UM Student Housing Renovations

Advertisement
I see they will be addressing the atrocious parking situation by reducing the amount of lots available. Smart.

This is honestly going to be amazing. I doubt this gets finished before 2020 though. I just don't see that happening. And I'm sure the athletes will get first dibs on the new rooms. I doubt this will be for upperclassman though. I'd imagine this is going to have a semi-strong RA presence, so the upperclassman that stick on campus will keep to the UV which is basically a normal apartment complex.

The University Village is great, but Mahoney-Pearson and the Freshman dorms are a **** show. At least the Freshman Dorms due to the layout promote interaction and ****, and everyone kinda embraces the ****iness. But MP is straight trash imo. So these upgrades are needed very badly.

Not sure how old the law school buildings are but the Engineering building definitely needs to be renovated imo. The science/chem building recently got the face lift, and the physics building is pretty new i think.

Advertisement
This is honestly going to be amazing. I doubt this gets finished before 2020 though. I just don't see that happening. And I'm sure the athletes will get first dibs on the new rooms. I doubt this will be for upperclassman though. I'd imagine this is going to have a semi-strong RA presence, so the upperclassman that stick on campus will keep to the UV which is basically a normal apartment complex.

The University Village is great, but Mahoney-Pearson and the Freshman dorms are a **** show. At least the Freshman Dorms due to the layout promote interaction and ****, and everyone kinda embraces the ****iness. But MP is straight trash imo. So these upgrades are needed very badly.

Not sure how old the law school buildings are but the Engineering building definitely needs to be renovated imo. The science/chem building recently got the face lift, and the physics building is pretty new i think.

We flipped by Engineering buildings two weeks ago. Great location on campus, but.... Look like they haven't been touched in 20 years. My middle kid is on a full ride and looking at Miami (obviously) and the Air Force Academy (naturally). We fly him down as soon as he gets his acceptance.

We flipped by Engineering buildings two weeks ago. Great location on campus, but.... Look like they haven't been touched in 20 years. My middle kid is on a full ride and looking at Miami (obviously) and the Air Force Academy (naturally). We fly him down as soon as he gets his acceptance.
Oh nice. does he know which engineering major?
Yeah the building itself (as in the classrooms and offices) is kinda ******. However the classrooms don't actually matter much considering I only had like 6 classes there all 4 yrs, and 2 of them were ******* english classes. most of the time you spend in the engineering building is in one of the teachers' offices, their lab, or printing **** last minute.
Most of the classes are in the Memorial building or Whitten which are pretty nice - and all the classes are small - under 30 for sure. But yeah it can use a lot of renovations. Given the choice though I'd rather just see the Labs continue to get more funding. Theres actually a lot of engineering **** hidden all over the back of campus (between engineering building and physics building), like our wind tunnel, **** I didn't even know we had one until I used it. All the cool stuff is on the 1st floor.
But it kinda makes sense, the professors couldn't give less of a **** about how the class rooms look or how nice their office is, They rather have their labs get all the money. And as long as you have a good laptop, which might be the most important thing, you wont need to use any of the computers in the building, which are generally not great.

Oh nice. does he know which engineering major?
Yeah the building itself (as in the classrooms and offices) is kinda ******. However the classrooms don't actually matter much considering I only had like 6 classes there all 4 yrs, and 2 of them were ******* english classes. most of the time you spend in the engineering building is in one of the teachers' offices, their lab, or printing **** last minute.
Most of the classes are in the Memorial building or Whitten which are pretty nice - and all the classes are small - under 30 for sure. But yeah it can use a lot of renovations. Given the choice though I'd rather just see the Labs continue to get more funding. Theres actually a lot of engineering **** hidden all over the back of campus (between engineering building and physics building), like our wind tunnel, **** I didn't even know we had one until I used it. All the cool stuff is on the 1st floor.
But it kinda makes sense, the professors couldn't give less of a **** about how the class rooms look or how nice their office is, They rather have their labs get all the money. And as long as you have a good laptop, which might be the most important thing, you wont need to use any of the computers in the building, which are generally not great.

Full Air Force ROTC scholarship. Aeronautical Engineering. Wants to fly fighters. Got an Air Force Academy nomination, too. He will play lacrosse at either school. Obviously, club at Miami. As he said, yeah Stanford, Georgia Tech and the Academy have much better engineering schools, but what's not to like about Miami.

Advertisement
Full Air Force ROTC scholarship. Aeronautical Engineering. Wants to fly fighters. Got an Air Force Academy nomination, too. He will play lacrosse at either school. Obviously, club at Miami. As he said, yeah Stanford, Georgia Tech and the Academy have much better engineering schools, but what's not to like about Miami.

ooh it'd be tough to pass up Stanford imo. Living in Miami is better than the bay area Though I guess it depends what you like to do. If you're a super outdoor person and like to camp and **** Stanford would be better. But yeah **** GTech. Miami would certainly provide the best College experience, and its not even close with between those 4.

I knew a lot of dudes that did ROTC at Miami that were in the Aero program. Theyd always be the first people in the 8am's since it was right after their ROTC ****. the only difference between aero and mech is the senior yr courses basically.

I graduated before they implemented the New Cognate program. But with that program it almost makes it almost impossible/ really stupid to not graduate with a minor. So you might want him to look at what minors are offered. Like instead of being able to take a bunch of different non engineering electives, it basically requires you to take 3 in one discipline and 3 in another out of the 6 electives required to graduate. So if you take an econ elective, you will be required to take 3 econ classes....and i think it takes like 4(or maybe 5) to get the minor. So whatever he chooses to take he should try to get a minor in that subject as itll only take 1 extra class typically, and a subject like econ is pretty easy and barely takes any effort. ...And if he enters frosh yr with a bunch of AP credits that take him out of the basic english/calc/stats/chem classes it makes it super easy to get one or 2 minors or double major or some ****. i think with the amount of math classes we're required to take if he's good at math it'll only take 1 or 2 more math classes to get a minor in math.

ooh it'd be tough to pass up Stanford imo. Living in Miami is better than the bay area Though I guess it depends what you like to do. If you're a super outdoor person and like to camp and **** Stanford would be better. But yeah **** GTech. Miami would certainly provide the best College experience, and its not even close with between those 4.

I knew a lot of dudes that did ROTC at Miami that were in the Aero program. Theyd always be the first people in the 8am's since it was right after their ROTC ****. the only difference between aero and mech is the senior yr courses basically.

I graduated before they implemented the New Cognate program. But with that program it almost makes it almost impossible/ really stupid to not graduate with a minor. So you might want him to look at what minors are offered. Like instead of being able to take a bunch of different non engineering electives, it basically requires you to take 3 in one discipline and 3 in another out of the 6 electives required to graduate. So if you take an econ elective, you will be required to take 3 econ classes....and i think it takes like 4(or maybe 5) to get the minor. So whatever he chooses to take he should try to get a minor in that subject as itll only take 1 extra class typically, and a subject like econ is pretty easy and barely takes any effort. ...And if he enters frosh yr with a bunch of AP credits that take him out of the basic english/calc/stats/chem classes it makes it super easy to get one or 2 minors or double major or some ****. i think with the amount of math classes we're required to take if he's good at math it'll only take 1 or 2 more math classes to get a minor in math.

He goes between Miami and USAFA about every other day. I grew up in Miami and went to USAFA. I think he'll minor in math. He is a **** of a lot smarter than me and will make a better pilot. Better looking, too. *******. BTW, my wife and I flew down for a cruise. That's why we swung by campus. I sat next to Dean of Engineering at FIU. He said it really doesn't matter where he goes. It is all about getting a master's anyway. He said wherever he goes for aero make sure they have a wind tunnel. Being selfish if he ends up at Miami then I'm down there a lot over the next 4 years.

Last edited:
He goes between Miami and USAFA about every other day. I think he'll minor in math. He is a **** of a lot smarter than me and will make a better pilot. Better looking, too. *******. BTW, my wife and I flew down for a cruise. That's why we swung by campus. I sat next to Dean of Engineering at FIU. He said he it really doesn't matter where he goes. It is all about getting a master's anyway. He said wherever he goes for aero make sure they have a wind tunnel.
Oh really, yeah we have a small lil one that's tucked away by the physics building. I used it for my senior design project. But aero student don't have to build a prototype like mech does when they're doing their senior project. I don't think the aero students would really need it until they get to their graduate work where it'll definitely be used alot. My advisor for my project was actually the professor who runs the wind tunnel.

Also idk how/if you can get in with the ROTC, but we have a 5 yr BS/MS program that gets you a masters in aero/mech in 5 yrs instead of the typical 6. I think you apply for the program after sophomore year, but you should see if he could do that and the ROTC. Would be a pretty sweet deal, and another yr in Miami is always fun.

Advertisement
Technically, they can't, but I hear the way around it is to let honor students get some of the dorms in the building.
THEY can't do that... What Auburn did was put the Football players in the new dorm but raised the cost of the new dorm so high that it discouraged the other students... don't think that would work at UM with the long money down there... what's another 2,000 when u are already paying a Brazilian Dollars

Advertisement
THEY can't do that... What Auburn did was put the Football players in the new dorm but raised the cost of the new dorm so high that it discouraged the other students... don't think that would work at UM with the long money down there... what's another 2,000 when u are already paying a Brazilian Dollars
Why would athletes need their own dorms anyways?
I don't see the point in that at all. its not like we have a huge campus where everyone is 20mins away from eachother. The distance from MP to this new building and eaton will be like a 3-5min walk. Secondly its not like we have all that many scholarship athletes or like all the athletes are going to want to be living in the middle of campus.

Honestly I'd still rather live in the UV than the new building. No RA presence, its right across form the Hecht, and you can have 4 personal rooms each with a bathroom with 1 common area and a kitchen...the new dorm isn't going to offer that. The only thing about the UV is you need to be a junior in academic standing (which is basically how they guarantee just about everyone is 21).

Fighters?

fabulous_4_engine.jpg

Yeah, I'm showing my bias...

Why would athletes need their own dorms anyways?
I don't see the point in that at all. its not like we have a huge campus where everyone is 20mins away from eachother. The distance from MP to this new building and eaton will be like a 3-5min walk. Secondly its not like we have all that many scholarship athletes or like all the athletes are going to want to be living in the middle of campus.

Honestly I'd still rather live in the UV than the new building. No RA presence, its right across form the Hecht, and you can have 4 personal rooms each with a bathroom with 1 common area and a kitchen...the new dorm isn't going to offer that. The only thing about the UV is you need to be a junior in academic standing (which is basically how they guarantee just about everyone is 21).

The reason being, is recruiting. The idea is give athletes, particularly football players, posh luxurious accomodations to get them to commit. The NCAA says you can't give better accomodations to athletes than the rest of the student body. So either separate the players from typical students through fees or academics. The top schools are throwing the bank at players and circumventing the NCAA rules.

Advertisement
Back