLY if we put the right personnel on the field. And coach’m up.
Yes Yes Yes and Yes! My thoughts exactly. I'll also add that whatever the fack Baker was doing on 3rd and long last year was a trainwreck. That 3 man line with Rousseau inside was just awful. Baker has plenty of talent to work with this year and he needs to do much better. IMO Baker is on the hot seat.

Advertisement
Baker starting early this off season in frustrating the fan base! Off to a hot start!

Rushing 3 on passing downs was beyond ineffective last year. Not to mention his dumb *** decided to slide Rosseau inside while only rushing 3! All for sliding Rosseau inside, but you have to rush 4 for this to be effective. Watching this defense on 3rd down while only rushing 3 last season was pathetic. Please don't make this harder than it needs to be Baker.

But why wont we move Carter to Striker and Gil to Safety, just seems like the best logical choice

Advertisement
I nominate you as our new d-co, that might be to complicated for ole young baker, after the 3 man rush, you lost ( ) em! Its beautiful how you can just got to youtube, type in just 4th and 17, and our option is the 1st one that comes up. I havent seen the dumb a defensive play call since this one:

That 4th and 17 had 3 DL, sure, but we also brought 2 dudes from the secondary, and chose to drop a DL. Honestly, if they just decided to allow the 8 guys in the secondary to remain in coverage, and our DL to push with all they've got, they dont convert.

Agree with most of the posters: Baker comes up with all of these gimmicks, like he is still coaching at LA. Tech. You kicked Greg inside, then at the same time you take Garvin and dropped him into coverage, but then you send a safety that's 15 yards of the ball, that happens to run into the blitzing linebacker who happens to be going through the same gap. Don't know which was worst the 4th and 17 at NC. or the 3rd and 19 @ FIU where they just ran a draw up the middle for a first down. VT and GT basically beat us with dink passes to TE and RB's and QB runs up the middle, just a total lack of discipline by our defense. When we stunt we leave gaps, or run into each other, and TE crossing our formations the VT T.E. had a All American field day against us, and he was still getting opened in the 4th quarter .

That 4th and 17 had 3 DL, sure, but we also brought 2 dudes from the secondary, and chose to drop a DL. Honestly, if they just decided to allow the 8 guys in the secondary to remain in coverage, and our DL to push with all they've got, they dont convert.

It was simply one of the dumbest defensive play calls that could've been made and he made it, than to make matters worst, he said the call was "executed wrong". I'd rather us had kept 8 back like you said and play quarters, wasnt that complicated a call that had to be made, even if they had somehow gotten the sack, it was still the wrong call. Not only did he call for a 2 man blitz and dropped a d-lineman, he brings the blitz from the qb's blindside which was stupid as *****, for that situation. If anything, in that situation, if you gone bring a blitz, bring it to the qb's strongside so he can see it coming, that'll speex his clock up, or force/flush him to throw going the other way, most qb's, especially True Freshman qb's not completing a 17yrd pass going the opposite direction!

Advertisement
It was simply one of the dumbest defensive play calls that could've been made and he made it, than to make matters worst, he said the call was "executed wrong". I'd rather us had kept 8 back like you said and play quarters, wasnt that complicated a call that had to be made, even if they had somehow gotten the sack, it was still the wrong call. Not only did he call for a 2 man blitz and dropped a d-lineman, he brings the blitz from the qb's blindside which was stupid as *****, for that situation. If anything, in that situation, if you gone bring a blitz, bring it to the qb's strongside so he can see it coming, that'll speex his clock up, or force/flush him to throw going the other way, most qb's, especially True Freshman qb's not completing a 17yrd pass going the opposite direction!
You could say that was Baker's Jean van de Velde moment.

LoL, we'll see what happens this year, no excuses, got a veteran defense across the board, 2nd year with his terminology, no reason not to be a top 5 defense in the country at the least when healthy!
There is no way in **** Blake Baker is ever fielding a top 5 defense

Advertisement
Back