UM finalizes Bryan McClendon as WR coach, co-OC; Cristobal comments

Advertisement
Cooley or Dorsey is fine by me. And to the hes never been a coordinator crow, he’s on track to be a nfl oc as early as the 2022 season. Cooley is an amazing recruiter, just stock top talent and get blue trips across the line…imo Mario is just going to out recruit everyone including bama and Georgia consistently. He’s going to own the line of scrimmage and play smash mouth football like he wants to. Seems very Saban minded to me on o before Saban switched to a more modern offense but if Mario has the guys he wants with top s fl at all skill positions watch out

His resume reminds me of the impressive resumes of Manny's assistants when he was announced as a HC at Miami.
Animated GIF

Advertisement
Cooley or Dorsey is fine by me. And to the hes never been a coordinator crow, he’s on track to be a nfl oc as early as the 2022 season. Cooley is an amazing recruiter, just stock top talent and get blue trips across the line…imo Mario is just going to out recruit everyone including bama and Georgia consistently. He’s going to own the line of scrimmage and play smash mouth football like he wants to. Seems very Saban minded to me on o before Saban switched to a more modern offense but if Mario has the guys he wants with top s fl at all skill positions watch out
I hope this isn’t FSU alum James Coley who supervised the offensive decline under Al Golden. That Coley should give up football coaching as a profession.

Realistically we are Never going to out recruit uga and bama but we will be in that tier just below . Still elite recruiting nonetheless

Believe he was OC at SC 2 years where he called plays
If he was so good at it why wasn’t he doing it at his current gig? Look I like McClendon he is a great recruiter and if they want to give him the title of “Co-OC” fine. However give me a proven play caller to complement him that’s all. I’m not falling for this **** any longer I don’t care if Nick Saban was hired.

Advertisement
If he was so good at it why wasn’t he doing it at his current gig? Look I like McClendon he is a great recruiter and if they want to give him the title of “Co-OC” fine. However give me a proven play caller to complement him that’s all. I’m not falling for this **** any longer I don’t care if Nick Saban was hired.
Was just replying to a post saying he never called plays. Never said he was good at it.

I'm not bringing him down, but not sure OC and USCe inspires confidence.

It should. He was so good as his job as a WR and RB coach and such a valuable asset as a recruiter he was given the opportunity to OC at an SEC school. It's actually an incredible buy signal for the job WE hired him do. The fact that he has OC experience is definitely an asset in offensive meetings too. I'm sure the best of his ideas will be welcome. The rest of them, not so much lol.

It's similar to Tom Herman being such a good OC he got HC opps. Just because he did poorly as a HC doesn't make him any less qualified an OC.

Advertisement
Exactly, how does this affect the OC hire?
It doesn't. I would assume that McClendon will most certainly help prepare game plans and have some input but the title is just something Mario used to "sweeten the pot" if you will. The title looks good on a resume but I am nearly positive that the OC we hire will not have his title as Co-OC but OC and it will be his show. Don't misunderstand, McClendon is a super bright guy with a ton of experience and football knowledge who will eventually be an OC again. For right now however, the new soon to be determined OC will be running the show.

I mean TRob was the DC at USCe at the same exact time BMac was OC and we love him as a position coach. BMac isn't calling plays so why aren't we as excited.
Because we're not talking about TRob being a Co-DC just a position coach. I'm not sure why you have the feeling that people aren't excited about McClendon because I certainly am. Anytime you can get an excellent position coach who has experience as a coordinator that's a very good thing. Same with coordinators. Anytime you can get a great coordinator who has been a head coach it's a great move. It makes your staff that much better.

Advertisement
McClendon is a very good hire

I can't believe this board is even debating this. He might be the best position coach hire overall on paper we've made in the last 15-20 years... certainly top 5. This is a SEC level ALPHA who has gotten elevated titles at every stop, and every place he's gone has been big time.

Advertisement
Back