UM Indoor Prictice Facility

Cubana

Thunderdome
I saw an article where UGA agreed to spend $400K to hire an architect. For a facility around 75-100 feet high, 70 yards wide and 140 yards long several schools have spent about $15 million on such projects.

Are there any plans for such a project at UM?

Advertisement
i think we'll get one (or at least have the wheels turning) within the next 2 years. i don't think that richt would have taken the job as fast as he did without an indoor facility being written into the terms of his contract. they are absolutely vital to success in modern d1 football.

From an article from May 2015. Dont know if there's been any update since..
UM Athletic Director Blake James said he feels confident the Hurricanes will be able to play indoors in the future, but they can’t move forward without a “significant gift.”

“Is it something that continues to be a priority for us? Without a doubt,” James told the Post before a Hurricanes booster event Wednesday in Orlando. “We’re working with campus on the drawings and what makes sense, and we’ll be ready to go. When that lead gift comes, we’ll be ready to go. It’s something that we need for our program.”
Miami Hurricanes indoor practice facility a ‘priority,’ AD says | Canes Watch

Advertisement
Plans have been drawn up for two locations, but obviously the funding is the issue now.

It's in progress but expect a smaller facility due to space limitations, land costs and zoning. I would expect a facility about 60 - 70 yards long where the current artificial turf field is located. Practicing outdoors is better and practicing surrounded by Palm Trees, blue skies in a subtropical climate holds more appeal to recruits than does playing in a gloomy building. Cost will be $15 - 20 million. Miami's other facilities are now in the top ten percent and new dormitories are coming as well.

Advertisement
I feel like they announce a big donation all the time. I suppose they are earmarked for other things, but as an ath department not sure how anything else could be more important than this right now. Abysmal that we don't have one right now.

Miami needs to build a nice IPF not a cheap one because the ones UF and FSU have are very nice that has a full size field. UCF's IPF which is the oldest in Florida is still functional and with a little freshing up via new paint and better lighting it will be right up there interms of southern IPFs.

Go Canes

UF just finished Thiers last August for roughly $17+ million
Gators indoor practice facility cannot come a moment too soon - Orlando Sentinel

[video=youtube_share;3_WaDMpYGMY]http://youtu.be/3_WaDMpYGMY[/video]

Last edited:
It's in progress but expect a smaller facility due to space limitations, land costs and zoning. I would expect a facility about 60 - 70 yards long where the current artificial turf field is located. Practicing outdoors is better and practicing surrounded by Palm Trees, blue skies in a subtropical climate holds more appeal to recruits than does playing in a gloomy building. Cost will be $15 - 20 million. Miami's other facilities are now in the top ten percent and new dormitories are coming as well.

This is my understanding as well, with the possibility of moving the tennis courts as the other iteration that would allow for a larger facility.

Advertisement
Wouldn't it be more feasible to build an indoor practice facility with a retractable roof around the current practice field?

Wouldn't it be more feasible to build an indoor practice facility with a retractable roof around the current practice field?

I love the practice field - hope they don't ever mess with it like that.

And this IPF talk is over the top. We don't NEED one to be competitive.

Advertisement

We don't need one, you're right. But other schools use the exact line: "How serious is their commitment to football? They don't even have an IPF."

(Not just us, anyone without an IPF)

We don't need one, you're right. But other schools use the exact line: "How serious is their commitment to football? They don't even have an IPF."

(Not just us, anyone without an IPF)

We aren't losing out on kids because of our facilities on campus. We have awesome facilities and a beautiful campus (IPF or not).
How do you win 5 NC's without one and now all of a sudden it's a big deal?

We've always lacked certain things that the big schools haven't (traditions, large fan bases, college towns, sold out crowds, big $$$, etc)... and it hasn't stopped us from winning.

Sorry, but this is just another "keepin up with the Joneses" bullsh!t perk that doesn't equate to performance on the field.

I think we need one due to the weather. If I'm not mistaken we lose a lot of on the field practice time each year do to weather. And because we are located in a state that can have thunderstorms at anytime it only makes sense that we would have such a facility.

I think we need one due to the weather. If I'm not mistaken we lose a lot of on the field practice time each year do to weather. And because we are located in a state that can have thunderstorms at anytime it only makes sense that we would have such a facility.

Practice in the rain - it builds character.

What a soft country.

Advertisement
Back