UM Student Housing Renovations

The reason being, is recruiting. The idea is give athletes, particularly football players, posh luxurious accomodations to get them to commit. The NCAA says you can't give better accomodations to athletes than the rest of the student body. So either separate the players from typical students through fees or academics. The top schools are throwing the bank at players and circumventing the NCAA rules.
But my point is not that we shouldn't give athletes priority to be in the new Dorm. My point is that why do we need to exclude other students from it and make it an athlete only dorm? How is that a recruiting benefit that there is a athlete only dorm is my point.

Secondly the new dorm is going to have 1,110 beds. In order to meet the ncaa requirement of not housing majority athletes we would not be able to have over 550 athletes in the dorm. But the fact is we don't even have 500 scholarship athletes in the school in the first place, we have just over like 400, so that literally doesn't even matter. Plus it will still be better to live off campus, at least for football players, because they get a bigger stipend. And even if they wanted to be on campus the UV is still better for football players because its closer to the Hecht and the Athletic Dining hall and no RAs.

so basically, Maybe its just me but I don't see how making the new dorm building exclusively for athletes would be positive at all. Let the frosh and sophomore athletes get first crack at the new dorm, but after that they'll either want to stay in the UV or off campus. it can still be used a major recruiting tool even if it is not a fully athletic dorm. You just tell them this is where you'll live for 2 yrs (itll be a MAJOR improvement over MP, Eaton, or the Frosh dorms. )

Advertisement
But my point is not that we shouldn't give athletes priority to be in the new Dorm. My point is that why do we need to exclude other students from it and make it an athlete only dorm? How is that a recruiting benefit that there is a athlete only dorm is my point.

Secondly the new dorm is going to have 1,110 beds. In order to meet the ncaa requirement of not housing majority athletes we would not be able to have over 550 athletes in the dorm. But the fact is we don't even have 500 scholarship athletes in the school in the first place, we have just over like 400, so that literally doesn't even matter. Plus it will still be better to live off campus, at least for football players, because they get a bigger stipend. And even if they wanted to be on campus the UV is still better for football players because its closer to the Hecht and the Athletic Dining hall and no RAs.

so basically, Maybe its just me but I don't see how making the new dorm building exclusively for athletes would be positive at all. Let the frosh and sophomore athletes get first crack at the new dorm, but after that they'll either want to stay in the UV or off campus. it can still be used a major recruiting tool even if it is not a fully athletic dorm. You just tell them this is where you'll live for 2 yrs (itll be a MAJOR improvement over MP, Eaton, or the Frosh dorms. )

I agree. I'm not sure anyone familiar with the campus would think there is a cost/benefit value to whatever an athlete only dorm (or whatever it is being referred to is).

What matters is making student housing better. This new dorm particularly seems like it will match up with anything our competition offers (and is a HUGE upgrade from M-P), and I think that's what players care about. Besides, I'm pretty sure they'd rather have girls in their dorm than be secluded by themselves.

Giving football players priority in the new housing (and in University Village), is perfectly fine

We flipped by Engineering buildings two weeks ago. Great location on campus, but.... Look like they haven't been touched in 20 years. My middle kid is on a full ride and looking at Miami (obviously) and the Air Force Academy (naturally). We fly him down as soon as he gets his acceptance.

The engineering building is the red headed stepchild of UM... dire need of a re-do. **** when I first got there in 06 it needed a **** re-do...

I agree. I'm not sure anyone familiar with the campus would think there is a cost/benefit value to whatever an athlete only dorm (or whatever it is being referred to is).

What matters is making student housing better. This new dorm particularly seems like it will match up with anything our competition offers (and is a HUGE upgrade from M-P), and I think that's what players care about. Besides, I'm pretty sure they'd rather have girls in their dorm than be secluded by themselves.

Giving football players priority in the new housing (and in University Village), is perfectly fine

I think it's fine too, and it is in the spirit of NCAA regulations. It's also what the University of Miami has done traditionally. Typically giving a full floor or half a floor to players. ie. "Seventh Floor Crew" in Mahoney/Pearson. However, there may be some negative recruiting about "But WE give you a whole building where you can act a fool and not get shut down for noise complaints!"

This is honestly going to be amazing. I doubt this gets finished before 2020 though. I just don't see that happening. And I'm sure the athletes will get first dibs on the new rooms. I doubt this will be for upperclassman though. I'd imagine this is going to have a semi-strong RA presence, so the upperclassman that stick on campus will keep to the UV which is basically a normal apartment complex.

The University Village is great, but Mahoney-Pearson and the Freshman dorms are a **** show. At least the Freshman Dorms due to the layout promote interaction and ****, and everyone kinda embraces the ****iness. But MP is straight trash imo. So these upgrades are needed very badly.

Not sure how old the law school buildings are but the Engineering building definitely needs to be renovated imo. The science/chem building recently got the face lift, and the physics building is pretty new i think.

The 60/68 Towers and M-P were "okay" to live in 40 years ago.
Fast forward to now and my guess your description fits to a "T"

Advertisement
The engineering building is the red headed stepchild of UM... dire need of a re-do. **** when I first got there in 06 it needed a **** re-do...

The School of Architecture used to be in there.
Not shore how old it is , but it's got 50's written all over it.

Advertisement
Back