UM hockey

mjl7atlas

Sophomore
UM hockey will be playing February 14th and 15th at 8 pm in Wesley Chapel for those that live in the Tampa area. I know that's a tough weekend and time, but just passing it along.
524568_raw.jpg

Advertisement
Yes he is a great coach and person. Just for your info, my brother in law played together in the junior league in GATINEAU, QUEBEC. Nice nystateofmind, u know your hockey my friend

Advertisement
I think a non-club UM hockey team could do very well. Hockey is a growing sport and UM’s recruiting would be incredible. All those kids up north would love the opportunity to come down and play in South Florida.

Arizona State is having success due to that very same fact, and they just started their program a few years back.

Advertisement
Hockey shouldn't be played below the Mason Dixon line.
Farther north than that. I would put it at NYC. Draw a line straight across till the big lakes and then follow the Canadian border after Detroit. That’s hockey’s historical home. No Carolina this or Pittsburgh that. Contract em all.

Farther north than that. I would put it at NYC. Draw a line straight across till the big lakes and then follow the Canadian border after Detroit. That’s hockey’s historical home. No Carolina this or Pittsburgh that. Contract em all.
Agreed

I think a non-club UM hockey team could do very well. Hockey is a growing sport and UM’s recruiting would be incredible. All those kids up north would love the opportunity to come down and play in South Florida.

Arizona State is having success due to that very same fact, and they just started their program a few years back.

So would some of the Euros. When you say "kids up North", are you including Canadians?

So would some of the Euros. When you say "kids up North", are you including Canadians?
There has always been talk of ASU, an LA school, an Oregon School and a Washington school could start a league with maybe UT. ASU has been rumored to join Hockey East. Canadiens who want to play college will go anywhere but Miami would be quite a draw. If I got recruited to UCLA and BC that would be a tough choice and I am a Boston guy who grew up with the Beanpot and the BC bu rivalry. Northern kids and Canadians would definitely go south. The high end kids (NTDP kids) would probably still go to the blue bloods. And just realized this is my number of the beast post!

Advertisement
There has always been talk of ASU, an LA school, an Oregon School and a Washington school could start a league with maybe UT. ASU has been rumored to join Hockey East. Canadiens who want to play college will go anywhere but Miami would be quite a draw. If I got recruited to UCLA and BC that would be a tough choice and I am a Boston guy who grew up with the Beanpot and the BC bu rivalry. Northern kids and Canadians would definitely go south. The high end kids (NTDP kids) would probably still go to the blue bloods. And just realized this is my number of the beast post!

Same with lacrosse which fits with the school's demographic--northeast and mid-Atlantic where the game is dominant. Most of the Canadian kids play lacrosse when hockey season is over.

I played college hockey and can confirm this. If Miami had a team and offered, I would've committed in a heart beat. ASU didn't offer though :(

Advertisement
I played college hockey and can confirm this. If Miami had a team and offered, I would've committed in a heart beat. ASU didn't offer though :(

Highly doubtful that Miami would ever offer scholarships. When I was at UM, Dave Maggard was cutting men's sports teams (and blaming it on Title IX), so if you ever increased the number of sports, you'd probably have to do it with a sport that had a female team counterpart (or add a scholarship sport that was only for women). In addition, I would imagine that hockey is an "equivalency" scholarship sport, so it would only be fractional scholarships (and players would have to foot the bill for the rest of their tuition/living expenses). Finally, the team practices down in Kendall, there is no on-campus facility, so it would be tough to hold as many practices as a competitive "Division I scholarship sport" would probably necessitate.

And that is before you even address the issue of opponents, whether the ACC has a full slate of scholarship hockey programs and/or nearby colleges have the same.

Highly doubtful that Miami would ever offer scholarships. When I was at UM, Dave Maggard was cutting men's sports teams (and blaming it on Title IX), so if you ever increased the number of sports, you'd probably have to do it with a sport that had a female team counterpart (or add a scholarship sport that was only for women). In addition, I would imagine that hockey is an "equivalency" scholarship sport, so it would only be fractional scholarships (and players would have to foot the bill for the rest of their tuition/living expenses). Finally, the team practices down in Kendall, there is no on-campus facility, so it would be tough to hold as many practices as a competitive "Division I scholarship sport" would probably necessitate.

And that is before you even address the issue of opponents, whether the ACC has a full slate of scholarship hockey programs and/or nearby colleges have the same.

Yeah I agree, the logistics would definitely be tough. Hockey is an equivalency scholarship sport, not everybody gets a full ride. I would have to imagine that the program would need to be backed by a big money booster for Miami. As for conferences, hockey conferences are weird, Boston College is in Hockey East for example. The only "normal" conference is the Big Ten and they only have 7 teams

Advertisement
Back