UM commit Harris plans visit this weekend, explains goals for junior year

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Miami DE commit Donell Harris had another standout performance in a camp setting, putting on a show in the OL/DL drills at the Opening Miami Regional. While the 4-star from Booker T. Washington didn’t make it into the Final 5 Lineman Challenge, Harris was still pleased with his performance overall.

“I feel like I performed well, I could’ve been in the top 5 but it don’t matter. I just dominated,” Harris said.

Who was the toughest offensive lineman to go against?

“Probably Gerald Mincey. We got in a scrap, he was holding me once again and ripped my jersey,” Harris said. “He goes to Gibbons and they’re in our district, so I’ll see him again.”

As for where Harris stands in recruiting, most know that he has been committed to the Canes since July. Even though Mark Richt is out and Manny Diaz is in at head coach of the Hurricanes, that has not changed Harris’ commitment status at all, and Harris says a lot of that has to do with UM keeping his position coach in DL coach Jess Simpson. In fact, Harris will be on campus this weekend as well to further bond with the staff.

“I’m still digging them right now,” Harris said of UM. “I love coach Simpson, he’s a hard-working coach and he’s going to make you work. I’m also visiting this Saturday.”

So far, Harris has been a leader in the class of 2021, often taking the initiative to reach out to certain players of interest to Miami and help recruit them to the Canes. Harris says he’s had a hand in some of UM’s more recent pledges, and now that they’re in the fold, the star pass-rusher has a new target: University School 4-star OT Marcus Tate.

“I want to get other guys from around the country to commit to Miami so we can have the crib rocking how it was back then,” Harris said. “Our two recent commits, Romello Brinson and Kahlil Brantley, I was working them. I’m trying to get Marcus right now. He’s taking his time, but we’ve been speaking on it. He’s been visiting a lot, so I think there’s a good shot.”

Despite all that, Harris has not fully shut his recruitment down, and doesn’t rule out visits to other programs in the future.

“My recruitment is still open,” Harris said. “Florida is still recruiting me real hard, Florida State, Texas A&M as well.”

After a breakout sophomore season in which Harris hit all of his goals, some might say he doesn’t have much else to prove. However, for his upcoming junior campaign, Harris says he is still planning to take his game to the next level.

“I’m going to have an explosive junior year coming up,” Harris said. “I have a lot of goals, which I accomplished the ones I had last season. I made first team All-Dade, first team All-State. I finished with 22 sacks and next year I’m trying to get 30.”

And what’s Harris’ main priority this off-season that will help him reach that milestone?

“Beefing up, just putting some weight on,” Harris said. “I’m at 209 right now, I’m trying to be 215, 220 for the season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Kid has great bend to go with that super quick first step to get around the corner on the tackles. He is going to be scary when he puts on some grown man strength.

Agree totally. Explosive first step. Tremendous bend while retaining speed and momentum. Very Garvin-like.

At 240, will make an immediate impact.

Advertisement
Scary part is that me may not be done growing. Won't surprise me if he ends up over 6'6", which with his frame will allow him to add some serious weight without it slowing him down one bit. Kid is oozing with potential and would love nothing more than to see him maximize. GO CANES!

He should talk to the 2021 guys and have them make a pact to not decommit and win a natty at the U

Like american pie
Image result for american pie pact gif

Advertisement
One of the best pure pass rusher in the State, and with DJax being the DL coach at BTW we won't have to worry about him flippin in 2 years either. Donnell Harris is Natural Born Cane.

The kid had 73tcks 21 sacks & 3 FF's & made First team All-Dade as a Sophomore.

He's a super freak athlete that would be a legit 4/5-star prospect in Baskeball too, he was a beast in AAU for Miami City Ballers as well.

Agree totally. Explosive first step. Tremendous bend while retaining speed and momentum. Very Garvin-like.

At 240, will make an immediate impact.
Dude, Garvin is this kids floor. He looks like a lanky Von Miller. He's going to be hyped beyond belief by his senior year.

Advertisement
One of the best pure pass rusher in the State, and with DJax being the DL coach at BTW we won't have to worry about him flippin in 2 years either. Donnell Harris is Natural Born Cane.

He's a super freak athlete that would be a legit 4/5-star prospect in Baskeball too, he was a beast in AAU for Miami City Ballers as well.

Agree with all of this but it still bothers me when a kid says he hasn't shut down his recruitment. Kind of sending mixed signals when he's recruiting the big names to come here but he's also open at the same time. I guess he has to say that so he's able to take whatever visits he wants.

One of the more fluid DEs I’ve seen in a bit. Looks like they’re lining up a WR on the edge. Wait till ya’ll see Rousseau consistently. Similar movements. Like giant snakes. Miami is about to go on a run of DE stars.
I said it a 10 year run is very doable.. 6.3 to 6.6 DEs should be the norm

I feel like he’s going to be very similar to Jadeveon Clowney as a HS prospect. 6’6” 240 or so and long as ****. Should contend for #1 overall. Recruiting services love them some DL. They always litter the top 5-10 spots.

You ain’t lying El, kid has a blazing 1st step, very good bull rush, and rag dolled plenty of OL kids in that highlight reel. While I’m by far no expert on recruiting being only a novice myself, what my eyes are telling me goes in lock step with your comments so I know I can’t be far off! We MUST keep him committed to Miami, at all costs...

Advertisement
Back