UM Men's Basketball Team in-state recruiting

King of Allapattah

LET'S GO CANES!!!
Premium
It's disappointing to turn on the television and see #20 ranked fsu having success with 4 players from South FL in their starting 5. In total they have 7 kids from Florida, while UM has 0 players from South Florida and just 1 in-state player who transferred from Michigan to Montverde for his senior year. Makes no sense. If you're going to go out of state for players at the very least be a top 25 team.

Then they wonder why they don't get the same kind of support other basketball programs from around the country recieve. It's tough to support a local program when they don't do a good job of recruiting local or in-state players. Unfortunately, the word is out and there are plenty of HS coaches in South FL who are fed up with the constant disregard for their programs and players.

As a lifelong Canes fan, I hope Coach L and staff remedy this with the next few classes. I'm not sure how much longer I can be supportive of a staff that doesn't value our local kids.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Northeast is to basketball is what the southeast is to football. I'm ok with our approach.
That's no longer the case. We're a long ways from the days of New York being the mecca for HS basketball. The northeast still produces great players, but it is not the basketball hotbed it once was. The rest of the country has caught up and in some instances has overtaken the NYC stronghold. Texas, California, Georgia, Illinois and even Florida produce as good and in some years better than what comes out of the Empire State.

But for argument's sake let's say you're right, it wouldn't be that big of an issue to recruit up there if we were getting blue chippers but we're not. For the talent we're pulling in from out of state we can do the same thing with Florida kids.

In Florida's 2020 class, there were 19 kids who signed with P5 conference teams. 10 players were ranked in the top 100 nationally. Yet, none of those players signed with Miami. In Florida's 2019 class, there were 20 who signed with P5 conference teams and 13 of them were ranked in the top 100 nationally. We got 1 from that class. In the 2018 class, there were 23 prospects who signed with P5 schools and 10 were ranked in the top 100 nationally. Yet we couldn't get a single one to commit to Miami.

Coach L and staff are big timing the local HS programs and their prospects. They usually don't start recruiting FL kids until other P5 schools are offering them scholarships. And in some instances they don't even bother recruiting the kids. You'd think Coach L and staff would be smart to recruit FL in hopes of making in-roads with the HS coaches

I came across this the other day, and as a Canes fan I found it to be pretty embarrassing. This is a list of the D1 schools in Florida and the amount of in-state players on their rosters.

FAMU - 13 players on roster from Florida
UCF - 12 players
North Florida - 9 players
FGCU - 9 players
Bethune Cookman - 8 players
FIU - 7 players
FAU - 7 players
FSU - 7 players
Stetson - 5 players
USF - 5 players
UF - 4 players
Jacksonville - 1 player
Miami - 0

I feel like Joel Berry put a bad taste in this staff’s mouth. We pretty much ignore the state of Florida which is unbelievable given the elite travel programs we have in the state. Doesn’t make any sense to me

Advertisement
That's no longer the case. We're a long ways from the days of New York being the mecca for HS basketball. The northeast still produces great players, but it is not the basketball hotbed it once was. The rest of the country has caught up and in some instances has overtaken the NYC stronghold. Texas, California, Georgia, Illinois and even Florida produce as good and in some years better than what comes out of the Empire State.

But for argument's sake let's say you're right, it wouldn't be that big of an issue to recruit up there if we were getting blue chippers but we're not. For the talent we're pulling in from out of state we can do the same thing with Florida kids.

In Florida's 2020 class, there were 19 kids who signed with P5 conference teams. 10 players were ranked in the top 100 nationally. Yet, none of those players signed with Miami. In Florida's 2019 class, there were 20 who signed with P5 conference teams and 13 of them were ranked in the top 100 nationally. We got 1 from that class. In the 2018 class, there were 23 prospects who signed with P5 schools and 10 were ranked in the top 100 nationally. Yet we couldn't get a single one to commit to Miami.

Coach L and staff are big timing the local HS programs and their prospects. They usually don't start recruiting FL kids until other P5 schools are offering them scholarships. And in some instances they don't even bother recruiting the kids. You'd think Coach L and staff would be smart to recruit FL in hopes of making in-roads with the HS coaches

I came across this the other day, and as a Canes fan I found it to be pretty embarrassing. This is a list of the D1 schools in Florida and the amount of in-state players on their rosters.

UCF - 12 players
FGCU - 9 players
FIU - 7 players
FAU - 7 players
FSU - 7 players
Stetson - 5 players
USF - 5 players
UF - 4 players
Jacksonville - 1 player
Miami - 0
One weakness in doing the analysis this way, but by no means minimizing the fact that Miami is at the bottom, is smaller non P5 schools in almost every state rely on the local supply of players. It would be interesting to see which non Florida schools got Florida's blue chip graduate.

UCF - 12 players
FGCU - 9 players
FIU - 7 players
FAU - 7 players
FSU - 7 players
Stetson - 5 players
USF - 5 players
UF - 4 players
Jacksonville - 1 player
Miami - 0
I agree, they aren't like they used to be. Still they produce bigtime & that's clearly our approach.

There are so many spots on a basketball roster and unlike with football, kids have absolutely zero loyalty to local programs. We recruit hard in the Northeast and DMV and frankly, I see zero issues with that approach.

As a lifelong Canes fan, I hope Coach L and staff remedy this with the next few classes. I'm not sure how much longer I can be supportive of a staff that doesn't value our local kids.
I love seeing local kids stay home but ultimately I don't care its all about winning and supporting the canes regardless of where the players played high school ball.

We are lucky to have our coach and he has done a great job. Did you mean "lifelong fair weather fan"?

Can I recommend Barry University to you? Nova Southeastern?

Advertisement
I love seeing local kids stay home but ultimately I don't care its all about winning and supporting the canes regardless of where the players played high school ball.

We are lucky to have our coach and he has done a great job. Did you mean "lifelong fair weather fan"?

Can I recommend Barry University to you? Nova Southeastern?
Fair weather? Now, that's funny! :ROFLMAO:

Listen, I've been a fan since the days of Dennis Burns, Eric Brown and Kevin Presto. I wasn't alive when Rick Barry was around or I'd have been a fan since then. I love the Canes. To the core, but this coaching staff has been big timing local high schools far too long and it's starting to deteriorate what little relationships there were between the staff and the HS coaches. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it's idiotic to go out of state when you got talent right in your own backyard.

Fair weather? Now, that's funny! :ROFLMAO:

Listen, I've been a fan since the days of Dennis Burns, Eric Brown and Kevin Presto. I wasn't alive when Rick Barry was around or I'd have been a fan since then. I love the Canes. To the core, but this coaching staff has been big timing local high schools far too long and it's starting to deteriorate what little relationships there were between the staff and the HS coaches. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it's idiotic to go out of state when you got talent right in your own backyard.
This is year to get it going with the massive dead period.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

FSU doesn't have four players from south florida in their starting 5. they don't even have four players from south florida on their team.

Raiquan Gray (Dillard), Scottie Barnes (Newman 9th, University 10-11th, Montverde 12th grade), Balsa Koprivica (University 8th-10th, Montverde 11-12th grade), and Anthony Polite (St. Andrew's) are all starters and products of South Florida basketball.

Advertisement
I feel like Joel Berry put a bad taste in this staff’s mouth. We pretty much ignore the state of Florida which is unbelievable given the elite travel programs we have in the state. Doesn’t make any sense to me
I hear you but that can't be a reason. Sounds like a cheap excuse if that's what they're saying. This coaching staff has got to do a better job of laying the ground work early with in-state recruits. Far too many times they come in at the 11th hour and expect to sign kids off sheer name alone. Doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
Raiquan Gray (Dillard), Scottie Barnes (Newman 9th, University 10-11th, Montverde 12th grade), Balsa Koprivica (University 8th-10th, Montverde 11-12th grade), and Anthony Polite (St. Andrew's) are all starters and products of South Florida basketball.

They recruited Scottie as hard as anybody, Balsa had the baggage with the FBI investigation, and Polite they went after but he is a FSU legacy

One weakness in doing the analysis this way, but by no means minimizing the fact that Miami is at the bottom, is smaller non P5 schools in almost every state rely on the local supply of players. It would be interesting to see which non Florida schools got Florida's blue chip graduate.
I don't think any one school is building a pipeline for players. Blue bloods will usually have their shot at All-Americans, but I think fsu has shown that in-state schools can get first dibs on local talent if they do it right. Coach L was able to keep Dewan home. Don't understand why it can't happen more frequently.

Advertisement

UCF - 12 players
FGCU - 9 players
FIU - 7 players
FAU - 7 players
FSU - 7 players
Stetson - 5 players
USF - 5 players
UF - 4 players
Jacksonville - 1 player
Miami - 0
This is not going to get it done. Embarrassing indeed.

They recruited Scottie as hard as anybody, Balsa had the baggage with the FBI investigation, and Polite they went after but he is a FSU legacy
Agreed. I just used fsu as an example to show that you can win with in-state kids. There are a lot of kids playing around the country who would've helped Miami, but this coaching staff chose to go another route.

I've said it before IF Coach L is serious about recruiting in FL than he can start by putting someone on staff who has local ties. Recruit kids early. Build relationships.

The 2023 class in Florida is absolutely loaded with talent, many already with high major Division I offers. I wonder how many kids has Miami offered?

montverde is not in south florida....

kids who jump schools like that are not products of a city, the idea that they can be kept "home" (from orlando?) doesn't really make sense. aside from being a legacy, polite grew up outside of the USA, as did koprivica. considering them "in state" talent is a stretch, let alone "local."

Last edited:
montverde is not in south florida....

kids who jump schools like that are not products of a city, the idea that they can be kept "home" (from orlando?) doesn't really make sense. aside from being a legacy, polite grew up outside of the USA, as did koprivica. considering them "in state" talent is a stretch, let alone "local."
Scottie was born and raised in South Florida. He went to Montverde for his senior year. If he's not considered local or in-state, I don't know what to tell ya. And although Montverde isn't in tri-county area, it's still in Florida and any way you look at it this staff has done a poor job recruiting the state and south Florida.

I could be mistaken but I believe Balsa wasn't even a teenager when he arrived in South FL. He was 12, I think. He was all prospect when he arrived and was developed here. I agree, Polite as far as being a legacy. Listen, I'm not at all saying Miami could've or should've signed the guys at fsu. What I'm saying is that fsu is proving you can have success with in-state kids. This notion that Miami should only get players from out of state in order to have success as a program is antiquated. If the talent here in Florida is good enough for Calipari and Coach K, then surely it should be good enough for Coach L. Juwan Howard in only his second year at Michigan is about to sign the top 2 players from Florida's 2021 class. Both ranked top 20 nationally.

There's a long list of players that based on your definition would classify as "products of South FL" who signed with P5 schools that Miami for reasons unbeknownst to any of us couldn't sign. And if you add the kids from the I-4 corridor down that number climbs drastically.

Call it what you want, but the bottom line is this staff isn't getting the job done with in-state recruits. Far too many kids are signing with other ACC, SEC, Pac-10, etc. schools and not with us. It's embarrassing that we don't have a single player on the roster from the state of Florida. Not 1.

Advertisement
Back