Understated part of our downfall

ball915

All-American
Something that is rarely discussed from Coker to Shannon to Golden to Richt to Diaz is their inability to effectively manage our players/staff. A couple things all of them have in common is they are all labeled as "nice guys" and being "good people". The other being them all citing "recruiting" as the way to fix our problems. Obviously, recruiting does play a major part in getting better and we have won a couple of battles against other elite programs for some key recruits. The point is none of these guys have been killers with only Richt having P5 Head Coaching experience but we got him on his way out. We are located in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country and yearly have lost countless recruits to other programs who pan out. A lot that plays into the culture they are entering which starts with how they are managed. South Florida kids need structure and discipline as their natural talent is something they rely in at the high school level that just isn't enough at the college level. All of these nice guys all have taken the approach of "stacking classes" to get us back and clearly all of them have missed the boat on creating an environment that brings the most out of them. You can bring on the top recruits to campus all day long but if the tune of the current team isn't aligned with their vision or what they are hearing from other established programs we will lose most of those kids, which we have. There is a reason we have lost most of the heads up battles with kids that didn't grow up loving Miami and wins and losses isn't the only reason why. Just offering a perspective that isn't discussed very often.

Advertisement
South Florida kids need structure and discipline as their natural talent is something they rely in at the high school level that just isn't enough at the college level.
I completely agree with this. A lot of the South Florida kids are exposed to a cesspool of scumbags and don’t know how to deal with things they will face in college like competition and adversity. We need a coach who will be a boss and run the show, not a guy who will be pals with the players.

Something that is rarely discussed from Coker to Shannon to Golden to Richt to Diaz is their inability to effectively manage our players/staff. A couple things all of them have in common is they are all labeled as "nice guys" and being "good people". The other being them all citing "recruiting" as the way to fix our problems. Obviously, recruiting does play a major part in getting better and we have won a couple of battles against other elite programs for some key recruits. The point is none of these guys have been killers with only Richt having P5 Head Coaching experience but we got him on his way out. We are located in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country and yearly have lost countless recruits to other programs who pan out. A lot that plays into the culture they are entering which starts with how they are managed. South Florida kids need structure and discipline as their natural talent is something they rely in at the high school level that just isn't enough at the college level. All of these nice guys all have taken the approach of "stacking classes" to get us back and clearly all of them have missed the boat on creating an environment that brings the most out of them. You can bring on the top recruits to campus all day long but if the tune of the current team isn't aligned with their vision or what they are hearing from other established programs we will lose most of those kids, which we have. There is a reason we have lost most of the heads up battles with kids that didn't grow up loving Miami and wins and losses isn't the only reason why. Just offering a perspective that isn't discussed very often.

All honesty, it's as simple as all of those guys, sans Richt, not being head coaching material.

Coker got the University of Texas San Antonio job in their inaugural season (he lasted four years) BECAUSE he was a national title coach at Miami—no other reason. Out of coaching past five seasons.

Shannon kicked around as linebackers coach for years, before finally landing a few defensive coordinator roles. Never in running for another head coaching job.

Golden has been coaching linebackers at garbage NFL franchises like Detroit and Cincinnati—Richt flat out retired; beat from 15 years in the SEC and not up for the challenge of rebuilding Miami.

Diaz will be fired soon enough and he'll be back to the defensive coordinator ranks at another Louisiana Tech-type university.

Miami coaches USED to do great things after winning at UM; Schnelly to the USFL (a good gig on paper), JJ to Dallas, Dennis to Seattle, Butch to Cleveland.

The University of Miami has been promoting #2 guys to the CEO role; something none of them deserved. Has nothing to do with being "nice guys" and everything to do with not being cut out for a #1 role and top dog.

It's a fair point and believe its a combination of the two. Their inexperience of being a P5 CEO at one of the toughest jobs merged with their nice guy personality is the receipe for the perfect storm. (For @ItsAUThing.com)

All kids coming in need structure.

Coker let the players run the show. I give him credit for being smart enough to let Ed and crew be the real coaches. Shannon and Golden I wouldn't call players coaches though. Manny is the coaching version of Nevin Shapiro.

Coker---recruited based on rankings
Shannon---In over his head. His doghouse was 3 stories high.
Golden--Bond with NoD did him in, debatable whether he could actually succeed or not with a new dc
Manny--No qualities at all, and the fact he has recruited somewhat decent, tells me the U isn't as dead as we actually think it is.

Your post is why I prefer Lane. We need real swagger not some cuban chain nonsense false bravado. I want a guy that runs up the score. I miss being hated by all of college football.

Advertisement
It's a chicken and egg situation. They're not managing players because they're not winning. If they were winning, kids would fall in line. But once the losses come, everyone becomes unruly. You can be a players coach and garner the kids respect if you're winning or have a history of doing so.

All kids coming in need structure.

Coker let the players run the show. I give him credit for being smart enough to let Ed and crew be the real coaches. Shannon and Golden I wouldn't call players coaches though. Manny is the coaching version of Nevin Shapiro.

Coker---recruited based on rankings
Shannon---In over his head. His doghouse was 3 stories high.
Golden--Bond with NoD did him in, debatable whether he could actually succeed or not with a new dc
Manny--No qualities at all, and the fact he has recruited somewhat decent, tells me the U isn't as dead as we actually think it is.

Your post is why I prefer Lane. We need real swagger not some cuban chain nonsense false bravado. I want a guy that runs up the score. I miss being hated by all of college football.
Manny and Shannon were hired from failing regimes.

Bad hiring practice. Ok to keep good staff but you dont promote someone from a failing regime to run the show.

To me the two were almost identical hires

They let a majority of the best players leave sfla, pretty easy to see why we failed.

Advertisement
I wanted Diaz to succeed more than any coach I can remember. He truly comes across like he wanted to be the one to bring UM back. The rest I was never convinced. (Shannon was too entitled, Golden was using us for the PSU gig, Richt saw this as a retirement job) Diaz seemed different. That said, he failed. Couldnt do it. It happens. No love lost. I dont hate the guy like I hated Golden. But its time for him to move on.

And yes, I sincerely believe the reason he hasnt given up on some of "his guys" is because he has an emotional attachment to them. Especially the ones on defense. (Mallory, Bolden, Carter, McCloud, Ford especially)

Manny and Shannon were hired from failing regimes.

Bad hiring practice. Ok to keep good staff but you dont promote someone from a failing regime to run the show.

To me the two were almost identical hires
I agree wholeheartedly but to be fair, Shannon gave a lot to this school. I don't see it that way with Manny. Both very lazy hires, no doubt.

I wanted Diaz to succeed more than any coach I can remember. He truly comes across like he wanted to be the one to bring UM back. The rest I was never convinced. (Shannon was too entitled, Golden was using us for the PSU gig, Richt saw this as a retirement job) Diaz seemed different. That said, he failed. Couldnt do it. It happens. No love lost. I dont hate the guy like I hated Golden. But its time for him to move on.

And yes, I sincerely believe the reason he hasnt given up on some of "his guys" is because he has an emotional attachment to them. Especially the ones on defense. (Mallory, Bolden, Carter, McCloud, Ford especially)
If Shannon miraculously would have succeeded, might be the 2nd greatest story ever told. I didn't like the hire at all, let me be clear on that, his story is unbelievable though. I've never ever ever wanted somebody to succeed more than him. I also knew the blow back that would be coming for him, when he failed, which is why I didn't want him to be our coach. Disgusted me how he was treated, and I know I'm in the minority on that one. The guy was a million % Cane.

Advertisement
Man our hires have been bad. Can we just hire a guy who has coached at a P5 school and has a track record of some substance. Basically richt but not retired

Advertisement
Our 2001 team had guys from all over. All over. Why Butch is so revered. I think people forget that. Jersey to Canada to Cali to Louisiana.
He also got the best South Florida players. The two are not mutually exclusive.

If Shannon miraculously would have succeeded, might be the 2nd greatest story ever told. I didn't like the hire at all, let me be clear on that, his story is unbelievable though. I've never ever ever wanted somebody to succeed more than him. I also knew the blow back that would be coming for him, when he failed, which is why I didn't want him to be our coach. Disgusted me how he was treated, and I know I'm in the minority on that one. The guy was a million % Cane.
It hurts to even think about

Randy Shannon was considered a “nice guy”?
I'm not sure where that came from at all. We went from one extreme to the other between Coker and Shannon. People don't know this, Shannon was one of the first to realize Coker wasn't the guy. He saw it crumbling. Saw the country club attitude. Almost all of that was on the offensive side of the ball.

It's a chicken and egg situation. They're not managing players because they're not winning. If they were winning, kids would fall in line. But once the losses come, everyone becomes unruly. You can be a players coach and garner the kids respect if you're winning or have a history of doing so.
These kids seem to still be in line. With all the noise and venom around the program, u can’t tell me they’re unruly.

I spent a decent amount of time with several players, during golden’s last season they still liked the guy.

Advertisement
Back