UM held things back that. Will unleash vs Nebraska & beyond!

My man cane2 will insert a period in the weirdest spots. As for holding back, it should be pretty obvious to anyone that we've changed the looks...

Oh shoot, apologize for taking time off, but we still got a game to play

Cane2, thanks for the write-up. This was the first one where I didn't feel like I was high while reading.

Notwithstanding the politiks with UM and its BOT's Hirees the last 10, these players are still strapping it up and giving us a match to watch against ******** that try to hurt our QB...and if wasn't for a bunch of questionable calls and that Duke fumble, that game could have gone in the W category.

I look forward to not only how our "new offense" will wreck up massive yardage against the Cornhuskers D again, but how our "new aggressive D" will fare against the onslaught of their offense.

Advertisement
Espresso on first down, cappuccino on second, latte on third. Got it.

Please tell me they've been holding back on D. D'No going to unleash Stromboli, Panzarotti, and Calzone.

The words "D'Nofrio" and "unleash his Stromboli" should never be spoken together.

CORAL GABLES - "As our defense has improved over the last 15 games, so has our ability to go for it on fourth," Miami coach Al Golden said. "I don't think there's any question we have the utmost faith in our defense now."

Miami has been dreadful on third downs to start this season, with only five teams at the FBS level off to a worse start than the Hurricanes' 6-for-24 rate there through the first two games.

But when adding in that 5-for-5 on fourth downs, it all doesn't look so bad to Golden.

When it comes to third-down conversion rates, no league at college football's top level is off to a better start this season than the Atlantic Coast Conference.

And on fourth down, the ACC is even better.

Going for it on fourth-and-whatever has looked easy around the ACC so far in 2015, with the league's teams combining to convert 31 of 38 chances — an wildly impressive 82 percent — in those situations. No other conference even comes close to that sort of percentage on fourth downs, and the only FBS teams in America off to 5-for-5 starts in that department are Illinois and Miami.

"We just have a lot of confidence in our guys," said Golden, whose team went for it twice on fourth downs on its first possession of the season — passing both times and converting both. "If it takes four downs, it takes four downs. They're both money downs to us."

The Hurricanes are hardly the only ACC team with a punting-optional approach.

ACC clubs are converting on nearly 50 percent of their third-down tries so far this year, and the gaudy fourth-down numbers make it look more impressive across the league.

North Carolina State has more fourth-down conversion tries this season (seven) than it has punts (six). The Wolfpack are 5-for-7 on the ultimate down already in 2015, after going 5-for-10 on those plays in 2014.

"It's always about execution," said North Carolina State coach Dave Doeren, whose affinity for going for it on fourth down goes back to his time at Northern Illinois before arriving in Raleigh in 2012. "You've got to execute and just make the right decision."

No. 14 Georgia Tech has long had a penchant for leaving its offense on the field on fourth downs. Sometimes it's to try drawing an offsides penalty (if that doesn't work, the Jackets will simply take a time-out), but it's also not uncommon for coach Paul Johnson to just give his triple-option offense one more shot at converting.

The Jackets have been a juggernaut offensively this season. Their totals through three games: three punts, and 3-for-3 on fourth downs.

Among ACC teams, Duke has the most fourth-down tries (117, according to STATS) since the start of the 2011 season. Take away the league's newcomers and the average for ACC clubs in that span is 80.3 fourth-down attempts.

There's one very notable exception on that front.

Ninth-ranked Florida State had a fourth-down conversion in last week's win over South Florida, after not having a single one in the entire 2014 season. Since the start of 2011, the Seminoles are a mere 9 for 24 when going for it on fourth downs, a clear sign that Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher is no fan of what he seems to deem unnecessary risks.

And why would he be, considering Florida State has one of college football's top kickers — maybe ever — in Roberto Aguayo.

"There's no set reason to go for it or not go for it," Fisher said. "We have a great field-goal kicker. A lot of times, I call that no man's land when you're out there. A lot of guys will go for it but we've got a great kicker, so a lot of times we'll get field goals."

The risk does seem to usually come with a big reward.

When ACC teams have converted on fourth downs this season, a trip to the end zone tends to follow. Out of the 31 conversions, 18 have come on what became touchdown drives.

"If it takes two," Golden said, "that's what we'll do."

I guess they held out all their third down conversion plays, I can't wait to watch

"We're playing vanilla, bro!" is as much of a delusional tradition for this fanbase as "the defense is changing this year, guys!"

I guess people need hope. Sadly, as the case with other years, there's no super secret gameplan they're waiting to unleash; they just suck.

I guess we were holding out on all of our third down conversion plays last year too.

Advertisement
So these past 4 years AG and staph have held back offensively and defensively to unleash it on Nebraska at home in 2015.......seems legit

My man cane2 will insert a period in the weirdest spots. As for holding back, it should be pretty obvious to anyone that we've changed the looks...

Oh shoot, apologize for taking time off, but we still got a game to play

Cane2, thanks for the write-up. This was the first one where I didn't feel like I was high while reading.

Notwithstanding the politiks with UM and its BOT's Hirees the last 10, these players are still strapping it up and giving us a match to watch against ******** that try to hurt our QB...and if wasn't for a bunch of questionable calls and that Duke fumble, that game could have gone in the W category.

I look forward to not only how our "new offense" will wreck up massive yardage against the Cornhuskers D again, but how our "new aggressive D" will fare against the onslaught of their offense.

tumblr_n6ojtdWZKI1tbh1dho1_400.gif

Advertisement
So these past 4 years AG and staph have held back offensively and defensively to unleash it on Nebraska at home in 2015.......seems legit

Yes, it's all part if their evil plan. Suck on D, special teams, third down conversions, second half adjustments and scheme . Lose a ton of games just for this week.

Enjoy fellas, the big Al Golden coming out party starts Saturday.

Please tell me they've been holding back on D. D'No going to unleash Stromboli, Panzarotti, and Calzone.

You're killing!

I guess they held out all their third down conversion plays, I can't wait to watch

bruh, can you take a mere few (5-10) mins to read the periodical!

It might even tell about 3rd down rate, or not, but you'd never until you accept that Reading is Fundamental to...the modern man -- before you pounce on Brad Kaaya, Mark Walton, and Trayone Gray's intentions for the real D1 schedule, starting with Nebraska.

It takes you 5-10 mins to read that? WTF?
FSU Grad, just ask Rubio.

You're killing!

Coley is running a Cali High School offense with a third down percentage somewhere south of Havana and he's making jokes. And D'No is on the sidelines ready to fight the fans. You can't make this stuff up.

Advertisement
In honor of the Papal visit, Coley promises to unleash Purgatory. He's not holding back this week.

Thanks, OP.

Watching the first two games, my first thought was, "We're holding things back for Nebraska. Will they ever be surprised!"

Every time I think I've heard it all, this staff surprises me with more gobbledygook. It's rather impressive, in a twisted sort of way.

Advertisement
they obviously did hold things back on offense, defense they had no dam clue against FAU, thats not the question, the question is those plays and style that was held back good enough to win because we have seen recently that coleys play calling sucks

Advertisement
Back