Unique defensive grouping at practice, per Ivins

IndayArtHauz

Knoxville Baby Maker
Administrator
Rousseau - Holley - Phillips

Gilby - Carter - Hall - K Smiff

He doesn’t say exactly where the 4 Striker/Safeties were lined up (originally I thought this was the front 7, but he didn’t say that). Resulted in Tate throwing a pick to Smiff.

Thought it was worth discussing.

Advertisement
Rousseau - Holley - Phillips

Gilby - Carter - Hall - K Smiff

He doesn’t say exactly where the 4 Striker/Safeties were lined up (originally I thought this was the front 7, but he didn’t say that). Resulted in Tate throwing a pick to Smiff.

Thought it was worth discussing.

Took me a sec to figure out who tf Gilby was, thought it was Ravioli’s sidekick 😂

Advertisement
I'd love to see us implement a 3-3-5 element to this Defense in certain packages.

San Diego St mastered the 3-3-5 & had one of the best Defenses in the country under Zach Barnett who's a Danny Gonzalez/Rocky Long disciple.

When healthy, we have quite a few players that gives us flexibility to infuse scheme diversity & throw different looks out there to create confusion & pressure on offenses.

Due to our DL depth we can mix & match the looks of the front line & put a group of athletes in the Secondary that can all play multiple spots.

For instance:

You can go with 3 down linemen of Rousseau, Miller & Phillips, then have Huff, Brooks & Frierson at LB & the 5 DB's would be Blades/Couch at CB, Hall/Bolden at Safety & the Nickel S would be Keontra Smith.

With Hall playing Deep centerfield, he'll roam & patrol the backfield, Huff will come on a delayed stunt Blitz, while Brooks & Frierson cover the middle of the field & the flats, with Bolden & Smith in quarters coverage, Blades & Couch press man on the outside.

There's probably about a dozen or so combos I could think of in multiple set schemes for our Defense, but the key is to play to our strengths & minimize mistakes being exposed by keeping everything in front of us & allowing the Safety depth to cut down on the Deep ball attacks.

How we stop the short underneath quick passing attack is let all these versatile athletes we have that can be LB/S's just cover the flats & the quick slant routes. If we stop committing our LB's to Blitzing every down we'll have more defenders to put a stop to the death by a thousand paper cuts style offenses we'll face a lot this year.

What we don't want is too many one on ones in the secondary, as long as we have all these Safeties we should be running a majority of our snaps in Nickel & double everything up on the outside.

I just wish we could play some coverage when it’s 3&10+ sit at the 1st down markers and come up to make the tackle

**** with the way we teach our Dline they should be eating with that much time needed

Advertisement
We can disguise Phillips as both a rusher and even dripping back. He had some plays in high school as safety. Even at his size at UCLA he was chasing everything down.

I'd love to see us implement a 3-3-5 element to this Defense in certain packages.

San Diego St mastered the 3-3-5 & had one of the best Defenses in the country under Zach Barnett who's a Danny Gonzalez/Rocky Long disciple.

When healthy, we have quite a few players that gives us flexibility to infuse scheme diversity & throw different looks out there to create confusion & pressure on offenses.

Due to our DL depth we can mix & match the looks of the front line & put a group of athletes in the Secondary that can all play multiple spots.

For instance:

You can go with 3 down linemen of Rousseau, Miller & Phillips, then have Huff, Brooks & Frierson at LB & the 5 DB's would be Blades/Couch at CB, Hall/Bolden at Safety & the Nickel S would be Keontra Smith.

With Hall playing Deep centerfield, he'll roam & patrol the backfield, Huff will come on a delayed stunt Blitz, while Brooks & Frierson cover the middle of the field & the flats, with Bolden & Smith in quarters coverage, Blades & Couch press man on the outside.

There's probably about a dozen or so combos I could think of in multiple set schemes for our Defense, but the key is to play to our strengths & minimize mistakes being exposed by keeping everything in front of us & allowing the Safety depth to cut down on the Deep ball attacks.

How we stop the short underneath quick passing attack is let all these versatile athletes we have that can be LB/S's just cover the flats & the quick slant routes. If we stop committing our LB's to Blitzing every down we'll have more defenders to put a stop to the death by a thousand paper cuts style offenses we'll face a lot this year.

What we don't want is too many one on ones in the secondary, as long as we have all these Safeties we should be running a majority of our snaps in Nickel & double everything up on the outside.

I nominate you as our new d-co, that might be to complicated for ole young baker, after the 3 man rush, you lost ( ) em! Its beautiful how you can just got to youtube, type in just 4th and 17, and our option is the 1st one that comes up. I havent seen the dumb a defensive play call since this one:

Advertisement
All for more exotic personnel packages that are down or opponent specific. There's no value to having slow LBs on the field on long-yardage situations if they can't cover or track down backs on draw plays.

Mixing up fronts and assignments is the part I'm more leery of because the scheme needs to be simple for players to execute. But Diaz generally prides himself on the illusion of complexity and it mostly works until a team like VT shreds us with misdirection and a TE-heavy gameplan.

No issues with this formation against certain offensive schemes. Frierson an Smith are both athletic enough to cover a lot of ground if needed. But I’d worry about speedy and shifty receivers. Needs to be a high probability run or short pass situation.

Advertisement
CIS thinks the D sucks. Practices different look. CIS thinks that sucks too.

Stunning

For instance:

We have the personnel to run a 3-3-5. Problem is we don’t preach gap discipline/integrity - so we end up getting f’ing gashed. Our leverage is ***** all too often when we’re in a set like that.

I’m ALL for it IF we can coach it up 100x better.

With that said, we can go 4 DL and the back 2-5 should be DEADLY if we put the right personnel on the field. And coach’m up.

This has got to be some type of 3rd and long package. In scenarios where the opponent is definitely passing the ball, there’s no use for line backers. @HighSeas is dead right. Get a couple of quicker guys on the field who are good tacklers because most college teams will try to pick up third and really long by going undermeath the coverage and hoping they can break a tackle or two.

Advertisement
Back