UM commit Munoz enjoys FSU game, talks Ingraham, updates commit status

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 3-star DT Jason Munoz has lived and grown up in the city of Miami his whole life and considers himself a life-long Hurricanes fan. So, when he got the opportunity to officially become a Cane, the St. Thomas Aquinas star wasted no time, jumping on his offer the same day Miami extended it and committing to UM in June. Last weekend, Munoz was part of an incredible recruiting weekend for the Canes, as they hosted over 50 high-priority prospects to watch Miami take on rival FSU at Hard Rock Stadium. With the comeback victory, the Canes downed the Noles in a thriller that had the recruiting section on their feet the entire second half.

“It was the best game I've ever been to,” Munoz said on the Miami-FSU experience. “The atmosphere was crazy, the fans are incredible, and the comeback was absolutely insane. I can’t wait until next year when we beat the Gators!”

As a UM commit that’s going on four months on board now, Munoz says he’s starting to get recognized by the fanbase, and his 6’4” 278 pound frame isn’t that difficult to spot in a crowd.

“It was a surreal experience at the game when so many fans knew who I was,” Munoz said. “There's nothing like Hurricanes’ fans. The fans are awesome. I realized I have a whole city rooting for me and it’s an indescribable feeling. It made me feel proud to be a Hurricane.”

At the FSU game, Munoz spent most of his time hanging around his STA teammates, which included OT Marcus Dumervil, S Jordan Battle, CB Jaden Davis, and DT Braylen Ingraham. Ingraham in particular has long been a top Miami target and Munoz says he and another STA teammate/Miami commit have been working to get Ingraham to the U. Ingraham will officially announce a decision in two weeks (Oct. 23) and is also considering Alabama, Oregon, Kentucky, and UF.

“I want him to be my roommate,” Munoz said on Ingraham. “We have a great relationship, I've been talking to him constantly about committing and I think it’s working. (Anthony) Solomon is my best friend and we've been working on it together. I’m also working on (Jordan) Battle.”

Since his commitment to Miami, Munoz has continued to get attention from other programs, but as a die-hard Cane, has turned away all other interested suitors. He does not plan to visit any other schools besides Miami and has shut down his recruitment.

“Nothing's changed for me, I'm still 1000% committed to the U,” Munoz said. “I'm all in, no school in the nation can flip me. Coach (Mark) Richt, coach (Manny) Diaz, and coach (Jess) Simpson are my extended family, I won’t let them down. I've shut down my recruitment.

“(UM recruiting coordinator) Tyler Stevens has been great, he's gone out of his way to make sure we don't have any questions. He's really made me and my family feel welcome. I'm excited for what's to come.”

As for his senior season at St. Thomas, Munoz was expecting to have a breakout season for the Raiders after missing his entire junior season due to a fibula fracture. However, after STA’s season opening win over DeMatha, Munoz was sidelined again for 3 games when he rolled his ankle in practice blocking a field goal attempt. Munoz returned 2 weeks back against Miami Central and recorded 3 tackles in his first game back in a loss to the Rockets.

“I rolled my ankle pretty bad in practice blocking a field goal, which I did block it, but as I was landing, I realized I was going to step on the center’s hand and, while trying to avoid stepping on his hand, I rolled my ankle,” Munoz said. “I'm 100% fine right now.”

According to Munoz, there was a very good reason he did everything possible to avoid injuring a teammate: he’s accidentally already done it before.

“I broke one of my teammates’ hands already and didn't want to break his. I got in trouble last time,” Munoz said. “And I’m not allowed to touch the QB’s anymore. I’m the only one with that rule, everyone else can tag them, but I'm not allowed to even touch them.”

Miami’s Surge19 class has started to fall in the team rankings lately, as they are now #20 overall on 247Sports and #21 overall on Rivals despite a fast start to the cycle. However, Munoz says that he sees his incoming class as being hungry and ready to play regardless of what rankings say.

“2019 is going to be nasty,” Munoz said. “I want players that want to be here and we will dominate next year. Being a Hurricane is not for everyone. I can’t wait.

“Stars won’t protect you on the field.”

Advertisement
Great article. This kid is our version of a stealth fighter. No one knows what he's made of. But when we unveil the weapon, he will blow things up. I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of his senior season.

Advertisement
“Nothing's changed for me, I'm still 1000% committed to the U,” Munoz said. “I'm all in, no school in the nation can flip me. Coach (Mark) Richt, coach (Manny) Diaz, and coach (Jess) Simpson are my extended family, I won’t let them down. I've shut down my recruitment.

This is my kind of dude.

Great recruit. I’m looking for our future DTs (Munoz, Holley, Blissett) to redshirt in order to add strength and size as freshman. Then, let them prosper in 2020.

In order for that to happen, we need Miller, Nesta and Ford to step up big time next year. With Bethel and Tito, that would give us a 5 man rotation at DT.

Really gonna miss Willis. Best we’ve had at DT since Big Vince.

What an absolute beast. The only player who can’t even touch the quarterback.. too funny man.

IMO, he will be the top DT performer out of this class. Early playing time seems like a no brained for this kid. You know he’ll be here 4 years too with how much he loves this place.

Advertisement
Great recruit. I’m looking for our future DTs (Munoz, Holley, Blissett) to redshirt in order to add strength and size as freshman. Then, let them prosper in 2020.

In order for that to happen, we need Miller, Nesta and Ford to step up big time next year. With Bethel and Tito, that would give us a 5 man rotation at DT.

I think Tito is one and done (Grad Transfer with no more eligibility).

Tito has two years eligibility?

Kid haa the attitude and dog for what it takes to be a Cane and hes ALL IN I mean ALL IN plus him being from STA everybody who wants to replace him needs leave it alone because it won't happen and im cheering for this savage

Advertisement
LoL, He Belongs here! This is what i mean by coach richt knows what he's doing, he's back to recruiting the type of players that made & make Miami Great, it's not the star rankings, its the star Miami mindset. Even if this guy doesnt become a starter, or even good enuff to play here, which i highly doubt, but let's say it happened like that, his mindset alone will make other players more talented than him excel cause he's going to help lead them. Alot of those out of town dt's coming in will get better just being around him and jade, lol. Fun times are ahead, enjoy the journey back to the top.

All the idiots speculating about dropping this kid should have their posting privileges revoked - aka BANNED!

Advertisement
Has two years.
Canes official roster is showing him as a RS Senior. He was @ IL for 4 years

Bio:
Prior to Miami: Spent first four seasons of career at Illinois, transferring to Miami for final year of eligibility...Finished career at Illinois with 47 total tackles...Saw action in 10 games with four starts on defensive line in final season (2017), finishing with 29 tackles, 4.5 TFLs and one sack...Tied for second on Fighting Illini in TFLs in final year...Played in 11 games and totaled 15 tackles junior year (2016)...Played in six games as redshirt freshman in 2015.

Canes official roster is showing him as a RS Senior. He was @ IL for 4 years

Bio:
Prior to Miami: Spent first four seasons of career at Illinois, transferring to Miami for final year of eligibility...Finished career at Illinois with 47 total tackles...Saw action in 10 games with four starts on defensive line in final season (2017), finishing with 29 tackles, 4.5 TFLs and one sack...Tied for second on Fighting Illini in TFLs in final year...Played in 11 games and totaled 15 tackles junior year (2016)...Played in six games as redshirt freshman in 2015.

You may be right. Pretty sure I was thinking about Boulware now that you mention it.

Advertisement
Back