UM Men's Basketball Team in-state recruiting

Fair weather? Now, that's funny! :ROFLMAO:

Listen, I've been a fan since the days of Dennis Burns, Eric Brown and Kevin Presto. I wasn't alive when Rick Barry was around or I'd have been a fan since then. I love the Canes. To the core, but this coaching staff has been big timing local high schools far too long and it's starting to deteriorate what little relationships there were between the staff and the HS coaches. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it's idiotic to go out of state when you got talent right in your own backyard.
If a player is good enough for the U there is no doubt they are going after him. We also had the garbage crap the NCAA did to us.

You also can't force a kid to go to his hometown school. We could kidnap them perhaps but unless you are a big time canes fan as a kid you don't grow up dreaming of playing basketball at Miami...A national championship or two would maybe change that.

Fair weather? I am not the one who said perhaps they can't support them I believe it was the "King". I know you are frustrated so I am sure you just didn't mean what you wrote.

Advertisement
If a player is good enough for the U there is no doubt they are going after him. We also had the garbage crap the NCAA did to us.

You also can't force a kid to go to his hometown school. We could kidnap them perhaps but unless you are a big time canes fan as a kid you don't grow up dreaming of playing basketball at Miami...A national championship or two would maybe change that.

Fair weather? I am not the one who said perhaps they can't support them I believe it was the "King". I know you are frustrated so I am sure you just didn't mean what you wrote.
That's part of the frustration with this coaching staff, they're not going after a lot of the top players. I can't speak on every top prospect from Florida, but I can attest that there are far too many who Miami either didn't offer or offered them at the last hour. Every night this week there were Florida kids playing on ESPN that could've been helping the U. Why did Zach Johnson (Norland HS) have to go to FGCU and blow up there before Coach L offered him an opportunity to play for the hometown team? Why didn't Miami get on him out of HS? I know for a fact his HS coaches told Miami they'd be able to sign him if they offered. Problem is Miami never even recruited him, let alone offer.

By the way, top prospects aren't necessarily signing with schools that win. They want to go somewhere that'll prepare them and give them the best opportunity to get to the league.

Last edited:
Scottie was born and raised in South Florida. He went to Montverde for his senior year. If he's not considered local or in-state, I don't know what to tell ya. And although Montverde isn't in tri-county area, it's still in Florida and any way you look at it this staff has done a poor job recruiting the state and south Florida.

I could be mistaken but I believe Balsa wasn't even a teenager when he arrived in South FL. He was 12, I think. He was all prospect when he arrived and was developed here. I agree, Polite as far as being a legacy. Listen, I'm not at all saying Miami could've or should've signed the guys at fsu. What I'm saying is that fsu is proving you can have success with in-state kids. This notion that Miami should only get players from out of state in order to have success as a program is antiquated. If the talent here in Florida is good enough for Calipari and Coach K, then surely it should be good enough for Coach L. Juwan Howard in only his second year at Michigan is about to sign the top 2 players from Florida's 2021 class. Both ranked top 20 nationally.

There's a long list of players that based on your definition would classify as "products of South FL" who signed with P5 schools that Miami for reasons unbeknownst to any of us couldn't sign. And if you add the kids from the I-4 corridor down that number climbs drastically.

Call it what you want, but the bottom line is this staff isn't getting the job done with in-state recruits. Far too many kids are signing with other ACC, SEC, Pac-10, etc. schools and not with us. It's embarrassing that we don't have a single player on the roster from the state of Florida. Not 1.
i mean, those kids committed to michigan are at IMG and monteverde. those are pro incubators that happen to be in florida... the idea that in state schools (let alone miami) should have some advantage in recruiting them is ignorant of the obvious context surrounding those situations. caleb houstan is from canada, perhaps that's why he chose to go to a school in michigan as opposed to one in miami.

i think it's fine to talk about how well miami recruits kids actually born and raised in south florida and who stay there for high school. scottie barnes is a fine example, we lost that one, so it goes. but the number of truly impact college basketball players from south florida remains pretty limited. judging how we recruit monteverde is ridiculous.

L is w/o much argument the best recruiter in the history of the school. he has his obvious pipelines and recruits them pretty well. whether the kids come from philadelphia or orlando is pretty immaterial to me -- college basketball is not a sport built on local recruiting. you said you might stop supporting the team bcuz of where the players come from, that's just absurd.

the criticism i have of L's team building recently is w/ roster balance. it's been a few years now since we've had an impact big man, and it's clearly been holding the team back. the guy can recruit guards, does pretty well w/ wings, and finds shooters in random places. i like that we play a modern style -- smaller, pick and rolls, drive and kick, shooters etc. we still need to find better bigs.

but go scroll the 247 rankings for florida in the last two or three classes and find me a high level big man from south of orlando. cuz vernon carey aside they don't exist.

i mean, those kids committed to michigan are at IMG and monteverde. those are pro incubators that happen to be in florida... the idea that in state schools (let alone miami) should have some advantage in recruiting them is ignorant of the obvious context surrounding those situations. caleb houstan is from canada, perhaps that's why he chose to go to a school in michigan as opposed to one in miami.

i think it's fine to talk about how well miami recruits kids actually born and raised in south florida and who stay there for high school. scottie barnes is a fine example, we lost that one, so it goes. but the number of truly impact college basketball players from south florida remains pretty limited. judging how we recruit monteverde is ridiculous.

L is w/o much argument the best recruiter in the history of the school. he has his obvious pipelines and recruits them pretty well. whether the kids come from philadelphia or orlando is pretty immaterial to me -- college basketball is not a sport built on local recruiting. you said you might stop supporting the team bcuz of where the players come from, that's just absurd.
IMG and Montverde are "pro incubators that happen to be in FL" but a 2nd year coach at Michigan comes down here and signs their 2 top prospects who happen to be top 20 players nationally? That don't make much sense to me. Perhaps, just perhaps Miami's staff needs to do a better job of recruiting Florida. And it's not only Montverde and IMG. What about Josh Minott from Boca. What's the excuse for letting Penny come down here and take him to Memphis? Or Dudley Blackwell getting snatched up by Iowa State? Devin Carter is prepping at Brewster for his 5th year then he's headed to South Carolina and Miami never even tried to recruit that kid. Anfernee Simons is in the NBA. He was supposed to go to Louisville, but instead went straight to the league after playing his 5th year at IMG. Can you believe Miami didn't start recruiting him until his senior year of HS? Stories like this have happened far too often and it's time that we stop making excuses for this staff as to why they struggle in the state.

Last edited:
Advertisement
the criticism i have of L's team building recently is w/ roster balance. it's been a few years now since we've had an impact big man, and it's clearly been holding the team back. the guy can recruit guards, does pretty well w/ wings, and finds shooters in random places. i like that we play a modern style -- smaller, pick and rolls, drive and kick, shooters etc. we still need to find better bigs.

but go scroll the 247 rankings for florida in the last two or three classes and find me a high level big man from south of orlando. cuz vernon carey aside they don't exist.
I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not at all saying Miami shouldn't work their connections up north. Milk that cow dry. All I'm saying is if you're going up there for 3 & 4-star caliber prospects why not give the kids down here their shot as well? Why aren't our kids good enough for an offer from Miami but good enough for other P5 schools?

This is not the reason Miami has not been as successful as FSU
Again, I only bring up Coach Ham and fsu to show that a Florida program can have success recruiting in-state players. There's a myriad of reasons why Miami hasn't had the same success as fsu in recent years.

FGCU also helps to prove my point. FGCU's 4 leading scorers in today's win over Miami are all from Florida (born & raised). LOL!!!

Advertisement
Fans that try to bring football mentality to basketball are just dumb. There, I said it. Why does Miami recruit up north? Because it works for us, those kids are willing to hear the Miami pitch and give Miami a shot. Local kids down here that are elite go and be mercs for schools like Duke or take the bags at FSU(FSU didn't just start magically recruiting like gangbusters out of nowhere(Ham was NEVER an elite recruiter), something is up and we all know it)

Think about the following, Vernon Carey Jr. was not only a Miami legacy, he was a kid whose father is still close to the athletic department. L threw EVERYTHING at the kid and Duke was still able to get him to come and be a merc. Lonnie Walker and Bruce Brown were kids that not only chose Miami but were kids with other high major offers. Both are from the northeast. Jack McClinton transferred to Miami, he's an east coast kid. You look at the kids that have balled out for this program over the last 15 years, most of them aren't local. Miami has had some local kids come and be on the roster, but Miami is at its best when the roster is mostly a mix of kids from outside the Miami bubble. L's pull goes further up nor and it's a waste of time to keep trying to recruit kids that don't want to stay home, because like the community at large, they are frontrunners. Haith tried to recruit South Florida, it for the most part failed. L tried earlier in his tenure, realized that it's a waste, and went back to the places where the kids are receptive and the talent is plentiful.

L isn't the only coach that has struggled to recruit locally, Coach Meier has picked and chosen her spots. She's great at getting international kids to fill in the gaps, the ONLY way she's been able to land elite local kids is after they come home after flaming out at bigger programs (Bea Mompremier is a classic example). Miami women's basketball has been a good top 30 program for almost a decade straight, local elite top end girls are still not giving Meier any play, but are willing to go to other programs and warm the bench.

Midmajors HAVE to recruit locally. WHY? Because most don't really have the budget to recruit nationally. That's why. Is there talent in South Florida? Yes, but a lot of it sure as **** aren't interested in staying home. It's like Rutgers football: There's local talent, but if they aren't interested in staying home and making the crib great, do you keep fighting a losing battle, or do you go somewhere where you can get legit talent? Schiano realized that second and third tier Florida talent was better than missing on everything in New Jersey, and L has realized that a 4 star from Redding PA is just as good as a 4 star from Miami, that won't even give you the time of day.

Last edited:
FGCU also helps to prove my point. FGCU's 4 leading scorers in today's win over Miami are all from Florida (born & raised). LOL!!!
Let me guess, you don't pay attention. Of course a MIDMAJOR would have a lot of local kids. They have zero choice, they have to recruit locally, because they cannot afford to spend scarce resources on national recruiting. Never mind the fact that FGCU team you are crowing about beat a Miami team that was crippled beyond recognition. Miami had at least 25-35 PPG in street clothes(Timberlake and Lykes) and then McGusty got hurt. This was one of those games in which Miami keeping it close was a minor miracle, especially considering how few bodies were out there.

Let me guess, you don't pay attention. Of course a MIDMAJOR would have a lot of local kids. They have zero choice, they have to recruit locally, because they cannot afford to spend scarce resources on national recruiting. Never mind the fact that FGCU team you are crowing about beat a Miami team that was crippled beyond recognition. Miami had at least 25-35 PPG in street clothes(Timberlake and Lykes) and then McGusty got hurt. This was one of those games in which Miami keeping it close was a minor miracle, especially considering how few bodies were out there.

There are plenty of mid-majors around the country that don't have 9 in-state players on their roster. Division I schools certainly have choices from where to pluck players. You seem to be the one not paying attention. Maybe, just maybe the reason FGCU does a better job of recruiting in state is because they have 3 coaches on their staff with strong ties to Florida, while Miami has none. No doubt Miami has gotten hit by the injury bug, but do you realize Miami was still favorite to win by 18 points? That's a cheap excuse for losing. Minor miracle my a$$.

Last edited:
There are plenty of mid-majors around the country that don't have 9 in-state players on their roster. Division I schools certainly have choices from where to pluck players. You seem to be the one not paying attention. Maybe, just maybe the reason FGCU does a better job of recruiting in state is because they have 3 coaches on their staff with strong ties to Florida, while Miami has none. No doubt Miami has gotten hit by the injury bug, but do you realize Miami was still favorite to win by 18 points? That's a cheap excuse for losing. Minor miracle my a$$.
Midmajors that are in populated areas tend to recruit locally. We aren't talking about midmajors like Gonzaga or UNLV, schools that can consistently recruit nationally.

Anyone stupid enough to view spreads as anything other than a betting tool isn't worth my time. A spread isn't a prediction, it's merely designed to help the house cover, to spread the action around, period. Once again, Miami was down 2 top end guys before the game started and lost ANOTHER during said game. 3 of the teams top 6 players. I'm not even including losing a rotational player as well. Just dumbass nonsense from you, miss me with your uninformed trash.

Advertisement
Midmajors that are in populated areas tend to recruit locally. We aren't talking about midmajors like Gonzaga or UNLV, schools that can consistently recruit nationally.

Anyone stupid enough to view spreads as anything other than a betting tool isn't worth my time. A spread isn't a prediction, it's merely designed to help the house cover, to spread the action around, period. Once again, Miami was down 2 top end guys before the game started and lost ANOTHER during said game. 3 of the teams top 6 players. I'm not even including losing a rotational player as well. Just dumbass nonsense from you, miss me with your uninformed trash.
You're full of excuses for this staff's shortcomings. Don't be a staff slurper. Try being a little objective.

Screenshot (3).png

Another example of fsu beating us to the punch with kids in our own backyard. Top freshmen in Miami, possibly all of South Florida and his first offer comes from the school in trailerhassee.

Advertisement
Northeast is to basketball is what the southeast is to football. I'm ok with our approach.
Florida HS hoops have improved greatly but ... never gonna make a living off local recruiting. Especially with 3-4 major in-state D1 programs in any given time frame. Not to say we shouldn't be recruiting locally a lot better.

View attachment 142043

Another example of fsu beating us to the punch with kids in our own backyard. Top freshmen in Miami, possibly all of South Florida and his first offer comes from the school in trailerhassee.

Negligence on L's part because Norland is one of the best, if not the best, basketball program in the tri-county area. On 247, it shows no Miami offer for the Thompson twins (FSU is already all in on them). Wesley Cardet and Josh Minott will leave the state. Embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Negligence on L's part because Norland is one of the best, if not the best, basketball program in the tri-county area. On 247, it shows no Miami offer for the Thompson twins (FSU is already all in on them). Wesley Cardet and Josh Minott will leave the state. Embarrassing.
Just another example of this staff sleeping at the wheel

Advertisement
Back