UM's Al Golden driven to improve after disappointing 6-7 sea

'
You shouldnt bottom out at 6-7 with 6 NFL draft picks on your team.

At this point in the Butch era bottoming out was 9-4 with 6 NFL picks.

Actully, Davis bottomed out 2 years after the sanctions were known.
NCAA handed down the Pell Grant sanctions before the '95 season and
Davis was 5 - 6 in'97. Golden's sanctions were known mid Oct '13. So,
expect Golden to bottom out next year? Or was it this year. I guess
we gotta wait and see.

Are you really saying this above?

He clearly missed the point.

Advertisement
In the minutes after the Hurricanes ended their season with a loss to South Carolina in the Duck Commander Independence Bowl, Miami coach Al Golden sat in the bowels of Independence Stadium in Shreveport disappointed but determined to find a way to get his 6-7 program back on track.

Once the Hurricanes returned to Coral Gables with just their third losing season since 1980 in the books, Golden says he began the process of looking forward and evaluating every facet of Miami's operations.

And it was during an afternoon jog, when he looked onto the Hurricanes practice field and saw receivers Malcolm Lewis and Rashawn Scott catching balls and working out together on their own, that he says he found even more motivation to find the answers that he hopes will get the Hurricanes moving forward.

"I think that's what the message is in 2015. It's going to be about improvement. It's going to be about this team. . . . I'm motivated by the current team and seeing guys coming through already," Golden said during a phone conversation with Sun Sentinel Wednesday. "Certainly, everybody was disappointed, but we're putting it behind us now and there's a difference between being disappointed and discouraged. The guys are focused now on moving forward and as a coaching staff, we're getting our energy from our guys and we appreciate the way they're working and the way they want to move forward."

For Golden, part of that forward progress has included a lot of introspection. He's spent the better part of the last week in Dallas with offensive coordinator James Coley, observing and studying how the Cowboys are preparing for Sunday's divisional playoff game against the Packers.

Golden's hope is that he and Coley can compare notes and bring back techniques they can implement in Coral Gables, be they drills to help the continued development of freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya, blocking schemes for an offensive line that will lose three veterans or schedule adjustments that will make the Hurricanes more efficient on the practice field.

After four straight losses to end the season, Golden says he knows changes have to be made. He added some of those have already happened, though he declined to share specific details, saying he would prefer to go over those moves with players and staff before publicly commenting on them.

But he says he's not finished with his overall evaluation of the Hurricanes' program and everything from schemes, to personnel, to staff decisions remain under consideration.

"Everything's in play," Golden said simply. "2014 was unacceptable. . . . I think what we don't want to change is our standard. What we don't want to change is our values. We certainly don't want to compromise those. But perhaps the way we get from Point A to Point B is where a lot of the changes need to occur. . . . I'm looking at every aspect of it and I've already gone through the deliberation of a lot of the areas and plotted a new course."

One thing he doesn't want to change? His players' focus.

Golden has always encouraged the Hurricanes to do their best to drown out the noise outside the program, noise that in recent weeks has become deafening. Fans and former players are angry. There's been a stream of negativity on social media and sports talk radio. And with Miami losing the likes of running back Duke Johnson and offensive lineman Ereck Flowers to the draft, along with graduating offensive linemen Jonathan Feliciano and Shane McDermott, linebacker Denzel Perryman and defensive end Anthony Chickillo, most outside the program aren't as optimistic as Golden.

But Golden says the progress of players like Kaaya, the ACC rookie of the year who passed for nearly 3,200 yards; linebacker Darrion Owens; running back Joe Yearby; defensive end Chad Thomas; and the return of formerly suspended defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad have him feeling encouraged.

"I always say a team is reborn every year and that's true and so is your approach. Your approach has to be met with more energy than last year, more excitement," Golden said. "I know the guys are excited. I've been getting a lot of texts and calls and I know for me, spending two days with the Cowboys. . . . I didn't want to wait until April or May to get going. I had this yearning to get right back into it."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-hurricanes/fl-um-al-golden-0108-20150107-story.html

I can't wait to see what changes Golden makes? I can't imagine that he'll make any and this article is a bunch of BULL!!!!

His field trip with Coley, should have included No'D.. The Defense is still the problem, not the Offense... WE scored just under 30 points per game, that should be enough to win games...

"I can't imagine that he'll make any and this article is a bunch of BULL!!!!"

Why not? It was last year. Basically same crap he said at the end of last year.

So the theme for 2015 is improvement....yep this a-hole is going to want a parade for taking the team from 6-6 to 7-5.

losses to the usual suspects
1) GT
2) FSU 5 straight
3) Clemson
4) Nebraska
5) VT
6) UVA
7) Pitt
Then he pounds sand back to jersey and we can start looking for a new coach

He doesn't want them to lose their focus?

This was one of the most unfocused, unmotivated teams I saw last year. They lost it after they went down against FSU. For four games. this coach couldn't get them to regroup and win another game last year. And he doesn't want them to lose that?

Is this guy truly this blind?

Advertisement
All this "improvement" will amount to a 4-8 record at best. Stopped buying this clown's (and this school's) BS a long time ago.

8-5, with five of those wins being against cupcakes?

FAU is so going to kick our asses.

we should have lost maybe 1 game with the schedule and the talent we had. the record is due to the coaching staff and no other excuse

Advertisement
Hopefully pete carroll does get fired and Miami goes after him. Automatically we would win 3more games than with golden

Pete Carroll getting fired? Not a chance.. unless you are referencing the idea of Pete Carrolls son, Brennan, being fired off of our staff. Thats the only Carroll getting fired any time soon.

I HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT THE SCHEME ISN'T THE ISSUE...

I miss the days of it being 3rd and 1 on your own 30, and Jimmy Johnson and crew (& even Erickson) would go for the Touchdown throw!!

Coley showed flashes of this in the first half of the FSU game... But this needs to be our total style of play, on offense and defense!

IT'S THE BALLS IT TAKES TO MAKE THE GUTSY CALLS THAT'S LACKING!!!

we will snap the ball with 1 second left on the play clock next year every play! that we we'll go 7-6 and win/lose by 14-10 scores. the good old penn state way!

say it with me.............

WE ARE!!!!

PENN STATE!!!

WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!!

PENN STATE!!!!!!!!!!

we will snap the ball with 1 second left on the play clock next year every play! that we we'll go 7-6 and win/lose by 14-10 scores. the good old penn state way!

say it with me.............

WE ARE!!!!

PENN STATE!!!

WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!!

PENN STATE!!!!!!!!!!

I just threw up a little bit.

Advertisement
We took the play clock down to 5 or less seconds on every play for the second half of the season.

I feel bad for Coley having to go on these "improvement trips" to Dallas when they're nothing but window dressing. Folden is and always will be a bloated, slow, Big 10 player/coach at heart. All Coley wants is to do some rails and let it rip. Hurry up spread tempo offense is what gets his cafecito boiling.

I believe this to be true too but don't know for sure. That is why I have a hard time judging Coley on his merits as an OC.

Our philosophy on offense is as ridiculous as our Ds. Best athletes in our back yard. NFL RB, TE, WR + a few other weapons. Lets slow it down and shorten games. LOL.

Undefeated next season baby. Al Golden 2020 baby!

Sorry but golden is a bich and his reborn comment is his latest excuse. I've never seen a coach make as many excuses as this clown has. People are reborn when they make changes..not continue to do the same chit that caused failure in the first place.

Advertisement
We took the play clock down to 5 or less seconds on every play for the second half of the season.

I feel bad for Coley having to go on these "improvement trips" to Dallas when they're nothing but window dressing. Folden is and always will be a bloated, slow, Big 10 player/coach at heart. All Coley wants is to do some rails and let it rip. Hurry up spread tempo offense is what gets his cafecito boiling.

I believe this to be true too but don't know for sure. That is why I have a hard time judging Coley on his merits as an OC.

Our philosophy on offense is as ridiculous as our Ds. Best athletes in our back yard. NFL RB, TE, WR + a few other weapons. Lets slow it down and shorten games. LOL.

I feel exactly the same way. Coley may not be a brilliant strategist, but he doesn't seem like he's lacking in testosterone. He seems like a ****y guy who'd be happy to go for blood every time the offense took the field. But he's clearly under orders to hold the ball as long as possible.

So when is he going with Dorito to Seattle to discover how defense works?

I find it interesting Dorito wasn't with him on this trip.

Plus, Golden said he will meet with the staff and the team this
Sunday, 1/11/15, to discuss staff changes and changes to the
Offensive and defensive schemes.

Why are you surprised that Doritos wasn't with him? Golden has made it abundantly clear that Doritos can do no wrong and the reason for all the losses this year rests with the offense and Coley.

U
You shouldnt bottom out at 6-7 with 6 NFL draft picks on your team.

At this point in the Butch era bottoming out was 9-4 with 6 NFL picks.

Actully, Davis bottomed out 2 years after the sanctions were known.
NCAA handed down the Pell Grant sanctions before the '95 season and
Davis was 5 - 6 in'97. Golden's sanctions were known mid Oct '13. So,
expect Golden to bottom out next year? Or was it this year. I guess
we gotta wait and see.

So Butch bottom two years after 30 scholarships we're taken away.
Is your point that Golden should bottom two years after 9 scholarships we're taken away??
Because it seems on scholarship numbers alone is like comparing apples to oranges.

Advertisement
Back