UM announces Garin Justice to replace Barry as OL coach; Diaz comments

View as article
What's to oh lord about?

This is great news...
Im kinda torn on this.. Former players coming to workout and do those types of things, cool.. Former players ready with twitter fingers to undermine a new coach, ehh.. I know these guys have passion and bleed orange and green but sometimes that over the top alumni helicopter parent vibe can hold a program back.

Advertisement
Im kinda torn on this.. Former players coming to workout and do those types of things, cool.. Former players ready with twitter fingers to undermine a new coach, ehh.. I know these guys have passion and bleed orange and green but sometimes that over the top alumni helicopter parent vibe can hold a program back.
You have to understand how to differentiate the difference in former players. Not all former players bleed orange and green. That expression is used far too loosely around here.....

Advertisement
He's not undermining him, he's giving the stamp of approval because Botch Berry did the exact opposite.

When McKinnie & the other former lineman came to Miami during Fall camp last year to help out with the OL's they all said that Berry acted as if he wanted nothing to do with them, didn't embrace them at all & was teaching very poor technique of the lineman with their Kick-slides.

They foreshadowed the disaster that our OL would turn out to be & they were right.

Whether we like it or not the former players/alumni are the backbone of this program, they're here no matter what & while they can sometimes be bloviating jackasses, they do also know the game quite well & they are truly always willing to help. We need them around & they can bring valuable experience & wisdom to both the players & coaches.

McKinnie is a great dude too, so it's not like he's got any kinda ulterior motives, he legit just wants to see us win.

Advertisement
I love how Justice played in a spread himself and is comfortable coaching pace.
The biggest selling point for me on Justice was that he was an OC himself before, even if on a D2 level that's valuable experience that we really need on the offensive side of the ball. And the fact he was a HC & helped turn an 0-11 program into a winner & won 74% of his games at Concord is a clear indicator he's smart & knows what the **** he's doing.

Also like the fact he's a Rich Rod/Rick Trickett disciple, those two dudes are premier Run Blocking aficionados.

He was also at FSU with Stroud & coached at FAU, so he's not an awkward guy that won't fit, he knows South Fla football & will groove well in this environment.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back