UM offers 2022 CB Jaheim Singletary

The idea that some player was ranked 2 or 3 stats two decades or more ago and would be ranked 2 or 3 star today is asinine.

While the rankings aren't perfect, there's no way a lot of our past greats wouldn't have been ranked higher with all the visibility there is today. Think Reed doesn't go to camps and get a lot of attention? Taylor? They would show out then their film would be everywhere online with highlights etc.

Good thing it was the way it was or likely they wouldn't have been here.

Advertisement
The idea that some player was ranked 2 or 3 stats two decades or more ago and would be ranked 2 or 3 star today is asinine.

While the rankings aren't perfect, there's no way a lot of our past greats wouldn't have been ranked higher with all the visibility there is today. Think Reed doesn't go to camps and get a lot of attention? Taylor? They would show out then their film would be everywhere online with highlights etc.

Good thing it was the way it was or likely they wouldn't have been here.
Facts I have been saying this forever. U ain't hiding a Reed or Lewis or Seal Taylor in today's world.

These comparisons are not based in reality and the level of "service"/"visibility" from the industry at large was non-existent compared to how it is now.

Social media literally did not exist.
No one is disputing that. Butch and then were the greatest identifiers of talent and uncovered gems, and those guys in 2021 very well may have been 4 or 5 stars. But the fact is they were not in 1996-2000. I think it makes it even more impressive that they were able to find those guys and develop them. It’s apples and oranges.

No one is disputing that. Butch and then were the greatest identifiers of talent and uncovered gems, and those guys in 2021 very well may have been 4 or 5 stars. But the fact is they were not in 1996-2000. I think it makes it even more impressive that they were able to find those guys and develop them. It’s apples and oranges.

People are saying this current crop on paper is the best one we have (or may lets assume positively) ever signed.

You are arguing that Butch found and developed talent the best.

These are two totally different discussions. You are correct and so are people saying this is the best on paper at this time (we may add more and frankly will based on all the circumstantial evidence).

Really nothing more than Cane on Cane crime.

Advertisement
People are saying this current crop on paper is the best one we have (or may lets assume positively) ever signed.

You are arguing that Butch found and developed talent the best.

These are two totally different discussions. You are correct and so are people saying this is the best on paper at this time (we may add more and frankly will based on all the circumstantial evidence).

Really nothing more than Cane on Cane crime.
I understand all of that. I think you’re missing the entire point of what I am saying, why I am saying it, and where the root of the issue lies.

I understand all of that. I think you’re missing the entire point of what I am saying, why I am saying it, and where the root of the issue lies.

Congrats you labeled the greatest ever era of modern day canes football the greatest.

Man landed on the moon

lol

I've got your Boomer hanging just below my waste....I knew it was just a matter of time for your sorry *** to enter the fray....

Congrats! You didn't post about Butch while you were insulting me! The therapy is working!! Kinda.

fail old man GIF

Advertisement
Congrats you labeled the greatest ever era of modern day canes football the greatest.

Man landed on the moon

lol
Let me walk it through for you since your reading comp isn’t all there. People said this is/could be our greatest DB recruiting class on paper. I agreed. Everyone’s favorite Butch fluffed offered his opinion that the guys from 97-00 were the best DB recruiting classes because when they were finished and in the pros they were all Americans, all pros, HOFers. I explained that they were 2-3 star recruits that Butch found, and although they wound up the best, on their respective signing days, that was not the case. Hence, it is apples and oranges.

Let me walk it through for you since your reading comp isn’t all there. People said this is/could be our greatest DB recruiting class on paper. I agreed. Everyone’s favorite Butch fluffed offered his opinion that the guys from 97-00 were the best DB recruiting classes because when they were finished and in the pros they were all Americans, all pros, HOFers. I explained that they were 2-3 star recruits that Butch found, and although they wound up the best, on their respective signing days, that was not the case. Hence, it is apples and oranges.

Absolutely. Apples to apples a lot of the Butch guys were lightly recruited and were easy pulls. His evaluations were outstanding. It was also nice that there were quite a few future NFL all-pros that came out of Dade during his rebuild. A lot of tailwinds.

Absolutely. Apples to apples a lot of the Butch guys were lightly recruited and were easy pulls. His evaluations were outstanding. It was also nice that there were quite a few future NFL all-pros that came out of Dade during his rebuild. A lot of tailwinds.
Yep … totally different circumstances back then with less film, no social media, smaller recruiting industry. Way more guys to slip through the cracks but whatever it was, you still had to look in those cracks and other coaches either weren’t or just missed em. Incredible how it always has to turn into this.

Thanks for sharing.

We're on the same page. It is an argument over nothing.

Advertisement
Honestly, i know everyone is creaming over Trob's recruiting right now, but i'm gonna be a contrarian and say that he hasnt proven anything yet.

Let's see what happens if Georgia really turn up the *****$ on Singletary. Can Trob overcome the house advantage that has handicapped Miami's recruiting for years? Can he still win at a school where the deck is stacked against him?

And to be fair, i wouldnt even blame him if we lost out on Singletary in the end. How many big time recruiters have come through this program over the past decade, only to get their asses handed to them when the good ol Southern boys come calling with their blank checks?
Lmao bruh what

Advertisement
You just proved the exact point everyone is making. Butch took 2 or 3 star kids and developed them. Yes recruiting was different, but those guys were not 4 and 5 star recruits. Kudos to Butch, your cousin, and the staff for finding them and coaching them up, but they weren’t heavily recruited guys that they had to beat the top teams to get.

Allow me to make a very simple point. There were no 2/3 star kids or 4/5 star kids back then, because there was no formal recruiting service that gave those rankings. There may have been one local writer somewhere who attempted it, but the player bios back then said "Parade All-American" or "First Team All County". I understand your point about "heavily recruited" though, and there is some merit to that. But all of our "2021 perceptions" about 1990s era recruits is just projection, there actually were no rankings back then.

I think one thing that has changed, over time, is that the SIZE of the "heavily recruited" group has grown. In the 80s and 90s, the "Parade All-Americans" were heavily recruited, or Texas schools would fight over Texas kids, but there were a lot of kids WHO BY TODAY'S RANKING STANDARDS would probably get low 4-star or high 3-star ratings, but who would not get a pile of recruiting letters. And schools that thought they had found a diamond in the rough would try to keep those kids a "secret". In today's world, those same diamonds would probably post their offer letters, and the websites would report it and upload highlight videos, and the next thing you know some formerly lightly-recruited kid from Tinytown USA would be getting offers from Alabama and Clemson and Ohio Taint.

****, you can even see modern day comparative situations. There was a recent article about how the Milwaukee Bucks were able to get a workout with Giannis and were blown away, but they tried to keep everything quiet so that he could fall to their spot in the draft. In this modern age, it's amazing that can still happen, but I think it is a much more rare fluke today.

The reason why I don't "discount" Butch's recruiting has nothing to do with whether we "beat the top teams to get those guys", but because Butch had to recruit those kids to Miami "against Miami's reputation", so to speak. We were on probation, we had scholarship sanctions, most of Butch's assistants were not very well-known, we had "crappy facilities" (or so the other schools told everyone), we played in a crappy conference, etc. etc. etc. And while Butch might not have had to recruit those kids away from other top programs, he still had to convince them to come to a Miami that was being dirty-recruited by every other program in the country. Never forget how Chucky Amato sent newspaper clippings about the Marlin Barnes murder to Lavar Arrington.

I do agree that this current DB recruiting class has a lot of accolades that pre-internet recruiting classes did not have. Talent comparisons? Who knows. Coaching development? Yet to be seen. But it's a great start.

Advertisement
Back