UM announces Stubblefield as WR coach, Field as TE coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important to note that our fans loved Dugans. He was a great recruiter and had the WRs balling.

Ultimately it completely fell apart and the stories about him are disturbing.

Not trying to sway Stubblefield talk just trying to use some perspective.
What stories about Dugans? I heard he obviously got into it with players (Thomas) but didn't know there was anything that bad going on

Advertisement
Oh snap. Near my old neck of the woods (Moore Haven). Swamp cabbage festival!
Dude, I grew up in Moore Haven! I have to know you, we've got 1 red light in the whole county! LOL
Swamp Cabbage is in LaBelle, my wife and I were just talking about going; I think it's Feb 23rd

What stories about Dugans? I heard he obviously got into it with players (Thomas) but didn't know there was anything that bad going on
Yeah I didn’t believe the dramatic reports during the season but there was a lot of shady **** going on with him playing favorites. Messed up the WR room pretty bad.

How hard can it be to teach WR technique? I just have a difficult time believing there is much differentiation on the technical side among qualified coaching candidates for WR, tight end, and DB. My guess is that Stubblefield will have an important role on the game planning side and that is why Enos hired him. Probably a smart kid who knows how to break down film and can get Enos the intel he needs on a week to week basis so install an offensive gameplan. Could be wrong but I imagine we don't have a legion of analysts like Alabama, and certainly not any that could be coaching.

Advertisement
The WR hire could work out really well. Our WR need to learn to:

1) catch the ball consistently (yes, that can be taught -- see Mark Duper's work with Leonard Hankerson prior to his senior yr which turned him from manos de piedra into a third round pick by the NFL);
2) run great routes;
3) use their bodies & other techniques effectively to create separation (Michael Irvin was a master at this);
4) be great teammates; and
5) be ferocious blockers. They started strong under Dugans but the wheels came off in every way by the end of last year.

With all the talent we already have (and given how they underperformed last year), I think hiring a Technician was a good move for WR coach. Field & others can help significantly recruiting WR.

What evidence is there that he can effectively teach any of those things?

That dude got drafted and I remember him causing us ****. He seems to be more of a technician v. recruiter. As long as our WR are taught how to use their god-given abilities correctly, and learn how to use their hands, I’m good w the hire. We actually may need this. This will be his best blank canvas he’s ever had to work w.

Honestly, we should have lost that game

You guys worry too much.

Our last WR coach did a good job teaching WRs how to block, not so much how to catch it appeared.

I think Stubblefield will be fine. Enos is running the offense and Stubblefield is one of Enos guys so let them go to work and we can judge them after there are results, good or bad.

What do air force wrs do?

This Cooney stuff is getting out of control. Who has this dude recruited? Last time I checked all the top talent has been going elsewhere.
All though only as of recent he has been in a bigger roll to actually recruit but if you know South Florida Football the impact and connection he has in local schools is huge with the 7 on 7 League’s and although he has missed some talent I can tell you him being at the U helped us land Noodles, Wiggins and Scaife last class Payton and KJ Osborn this class so although it needs to improve you can’t say he hasn’t brought in talent

Advertisement
Again WRs coach is not going to make or break us in my opinion. However and more importantly I am still searching for reasons and justifications for why Diaz put Patke in charge of special teams? He doesn’t have experience coaching this unit. BTW normally I would say just give him a chance but this unit was beyond atrocious last season. Ask Jimmy Johnson what unit often decides the outcome of football games and he will tell you special teams.

Advertisement
Its obvious Diaz gave Enos 100% authority to hire who he wanted for his staff and Enos chose Stubblefield. Have to hope Enos knows what h'es doing in this regard. If he's garbage i think we can be fairly confident that Diaz will force his firing in 1-2 years so we'll see how it plays out

Not completely mad with Stubblefield if he can give us a tree in California if he has any contacts out that way.

Cooney is pretty plugged in the south florida area...and has enough contacts to funnel him wr recruits locally. It isnt that big of a deal...and Field is a recruiting savant.

Advertisement
Dude, I grew up in Moore Haven! I have to know you, we've got 1 red light in the whole county! LOL
Swamp Cabbage is in LaBelle, my wife and I were just talking about going; I think it's Feb 23rd

That one light and bridge probably top 5 in tickets issued in Florida. Always cautious when I’m driving to Miami from Lakeland.

That one light and bridge probably top 5 in tickets issued in Florida. Always cautious when I’m driving to Miami from Lakeland.
I heard that recently from my coworker, he drives to Clewiston from Lake Placid. It wasn't like that growing up, South Bay was notorious for being a speed trap back then but I heard Moore Haven may be worse now.

I like all the hires, the only one that is suspect is stubble field. He doesn't worry me with coaching, just recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back