UM announces Travis Williams as inside LB coach; Diaz comments

View as article
Cannot say enough about Manny. He might fail, but he ain't dumb. Absolutely fantastic turnover from what he inherited to now.

QBs go from being coached by Jon Richt to Rhett Lashlee
Offense goes from being coordinated by Thomas Brown/Mark Richt to Rhett Lashlee (with a pitstop of Dan Enos in the middle)
Receivers go from being coached by Ron Dugans to Rob Likens
Backs go from being coached by Thomas Brown to Eric Hickson
OL goes from being coached by Stacy Searles to Garin Justice
Tight Ends go from being coached by Todd Hartley to Stephen Field

DL brings back Jess Simpson, who was the DL coach here in 2018 when we had the best defense we've fielded in 15+ years
DBs go from being coached by Mike Rumph/Banda to T-Rob/DVD
LBs go from being coached by Blake Baker to T-Will
Patke is hired at the 10th coach to cover Strikers and Special Teams
Manny is the de-facto DC

That, my friends, is positive turnover.

Manny might be a ****** coach and he might get fired at some point down the road, but he's no dummy. He knows what needs to be fixed, and he makes some intelligent moves to fix them.

He's gonna be able to send a staff into kid's houses to recruit defensive players of T-Rob, DVD, and T-Will. Sheesh.

Advertisement
Internet Rolling GIF
90s dancing GIF

Cannot say enough about Manny. He might fail, but he ain't dumb. Absolutely fantastic turnover from what he inherited to now.

Offense goes from being coordinated by Thomas Brown/Mark Richt to Rhett Lashlee (with a pitstop of Dan Enos in the middle)

DL brings back Jess Simpson, who was the DL coach here in 2018 when we had the best defense we've fielded in 15+ years
Manny is the de-facto DC

Manny might be a ****** coach and he might get fired at some point down the road, but he's no dummy. He knows what needs to be fixed, and he makes some intelligent moves to fix them.

He's gonna be able to send a staff into kid's houses to recruit defensive players of T-Rob, DVD, and T-Will. Sheesh.
I literally argued with a poster last week as to whether Manny had made the team "better", his word, not mine. How anyone can look at the improvement in coaching, the returning upper class men, the improved recruiting and not think that the team is "better" is beyond me.

Not sure if anything has happened on this front or what the speculation might be but imo one positive of Manny calling plays would be the potential of leaving the "co-DC" spot vacant. If by the grace of God this all works out then you still have a spot or even spots to "promote" to and justify salary increases.

Advertisement

Manny is the de-facto DC

Then come on campus to meet Ed Reed.

one thing someone cant say is that manny is tied to his buddies. he didnt just hire guys he knew. he put together an SEC staff on D and a good O staff previously
big step by CMD finessing Baker to LSU, now he's got guys who are good at both recruiting and coaching( player development has been killing us) ..... somewhat surprised by staff changes.... also UM coming up with $$$

Havent really looked this guy up, anybody can point to his resume or say what his track record is?I know his name has been hot here last couple weeks but never heard of buddy, just want to get an idea.. TIA

Advertisement
I literally argued with a poster last week as to whether Manny had made the team "better", his word, not mine. How anyone can look at the improvement in coaching, the returning upper class men, the improved recruiting and not think that the team is "better" is beyond me.

The team was markedly better last year than it was in 2019. The staff is markedly better, especially from a recruiting standpoint, in 2021 than it was in 2020. If you don't think these is positive momentum right now, you're probably just a hater and you're miserable (for the record I despise the term "hater" but nothing applies more aptly in this situation. You're just a weirdo hater who has some werido agenda).

the biggest disservice to Miami’s defense in the last 3 years has been the linebacker core. Some kids are talented (brooks, huff, Flagg) but without adequate coaching. Others are simply not good enough to start or play for a P5 team. T-Will with his reputation as a recruiter will clean that up. But I also expect to see a major improvement with (Brooks, Huff, Flagg)
Don't sleep on Austin-Cave either. The LB position should be a huge improvement next year. All the young guys will continue to grow. With better coaching and playing the right guys, the position will be strong 2-deep.

I'll give Manny his due for making great hires on the defensive side of the ball. With Simpson on the line, TWill and TRob on the back, we should have a very strong defense. The recruiting should take off as well with DVD, TWill, and TRob.

Trob
Twill
DVD
Simpson

We got some guys that can pull big time talent on defense now. No more amateur hour.
And, one added note to this. There was some concern by a posters that Simpson didn't have a recruiting reputation. I think that will be obliterated this year. We've got ALL stud recruiters on the D staff now.

Advertisement
Agreed, one thing I'll add is there's also actual evidence of a positive culture shift amongst the players. You can attribute a lot of that to bringing in King, but my point is there seems to be a lot more accountability from the days of Enos/Jarren/N'Kosi

Still a lot of work to be done in that area, and the UNC game is still fresh in my mind... but I'd argue that strides were made

Top 10 staff in cfb. Recruiters everywhere. 3 former FBS OCs on the offensive staff, a former SEC DC and one of the 3-4 best DB coaches in cfb, a former SEC Co-DC who is a vaunted recruiter and already a proven developer, an NFL DL coach, and a former SEC/BIG10 DC/Broyles Finalist as an analyst on D.

Manny is the HC but he also has guys to turn to with valued experience. Shoop was a D1 HC, Justice was a highly regarded D2 HC, Simpson is one of the best Georgia HS football coaches ever, Field was a successful HS football coach, Stroud has experience all over the place from S&C to DC, and an NFL HOF’er.

Multiple former NFL players on staff. South Florida ties on-field and in the football building.

The only thing lacking is a HC with a track record in the HC position I truly think Manny is learning on the fly and doing a **** good job. Best support any HC at Miami has had in at least 2 decades. I wasn’t old enough to know much about the staff makeup prior to Butch’s.

With 9/11 starters returning on D and 10/11 returning on O - if manny can’t win this year... he never will.
Quality post!!!

Advertisement
just f'n amazing

this is literally what every fanbase hopes for and manny made it happen again. just wild that he addresses every single thing every year
Nope, the mopes are gonna say he should’ve hired the right people in the first place. My bad it’s not moping, they just keeping it real

Advertisement
Back