UM offers 2022 LB Devon Jackson

Advertisement
Preach! I forgot who it was that said we should just take Ibieta and a project at WR for this class. That's redundancy at its finest and is how we get stuck with players like 8 getting snaps in '22 because he stays an extra year. You're supposed to be getting dudes who can take someone else's job, not sit for 2+ years.
It depends what you mean as a "project". If it's a jag that you take solely for depth, I agree.

But projects to me means someone who's not ready year one or two, someone you can develop and can help the program in a meaningful way. Even if a prospect doesn't check all the boxes (otherwise they'd be high 4*s or 5s), it's not necessarily an issue if you've identified some traits you can work with. It's problematic if they're in a critical area where you need immediate help, or if you load up a position group with all projects.

It depends what you mean as a "project". If it's a jag that you take solely for depth, I agree.

But projects to me means someone who's not ready year one or two, someone you can develop and can help the program in a meaningful way. Even if a prospect doesn't check all the boxes (otherwise they'd be high 4*s or 5s), it's not necessarily an issue if you've identified some traits you can work with. It's problematic if they're in a critical area where you need immediate help, or if you load up a position group with all projects.
There's a big difference between a "project" and just taking a jag who will never play to have depth. Your definition is pretty spot on. A project kid is someone who might not have every trait you're looking for, or maybe has very limited experience and will need some time to develop before he can make an impact. We take them every year at different positions. Greg Rousseau was a project. Zion Nelson was a project. Jabari Ishmael would be a project. I would much rather the staff sign a few under the radar, high-upside guys than spin their wheels chasing 5 star recruits who have made it obvious they're not interested. Obviously, you want to go after the big fish first but you have to know when to cut bait sometimes too.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Medlock isn't an elite athlete but he was surprisingly solid in coverage in his highlights, even had a couple nice INT's. His coverage ability plus his instincts & ability to navigate thru traffic well makes him a take. Texas kids always seem well prepared, well coached.
Yeah he isn’t a stud athlete

Medlock isn't an elite athlete but he was surprisingly solid in coverage in his highlights, even had a couple nice INT's. His coverage ability plus his instincts & ability to navigate thru traffic well makes him a take. Texas kids always seem well prepared, well coached.

What is a good comp for him. Please dont say Flagg.

Advertisement
What is a good comp for him. Please dont say Flagg.
tumblr_pd22zq7VW31svlqpoo8_400.gifv

Advertisement
They are making some changes to the defense. I would not be surprised to see more “DBs” on the field then before. We have plenty of those guys that can play in the box
We have a D full of "positionless" players. If we get just one of the DE's to pop, this will be Manny's best defense at The U.

Advertisement
Back