UNC - Game 3

Advertisement
This team is a 2 possibly 3 seed in a regional. It’s a step in the right direction.

No way this team is a #3, unless we really start slipping up. Still have a good shot to end up a Regional host.

Yes, it's disappointing to drop a series when you win Game 1. But so far we've only lost 2 series, both on the road to teams that are expected to be National seeds. UNC in particular was the #3 preseason team and probably has the best weekend pitchers in the country.

Win the weekday games, win the ACC series we should win (GT, Pitt, VT, UVA, WF, Duke), avoid getting swept in the others, and we'll be a 37-40 win team. With our schedule, that will be good enough to be right on the Regional Host cut line.

Win the weekday games, win the ACC series we should win (GT, Pitt, VT, UVA, WF, Duke), avoid getting swept in the others, and we'll be a 37-40 win team. With our schedule, that will be good enough to be right on the Regional Host cut line.

Conference finish is more important than number of wins. If we go 23-3 OOC and 15-15 in the ACC, we aren't hosting anything. If we go 18-8 OOC and 20-10 in the ACC, we could be a national seed. Both scenarios have a record of 38-18 but they are not the same.

Advertisement
Batting order needs tweaking.

Agree. The #9 hole is a problem. I get Jenkins/Crosbie are good in OF but they cant hit at all. They need to give Rivera a shot or find a way to get Escala in the lineup (maybe Del Castillo to RF, Gil to DH). Quinnones is another option as well.

Vilar also should be moved down in the order. He doesnt make consistent enough contact to be hitting behind Lala. I'd go something like this:

Lala
Del Castillo
Zamora
Toral
Gil
Cloonan
Amditis
Vilar
Escala

Agree. The #9 hole is a problem. I get Jenkins/Crosbie are good in OF but they cant hit at all. They need to give Rivera a shot or find a way to get Escala in the lineup (maybe Del Castillo to RF, Gil to DH). Quinnones is another option as well.

Vilar also should be moved down in the order. He doesnt make consistent enough contact to be hitting behind Lala. I'd go something like this:

Lala
Del Castillo
Zamora
Toral
Gil
Cloonan
Amditis
Vilar
Escala

I like the phrase, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I don't think offense is going to be our problem (we're leading the ACC in BA, 2nd in Slugging, etc), and I believe Gino is looking for an established and consistent lineup for the next 2 - 3 years. Outside of Rivera getting some spot starts against LHP, I doubt we'll see much change.

But it would be nice to see what Escala could do with some starts at 3B & Gil at DH as you suggest (maybe vs LH starters).

Lala
Del Castillo
Zamora
Toral
Gil
Cloonan
Amditis
Vilar
Escala
Looks like they may be trying to do that by having Escala play in the outfield. He played the 7th and 8th innings in RF yesterday. Cook emerging as another lefty option out of the bullpen might also open things up for Gates to get somemore at bats.

Advertisement
Another change I'd make is to move Cecconi to Sunday starter, and start Van Belle on weekdays.

Van Belle is a good pitch to contact starter, and he throws strikes. But his stuff doesnt seem that great, and I think NC St and FSU are going to hit him like UNC did. Vs weaker mid-week teams I think he'd be consistently effective.

Cecconi has shown now that his stuff is electric. Our four most talented pitchers are him, McKendry, McMahon, and Veliz. Any combination of these 3 should be the weekend starters. Veliz makes sense to keep in his current role, so I'd move Cecconi.

I'm sure if you asked the NC St head coach, he'd much rather face Van Belle than Cecconi

Another change I'd make is to move Cecconi to Sunday starter, and start Van Belle on weekdays.

Van Belle is a good pitch to contact starter, and he throws strikes. But his stuff doesnt seem that great, and I think NC St and FSU are going to hit him like UNC did. Vs weaker mid-week teams I think he'd be consistently effective.

Cecconi has shown now that his stuff is electric. Our four most talented pitchers are him, McKendry, McMahon, and Veliz. Any combination of these 3 should be the weekend starters. Veliz makes sense to keep in his current role, so I'd move Cecconi.

I'm sure if you asked the NC St head coach, he'd much rather face Van Belle than Cecconi

If Gino is thinking the same thing, this might be the week to make the switch. Even though we have two mid-week games again, I'd rather have someone new get that first mid-week start vs a 2 - 10 Columbia as opposed to FAU, FGC, etc. (since Van Belle is the Sunday guy and would likely wait 10 days if he changed roles).

Advertisement
Rain tomorrow means we can throw Keysor on Wed and save Slade for Sunday.

Advertisement
Back