UM trustees discuss Golden

AllAboutDaU

Freshman
As the UM administration stands publicly behind coach Al Golden and his staff, frustration and calls for change grow, behind the scenes, among some Board of Trustee members and donors, some of whom have started to express those views to high-ranking UM officials.

Some feedback from four prominent trustees, who asked that their names not be used:

### All four said Golden is expected to keep his job beyond this season.

Among the reasons: He’s signed through Feb. 1, 2020, and a multi-million dollar buyout would be a major obstacle; athletic director Blake James believes in Golden; there’s a sense of loyalty to Golden for steering UM through the NCAA investigation; and there’s a strong belief that president Donna Shalala would not fire her most visible coach before her May retirement.

“She doesn’t want to leave on a sour note like that,” one of the trustees said. “She’s not going to fire the coach and walk away,” another said. “She’s not going to leave that financial burden on a new president,” another said.

### How much anger is percolating among trustees and donors? “Everybody is very, very upset,” said one trustee. “We would like to see changes.”

Another respected trustee, who advocates defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio’s dismissal, said: “There’s a lot of frustration [among trustees]. And it’s not just with D’Onofrio. There’s also criticism of the defensive backs coach [Paul Williams]. And the criticism is starting to lap over to Golden.”

One trustee said “the donors are unhappy. They’re making noise and the pressure is starting to build on [athletic director] Blake James” to force Golden to make staff changes.

One trustee said he could not envision D’Onofrio being replaced during the season and said James has given no indication whether he would ask Golden to make staff changes after the season. One associate of Golden said that even though they are friends, people should not automatically conclude that Golden would not part ways with D’Onofrio if the problems worsen or persist.

### Could donor and booster pressure force the administration to fire coaches? Two of the trustees said they doubt it.

“One or two donors don’t make a difference, but when you have a lot of them, it’s a problem,” the trustee said, adding he has no indication that it has reached a point of many donors withholding contributions.

### Among the criticisms raised by one trustee: “You expect to see halftime adjustments and the coaches don’t make them. And you don’t see enough development and improvement from enough of our players.”

### Golden still has some trustee supporters.

“The reality is he got handed a bad deal,” said one influential trustee. “I wish people would settle down. He stayed here when he found out we were being investigated. Every coach was recruiting against him during the investigation, and as a result, we don’t have the caliber players we used to. You have to give him a couple more years to fill holes created during probation.”

If a change is eventually made, one trustee said do not look for Butch Davis to get the job. (Former UM player Joaquin Gonzalez said Davis, now with ESPN2, “would take the job in a heartbeat.”)

The trustee said Davis not only angered people with the way he left UM for the Cleveland Browns, but there are serious concerns about his departure from North Carolina under the cloud of an academic misconduct scandal. (Davis wasn’t implicated by the NCAA.)

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...phins-heat-marlins-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

Article from Barry Jackson. Not looking good for us

Advertisement
Don't worry guys, just gotta wait till 2019 to get the holes filled.

**** them.

I cant believe people still think that we dont have talent. We have more talent than anyone in the ACC besides FSU. I feel like someone punched me in the stomach after reading this

Advertisement
Enjoy your club level seats and the view of 60,000 empty seats, you *****!

I cant believe people still think that we dont have talent. We have more talent than anyone in the ACC besides FSU. I feel like someone punched me in the stomach after reading this

It's mind boggling! They can't be this ignorant, can they?

Not all trustees are football fans or sports people. This could be some academic nerd who just knows what he/she's heard from others. Unfortunately, this is the brain trust of our football program. Prepare for extended mediocrity.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Honestly I have no idea. The only thing we could do is boycott the games, it's sad but there's nothing else. In all likelihood Golden will be coaching here next year.

Welp.

Guess we'll remain in the Golden "error" for, at least, the next 2 seasons.

****, ****, ****!!!

Where are Double Penetration and Cane in Heel Country to defend the admin and BOT now. This thing has been rotting from the top down for awhile.

My guess this was the biggest problem... "President Donna Shalala would not fire her most visible coach before her May retirement."

Advertisement
This isn't over by a long shot. It's only going to get worse before it gets better. Fasten your seatbelts everybody. And get those drug prescriptions filled. I just ordered my case of pepto. Should be here before the Noles game.

Saw all the same **** being spewed during Coker and Shannon's final seasons.

Keep the faith. This is a death spiral, and Folden won't survive it.

Advertisement
cv1.jpg

More blow outs are coming. This is not the crescendo, not yet. In any case i don't think its a bad thing to make the new president decide Golden's future. Not to be sexist but i sincerely hope its dude. More likely to be ruthless and interested in Football.

I'm at a loss for words after reading that.

Unfathomable that trustees could possibly be that stupid. If Shalala thinks firing Golden would be a "sour note," tell her to think about how empty that place will be the rest of this season and next. She doesn't want to saddle the new president with the buyout? Bull****. She doesn't want to admit to her mistake in extending his contract. It's like holding on to a losing stock position hoping it will come back instead of admitting you were wrong and selling it.

The school is going to suffer one way or the other - paying a huge buyout (due to the administrations stupid extension) or lower donations and ticket revenue. Pick your poison, *****.

Advertisement
Back