Unfortunate news regarding Malek Young

View as article
If you saw some of the things first hand you’d think otherwise

Really? Wow. I was going by a good friend that is a neurosurgeon that spoke very highly of Kaplan. My boy (ironically) had to quit football at Dook over his own spinal issues. I'll obviously defer to your opinion here though since you've seen the entirety of the team's care in person.

A doctor I saw back home also knew Kaplan and spoke highly of him, but many players have to refered to him as “the butcher” for not doing a good job with their ACL surgeries. Vinny Scavo the head athletic trainer is a whole other story

If it’s that much of a concern you have a moral obligation to go to coach Richt, not sure what purpose this serves on a public forum.

You’re also exposing yourself legally since you’re using you’re actual name. Not trying to be a prick, but this is a serious matter that needs to be looked at by people that can make informed sound judgements and have medical knowledge and backgrounds.

Just my 2 cents since you brought it up.

For clarity and peace of mind, Young Pennyfinger has not exposed himself to any sort of legal liability here. Put that nonsense back in your ***, right where you pulled it from. Let the man express himself, offer his insight, even if it's not all plush kittens and double rainbows.

Austin, is Kaplan's questionable locker room reputation the only shortcoming you were referring to?

The athletic training staff (sports medicine) has a pretty bad reputation among the players, as far as doctors some aren't highly regarded but there's others that are good

Advertisement
It may seem like little consolation now but in instances like this we should be glad that the program is attached to some of the better team doctors in the country. Hopefully this is something that at worst just ends the kid's contact sports career.

Really? Wow. I was going by a good friend that is a neurosurgeon that spoke very highly of Kaplan. My boy (ironically) had to quit football at Dook over his own spinal issues. I'll obviously defer to your opinion here though since you've seen the entirety of the team's care in person.

A doctor I saw back home also knew Kaplan and spoke highly of him, but many players have to refered to him as “the butcher” for not doing a good job with their ACL surgeries. Vinny Scavo the head athletic trainer is a whole other story

Unless they have actual evidence of Kaplan doing a "bad" job, that's a ridiculous claim. Certainly Miami would never let him operate on players if they thought he was making mistakes.

Having torn my ACL playing in HS, the bottom line is that recovery is highly variable, and the biggest factor is how much effort you put into rehab, which is outside the doctor's control.

I'm not surprised players feel that way, these guys are elite athletes who are used to being physically dominant, even without much effort. That doesn't mean those claims have merit though. If there is actual evidence of medical malpractice, I'd be incredibly disappointed in the entire program for allowing it to happen

Prayers for him. I believe he was due for a big season. Hope CMR allows him to be around the team to impact in othe ways.

It may seem like little consolation now but in instances like this we should be glad that the program is attached to some of the better team doctors in the country. Hopefully this is something that at worst just ends the kid's contact sports career.

If it’s that much of a concern you have a moral obligation to go to coach Richt, not sure what purpose this serves on a public forum.

You’re also exposing yourself legally since you’re using you’re actual name. Not trying to be a prick, but this is a serious matter that needs to be looked at by people that can make informed sound judgements and have medical knowledge and backgrounds.

Just my 2 cents since you brought it up.

With the Miami Project, led by Barth Green, being one of the world’s premier spinal cord injury programs I suspect Malek was examined and possibly diagnosed by their team.

Advertisement

Unless they have actual evidence of Kaplan doing a "bad" job, that's a ridiculous claim. Certainly Miami would never let him operate on players if they thought he was making mistakes.

Having torn my ACL playing in HS, the bottom line is that recovery is highly variable, and the biggest factor is how much effort you put into rehab, which is outside the doctor's control.

I'm not surprised players feel that way, these guys are elite athletes who are used to being physically dominant, even without much effort. That doesn't mean those claims have merit though. If there is actual evidence of medical malpractice, I'd be incredibly disappointed in the entire program for allowing it to happen

Maybe I shouldn't have even brought it up, but those are some things players talk about. I personally don't have an issue with him since I've never dealt with him.

Should name it the "Malek Young Tunover Chain and retire it to the HOF, and get a new one for this season.

[TWEET]954904211560566785[/TWEET]

Advertisement
Praying for Malek. Excellent player who represented the U the right way.

I hope the young man has a speedy recovery. His health is more important than football.

Advertisement
Man that’s horrible news...praying for him, everyone seems to speak highly of him so I believe he will come through this a stronger man.

Advertisement
This is the juju we receive for those who made fun of Randy Russell's injury (if there were any).

Getting Campbell and Surtain just become x10 times more important we are without a doubt going to end up with Bethel. sigh.

Stfu

When did it happen?? Dang man, I roll w Malek. I hope he makes a full recovery w no lingering effects. You’ll always be a Cane; get that degree young man, and become successful in life. U family.

Love to see him get into coaching

Kid was big on being super technical and wasn’t always about the splashy plays or supreme athleticism

I think he can grow and show great technique

Advertisement
Back