Understanding the "Enemy:" Florida HC Dan Mullen; Part 1

You work on this is appreciated. One slight correction I would like to make is the following: “Mullen Averaged 7.6 wins and 4.8 losses a year. So, at Mississippi State, he was an average 8-4 coach.”

7.6 wins and 4.8 losses a year results in a rounded average 8-5 coach, not 8-4 coach. You rounded up the wins and rounded down the losses. Doesn’t work that way.
Let's just truncate and say 7-4.

Advertisement
Or, let's just count his P5 record and call him a 3-5 coach.

Part 2 is going to be much shorter. Basically, the point is that Mullen is the most average coach in college football. Florida fans contort themselves in a million ways to show that Mullen is either a very good or borderline "elite" coach. His career trajectory and statistics show that not to be the case. As @DTP said, Mullen also got a lot of his wins against G5 or FCS competition.

This matters for us because it shows that the "coaching advantage" that UF fans are always talking about having doesn't really pan out. Yes, Mullen's coached in 128 games, while Manny has yet to coach one. Manny has to find his footing, but it isn't as if Manny hasn't been a D1 College football coach for the better part of a decade. Mullen's 79-47 record is full of average wins and 1 to 2 upset victories all time. If we're at his team's level (which I believe us to be) or even slightly better we win this game. Mullen struggles against equally talented or slightly better teams. He doesn't overperform. Also, he's terrible with in-game/half time adjustments. If we come out swinging and get on top, his career shows that he's seldom found a way to stop the bleeding.

Thank you for the shorter version but the delusion that is the **** fan is evidenced every hour of every day in **** tears.

Anyone that believes or remotely thinks that a gator fan is anything but delusional and only prone to blowing smoke up their own asses is as delusional as they are.Those fools would figure out a way to turn the careers of Shantard and Loser Al into a Vince Lombardi career.

I think stating most coaches have losing records when down at the half then using that to infer that Mullen is poor at making adjustments is a reach. It remains to be seen whether this team is one of those 8-5 calibers squads you mention or better.

And also, given the fact that Starkville is absolute crap compared to Oxford, MS, I wouldnt base his recruiting prowess on rankings while there tbh. While he obviously hasn’t had success on the level of Meyer or Saban, I don’t think any of what you said proves him to be “average” and points towards a clear W for us when we have no idea what kind of team will show up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back