UM V USC - A Recruiting Comparison

redrum234

Recruit
It really baffles me how USC can be in similar state of despair as us and still pull in 2 5* Offensive weapons all while their new OC - all of 3+ weeks old is openly comptemlating leaving for the NFL. Juxtapose that with our situation on defense, where our defensive staff is retained, the architect of said defense is now the head coach, the scheme will not change, and we still lose out on all our top targets defensively. I cannot explain it. I’ve said it in the past, they are a program very similar to us: rich in tradition, national draw, private school in large urban setting, etc, but somehow they still do well recruiting. We, on the other hand seem to be a 2nd tier school in our own backyard - merely feeding on SEC rejects and/or scraps.

Advertisement
It really baffles me how USC can be in similar state of despair as us and still pull in 2 5* Offensive weapons all while their new OC - all of 3+ weeks old is openly comptemlating leaving for the NFL. Juxtapose that with our situation on defense, where our defensive staff is retained, the architect of said defense is now the head coach, the scheme will not change, and we still lose out on all our top targets defensively. I cannot explain it. I’ve said it in the past, they are a program very similar to us: rich in tradition, national draw, private school in large urban setting, etc, but somehow they still do well recruiting. We, on the other hand seem to be a 2nd tier school in our own backyard - merely feeding on SEC rejects and/or scraps.
Ucla and Cal cant compare to FSU and UF. Not to mention miami recruiting territory is SEC land. What other close to home options does a Elite kid from southern California have. USC looking good no matter what

Its because SC is still king in California

Advertisement
USC spends money on recruits, we don't, it's really that simple.

There are more big times school in the dirty south that are 10 times closer to us. No one elite is really competing with USC for 10+ guys a year.

Well they have KK and we have..............Why would any top rated WR want to come here.

And yes I am aware of KK pursuing NFL but those kids havent signed either....

Well they have KK and we have..............Why would any top rated WR want to come here.

And yes I am aware of KK pursuing NFL but those kids havent signed either....

He will be gone by the end of next week.

Advertisement
As a So Cal resident, it’s all usc over here, kids are
embedded at a young age that SC is the glamour
school to go to. The big time SEC schools don’t
really resonate with kids out here...even when they’re bad,
there’s not really a backlash from the public to stay away
And they’ve had miserable coaching for years

Last edited:
It takes Big *** Bags to get a SoCal kid to leave USC

Give a Miami kid a dollar and he is gone.

How do we get the sec to leave florida and recruit cali????? Lol

Advertisement
That SEC pull isnt as strong once it starts passing say Idk New Mexico/Arizona...

But Id watch out with Tua going to Bama and them almost taking the #2 croot from cali under USCs and oregon's nose they might be on notice that Bama is fixing to set up shop and steal their kids too

Plus lets be honest at least USC has was on the PAC 12 recently enough.... we finally claimed our first **** Coastal division championship last year and promptly laid an egg the next year showing we were imposters

Advertisement

I dont understand, why are you baffled, you must not think its real, how many national championship teams you know have Cali boys as their star players. Not to many teams are beating down the doors to sign westcoast star players but teams are breaking their necks to do whatever it takes to get players from Miami, all day everyday.

USC is the west coast school..we are just one of the many south east schools. Kids from Cali dream of wearing that garnet and gold. Kids from Florida dream of going to the hottest team

This guy gets it.

USC is thee school for So Cal. Their territory is **** near ALL of So Cal. It is their dream school, and for many years, they were the only LA football team to root for. USC is to So Cal for football like UCLA is to So Cal for basketball. They don't have much competition, they have long standing football tradition, and when you couple that w/ their alumni connections along w/ it being one of the best academic schools in the nation (top 18), and you have them always landing top kids, regardless.

BUT, they get hit too. Kids from these private schools where they are getting hired hitmen from different parts of So Cal are not as loyal as once before. They are quick to go to Oregon or Washington. The difference between USC and us, however, when we have down years, if there is a crop of 20 top So Cal kids and 20 top So. Fla kids, USC will go about 6-20 in their down years...we will go 0-20.

Location. We have much more competition in-state and from bordering states.

USC, despite their struggles, has also had more recent success.
Unfortunately, that outside competition is eating us up at the moment, and shows no sign of stopping. The $EC piranhas will only increase their feeding frenzy. It’s also worrisome that the BIG10 schools are cleaning up too. It almost seems hopeless

Advertisement
Back