UM Indoor Prictice Facility

I noticed in the UF video that one coach said it's good to get out of the heat. Bad, bad, bad idea IMO. You should practice inside when it is not possible to practice outside. Heat is not a reason. You play in the heat, so you practice in the heat. Otherwise, you might as well have Spring practice in Michigan.

Advertisement
Wouldn't it be more feasible to build an indoor practice facility with a retractable roof around the current practice field?

I love the practice field - hope they don't ever mess with it like that.

And this IPF talk is over the top. We don't NEED one to be competitive.

I think we need one due to the weather. If I'm not mistaken we lose a lot of on the field practice time each year do to weather. And because we are located in a state that can have thunderstorms at anytime it only makes sense that we would have such a facility.

Practice in the rain - it builds character.

What a soft country.

OK, I have at least thought it out that far. Now deal with the NCAA rules concerning bad weather or in this case lightning?

I would think that a retractable roof would be benefiting in this case.

Wouldn't it be more feasible to build an indoor practice facility with a retractable roof around the current practice field?

LMAO. Sure it is feasible. Are you going to pay for it?

I do my part by being a season ticket holder. That is revenue that the school makes and don't have to pay salaries to the players. I don't owe them sh**t but the least they can do is take some of the money that they have been getting over on the players with for years and invest it back into the facilities. The onus should not always be put back on the fans to come up with the money for new stadiums. Some of these billionaire team owners and board of directors at these institutions need to pony up more money for their own sh**t.

Last edited:
We need an indoor practice field because Miami is in a true tropical climate, unlike UF, FSU UCF and USF. ( see Wikipedia - Florida climate). Sure you want to practice outdoors but we have lost too many practice days to tropical rains and lightning. Until October it is really bad.

Advertisement
Like clock work a thread about a indoor practice facility

And you probably said the same thing about Al Golden and staff. We talked about it and talked about it. Now he's gone and we have a new coach.

There is nothing wrong with us as fans pointing out things that could make us better as a team. One thing for certain when the goals are accomplished you are too soon to join in singing "how great it is".

Advertisement
Like clock work a thread about a indoor practice facility

And you probably said the same thing about Al Golden and staff. We talked about it and talked about it. Now he's gone and we have a new coach.

There is nothing wrong with us as fans pointing out things that could make us better as a team. One thing for certain when the goals are accomplished you are too soon to join in singing "how great it is".

Not to mention it's a message board (and the off-season). Wth else is there to talk about?

I love the practice field - hope they don't ever mess with it like that.

And this IPF talk is over the top. We don't NEED one to be competitive.

We don't need one, you're right. But other schools use the exact line: "How serious is their commitment to football? They don't even have an IPF."

(Not just us, anyone without an IPF)

We aren't losing out on kids because of our facilities on campus. We have awesome facilities and a beautiful campus (IPF or not).
How do you win 5 NC's without one and now all of a sudden it's a big deal?

We've always lacked certain things that the big schools haven't (traditions, large fan bases, college towns, sold out crowds, big $$$, etc)... and it hasn't stopped us from winning.

Sorry, but this is just another "keepin up with the Joneses" bullsh!t perk that doesn't equate to performance on the field.
Its a new day...the last time UM won a NC IPF wasn't even an acronym.. We communicated fine with one telephone and a long *** cord in the house back in the day.. I fine my cell phone benefical from time to time

Last edited:
IPFs are now essential.. and not for recruiting but for not missing practices due to Florida lightning and heavy rains. A few years back FSU missed 60% of their practices leading up to its first game of the year at Clemson. They were heavy favorites and got blown out.

Advertisement
Here is a list of champions over the last 16 years:

IDP=Indoor Practice Facility

Year Champion
2015 Alabama (IDP)
2014 Ohio State (IDP)
2013 Florida State (IDP)
2012 Alabama (IDP)
2011 Alabama (IDP)
2010 Auburn (IDP)
2009 Alabama (IDP)
2008 Florida (IDP)
2007 Louisiana State (IDP)
2006 Florida (IDP)
2005 Texas (IDP)
2004 Southern California (Not Sure If They have an IDP)
2003 Louisiana State (IDP), Southern California (Not Sure If They have an IDP)
2002 Ohio State (IDP)
2001 Miami (Fla.) (NO IDP)
2000 Oklahoma (Not Sure If They have an IDP)

Last edited:
An indoor football practice facility “remains a top priority for us,” James said. UM is still hoping to secure a big-money, groundbreaking donation. “I’m confident we’ll get a gift,” James said. “Everyone recognizes how important it is for the long-term success of our program.” UM continues to work with architects on the design, which will likely be constructed on UM’s current campus “given our limited land resources,” James said, “but until we finalize that, that’s still to be determined.”

James has often said he likes to have one new big-ticket item for the athletics department each school year. What’s coming this year? He wouldn’t say: “I’m sure we’ll have something to celebrate come August.”

:chuncky:

Florida-Miami game, indoor football facility, TV coverage among priorities for Hurricanes AD | Canes Watch

Advertisement
I would like the team to have an indoor practice facility but ONLY to get out of lightning delays/rules. All other times (rain, sweltering heat) they should still be outside. This get out of the heat bull**** is for pussies

In the Marine Corps we used to say "train like you fight". I see no reason a TACKLE FOOTBALL TEAM should try to get out of the heat especially when they are going to play in it.

Year Champion
2015 Alabama (IDP)
2014 Ohio State (IDP)
2013 Florida State (IDP)
2012 Alabama (IDP)
2011 Alabama (IDP)
2010 Auburn (IDP)
2009 Alabama (IDP)
2008 Florida (IDP)
2006 Florida (IDP)
2005 Texas (IDP)
2002 Ohio State (IDP)

You didn't specify if these teams had an indoor practice facility the year they won the natty...or if they just have one now. Big difference.

Year Champion
2015 Alabama (IDP)
2014 Ohio State (IDP)
2013 Florida State (IDP)
2012 Alabama (IDP)
2011 Alabama (IDP)
2010 Auburn (IDP)
2009 Alabama (IDP)
2008 Florida (IDP)
2006 Florida (IDP)
2005 Texas (IDP)
2002 Ohio State (IDP)

You didn't specify if these teams had an indoor practice facility the year they won the natty...or if they just have one now. Big difference.
Florida didn't ... this is their first season with an IPF

I'm truly a believer that practicing in the heat makes you a better prepared team when it's hot on game day. That said, the NCAA is strict on lightning policies and losing practice time because of weather can cripple a team. Maybe have a small indoor facility only to be used when weather doesn't allow an outdoor practice? 95* heat in September is part of Miami's home field advantage and practicing indoors every day only kills that advantage.

Advertisement
Back