UM OL commit Smith is set with Canes, will visit for VT game

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 OL Antonio Smith is a rare breed in college football recruiting these days.

The Vanguard High star has been a Miami commit since March and hasn’t wavered on his pledge whatsoever in the months since.

“Everything is going good with Miami, still committed,” Smith said. “I ain’t going anywhere, still love Miami. That’s my team and we’re making it to the national championship soon.”

Since his commitment to UM, Smith has received attention and offers from schools around the country like Oklahoma, Auburn, Michigan State, and Nebraska. However, Smith has shut his recruitment down completely and isn’t considering other programs.

“1,000% Miami,” Smith said. “No more talking to coaches, no visits, no nothing. It’s all about Miami.”

The Hurricanes are off to a slow start in Manny Diaz’s first year as head coach, sitting at 2-2 before getting into the heart of ACC play. Despite some struggles, Smith feels that UM is on a verge of a breakthrough under Diaz.

“I think the team is doing very well. We’re young, so there’s still a lot of teaching and learning to do,” Smith said. “We’re going to get back to blowing teams out soon.”

Miami’s offensive line certainly needs some work, as they are second to last in the country in sacks given up with 18, but Smith is confident that this young line will continue to grow together.

“We’re doing pretty good. We struggled some, but it’s ok, we’re going to be fine,” Smith said of the OL. “We’re going lock things up this year across the line. They are really good, just need a little more time under their belt and they’ll be dominant.”

UM has started 2 true freshmen on the OL this season in Zion Nelson and Jakai Clark, something that Smith believes is attractive to recruits like himself in that the best players will play.

“Yes sir, it is most definitely (attractive). If Miami starts two young freshmen on the OL, that means anyone can come in and start,” Smith said.

While Smith hasn’t visited UM for a game yet this season, he says he’ll be in the stands for when the Canes play Virginia Tech on October 5th. He is also on track to graduate early in December and enroll at Miami in time for spring ball.

In the meantime, Smith is playing out his senior season at Vanguard. At 6-3, Smith says he’s up to 290 pounds now, a gain of 20 pounds over the offseason.

“Senior season is going good. I put on a little bit of good weight and I’m trying to get used to the weight now,” Smith said. “But it’s been going good, a lot of pancakes. I almost got thrown out one game for being too aggressive, but besides that, it’s been all good.”

Vanguard is 2-1 on the season right now, with an upcoming game against Carol City on tap this weekend. Although he is being recruited to play on the interior of the line at Miami, Smith has played both left and right tackle for the Knights this year. As one of the best linemen on his team, Smith said that is where he is most needed.

“I kind of like tackle, but I’m doing what’s best for my team,” Smith said. “I’ll play all positions if you need me to, but I do kind of like it.”

Aside from working for a state championship with his current teammates at Vanguard, Smith has been taking the time to get to know his future teammates at UM. According to Smith, Miami’s 2020 class is closer than ever right now and is ready to make waves in the program.

“We all talk about football and stuff in this little group chat,” Smith said. “We’ll be making jokes and we compete to see who has the most drip and everything like that. Category20, we are looking good, very, very good.”

Advertisement
2020 OL Antonio Smith is a rare breed in college football recruiting these days.

The Vanguard High star has been a Miami commit since March and hasn’t wavered on his pledge whatsoever in the months since.

“Everything is going good with Miami, still committed,” Smith said. “I ain’t going anywhere, still love Miami. That’s my team and we’re making it to the national championship soon.”

Since his commitment to UM, Smith has received attention and offers from schools around the country like Oklahoma, Auburn, Michigan State, and Nebraska. However, Smith has shut his recruitment down completely and isn’t considering other programs.

“1,000% Miami,” Smith said. “No more talking to coaches, no visits, no nothing. It’s all about Miami.”

The Hurricanes are off to a slow start in Manny Diaz’s first year as head coach, sitting at 2-2 before getting into the heart of ACC play. Despite some struggles, Smith feels that UM is on a verge of a breakthrough under Diaz.

“I think the team is doing very well. We’re young, so there’s still a lot of teaching and learning to do,” Smith said. “We’re going to get back to blowing teams out soon.”

Miami’s offensive line certainly needs some work, as they are second to last in the country in sacks given up with 18, but Smith is confident that this young line will continue to grow together.

“We’re doing pretty good. We struggled some, but it’s ok, we’re going to be fine,” Smith said of the OL. “We’re going lock things up this year across the line. They are really good, just need a little more time under their belt and they’ll be dominant.”

UM has started 2 true freshmen on the OL this season in Zion Nelson and Jakai Clark, something that Smith believes is attractive to recruits like himself in that the best players will play.

“Yes sir, it is most definitely (attractive). If Miami starts two young freshmen on the OL, that means anyone can come in and start,” Smith said.

While Smith hasn’t visited UM for a game yet this season, he says he’ll be in the stands for when the Canes play Virginia Tech on October 5th. He is also on track to graduate early in December and enroll at Miami in time for spring ball.

In the meantime, Smith is playing out his senior season at Vanguard. At 6-3, Smith says he’s up to 290 pounds now, a gain of 20 pounds over the offseason.

“Senior season is going good. I put on a little bit of good weight and I’m trying to get used to the weight now,” Smith said. “But it’s been going good, a lot of pancakes. I almost got thrown out one game for being too aggressive, but besides that, it’s been all good.”

Vanguard is 2-1 on the season right now, with an upcoming game against Carol City on tap this weekend. Although he is being recruited to play on the interior of the line at Miami, Smith has played both left and right tackle for the Knights this year. As one of the best linemen on his team, Smith said that is where he is most needed.

“I kind of like tackle, but I’m doing what’s best for my team,” Smith said. “I’ll play all positions if you need me to, but I do kind of like it.”

Aside from working for a state championship with his current teammates at Vanguard, Smith has been taking the time to get to know his future teammates at UM. According to Smith, Miami’s 2020 class is closer than ever right now and is ready to make waves in the program.

“We all talk about football and stuff in this little group chat,” Smith said. “We’ll be making jokes and we compete to see who has the most drip and everything like that. Category20, we are looking good, very, very good.”

He is also an EE and will benefit from the S&C and practice for 7-8 months.

Advertisement
We need those MidWest boys to start coming down to Florida... I don’t know how Iowa and Wisconsin do that

We’ve had Midwest boys come here. Dysktra is from Iowa, we got Harland Gunn from Nebraska. Never amounted to much.

What we need is another Stoutland level OL coach who can identify/recruit/develop. Hopefully Barry becomes that guy.

We’ve had Midwest boys come here. Dysktra is from Iowa, we got Harland Gunn from Nebraska. Never amounted to much.

What we need is another Stoutland level OL coach who can identify/recruit/develop. Hopefully Barry becomes that guy.
Dykstra wasn’t impressive at all to be honest but guys here got excited over some videos of him doing anaerobic exercises with a yoga ball. Not to mention, Iowa and Iowa St didn’t recruit him.
Pathetic.

Advertisement

apparently we got the wrong boys. Becausethe ones Iowa, and Wisconsin get every year turn out to be studs

apparently we got the wrong boys. Becausethe ones Iowa, and Wisconsin get every year turn out to be studs

Yeah that’s obvious. But scouting HS OL is not an easy task.

FSU signs 4 or 5 star OL year in year out. Still got one of the worst OL in the country.

Texas went like 12 years without having an OL drafted in the NFL.

While ole Bert was signing 2stars and turning into high draft picks at Arkansas

Advertisement
Iowa and Wisconsin have tradition and track records of nfl success with their o lines so it's an easy sell, kinda like with TE's and coming to the U.
Pretty sure I saw a recent post that we have had more OL drafted the past 20 or so years than Wisky?? or that we have more OL in the League..something like that. Couldn't believe it myself , maybe I saw it on Twitter.

Pretty sure I saw a recent post that we have had more OL drafted the past 20 or so years than Wisky?? or that we have more OL in the League..something like that. Couldn't believe it myself , maybe I saw it on Twitter.
It's possible we have more ending up in the league as undrafted free agents but I'm not sure UM lineman are making a bigger impact than Wisky lineman.

Ocala (Fla.) Vanguard High School OL Antonio Smith committed to Miami at a junior day event back in March.

He was an underrated lineman without a lot of big name offers - he currently lists five offers along with Miami: UCF, FAU, Colorado State and FIU.

Smith has yet to set up any official visits, and he says he hasn’t talked with Hurricane coaches since last month.

He’s reached out and is waiting to hear back.

So will he stick in the class? To be determined. Smith says he’s exploring backup plans, and he also says he has some academic work to do to be qualified.

“I’m confident I'll get my academics sorted out, I just need a little on my test score,” he said.

Advertisement
???? Back in September..." Smith has received attention and offers from schools around the country like Oklahoma, Auburn, Michigan State, and Nebraska. "

And now is... "he currently lists five offers along with Miami: UCF, FAU, Colorado State and FIU. "

WTF?!

Advertisement
Back