UM announces Bob Shoop as Defensive QC coach; Diaz comments

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The Miami Hurricanes completed their defensive coaching staff by hiring Bob Shoop as Defensive Quality Control Coach, head coach Manny Diaz announced Monday.

Shoop, a 32-year college coaching veteran, is the former head coach at Columbia and has served as defensive coordinator at three Power 5 programs. He most recently coached safeties at Michigan.

“Bob is a two-time Broyles Award finalist who has coordinated the defense at multiple schools and also has experience as a head coach,” Diaz said. “We are excited to add someone with his level of expertise to our defensive staff.”

Shoop spent the 2020 season in Ann Arbor after two seasons as defensive coordinator at Mississippi State. He also served as the defensive coordinator at William & Mary (2007-10), Vanderbilt (2011-13), Penn State (2014-15) and Tennessee (2016-17).

In 2019, Mississippi State’s defense led the SEC with 14 fumble recoveries (fourth nationally) and picked off 10 passes to rank second in the conference in turnovers (24). In 2018, Shoop was a Broyles Award finalist and was named FootballScoop Defensive Coordinator of the Year as the Bulldogs were the only defense FBS to finish top-10 in all four major defensive categories (total defense, scoring defense, rushing defense, and passing defense). MSU allowed only 12 touchdowns all season, the fewest allowed by any FBS team since 2011.

Shoop helped produce three 2019 first-round NFL Draft picks in Jeffrey Simmons (19th), Montez Sweat (26th) and Johnathan Abram (30th). Over his last 12 seasons, he has coached 20 NFL Draft picks with four at MSU, five at Tennessee, five at Penn State, three at Vanderbilt and three at William & Mary.

In 2014 at Penn State Shoop was named 247Sports' Defensive Coordinator of the Year. He was FootballScoop's FCS Defensive Coordinator of the Year and a Broyles Award finalist in 2009 while at William and Mary.

Shoop was the head coach at Columbia from 2003-05, posting a 7-23 record. He began his coaching career at his alma mater, Yale, in 1989 as a graduate assistant. He also has spent time as an assistant coach at Massachusetts (2006), Boston College (1999-2002), Army (1998), Villanova (1997), Yale (1989, 1994-96), Northeastern (1991-93) and Virginia (1990).

Shoop played wide receiver at Yale where he earned his bachelor's degree in economics. He was recognized with Yale Football's prestigious Robert Gardner Anderson Memorial Award for team spirit, dedication and leadership. He also earned four letters in baseball.

Shoop was a three-sport standout at Riverview (PA) High School and is a member of the Allegheny-Kiski Valley Sports Hall of Fame. He and his wife, Maura, have two sons, Tyler and Jay.

Advertisement
777EF4E5-A1D4-4EE5-A06B-02FD011887DE.jpeg

Bob Shoop Quality control analyst/coach

Advertisement
Advertisement
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Hurricanes will not have a formal DC this season?
Sure looks that way, and I still can't believe it.

This guy is not the greatest with mixed results over his career, but I would rather him be hired as DC ( if they aren't going to hire a good one) to at least take the load off Manny.

What a stark contrast the Alabama game will be in coach spending for sure. Hard for me to imagine any team wanting to go up against Saban without a full staff. If you're doing two jobs, you're really not doing either one 110%. That said, imagine the bragging rights Manny will have against Saban if he beats him as head coach and DC... :ROFLMAO: The scary thing? That is how I think Manny's legend in his own mind works, while Saban's mind is "who do i have to hire, ***** over or pay to win"...

TRob & Bob Shoop are the two biggest hires of the offseason.

He will basically be the De Facto DC, he & Manny will handle the weekly game planning & he will serve as Manny’s extra pair of eyes up in the booth.

He can’t/doesn’t want to be an on field assistant this season because Michigan still owes him money on his contract & if he were to get hired as an on field assistant he would lose out on the rest his money as it would offset the language in his contract.

But I think Shoop could be a legit candidate to be full time DC for next year depending on how things go this season.

Regardless of next year, this year bringing in Shoop as an analyst is a big time addition, he’s a really good DC & was one of the few DC’s that held Bama to under 30 points when they played Miss St in 2018 & in that season Miss St had the #1 ranked scoring Defense & #3 overall total Defense as I already stated in the other Shoop thread from a few days ago.

He runs a 4-3/4-2-5 Hybrid style Defense & his speciality is Run Defense, so safe to say we won’t be seeing anymore UNC rushing performances this year.

Advertisement
Just because Manny said he was going to call the plays when Baker was still DC, doesn't mean that it is set in stone as all of the defensive coaching staff changes.

Advertisement
TRob & Bob Shoop are the two biggest hires of the offseason.

He will basically be the De Facto DC, he & Manny will handle the weekly game planning & he will serve as Manny’s extra pair of eyes up in the booth.

He can’t/doesn’t want to be an on field assistant this season because Michigan still owes him money on his contract & if he were to get hired as an on field assistant he would lose out on the rest his money as it would offset the language in his contract.

But I think Shoop could be a legit candidate to be full time DC for next year depending on how things go this season.

Regardless of next year, this year bringing in Shoop as an analyst is a big time addition, he’s a really good DC & was one of the few DC’s that held Bama to under 30 points when they played Miss St in 2018 & in that season Miss St had the #1 ranked scoring Defense & #3 overall total Defense as I already stated in the other Shoop thread from a few days ago.

He runs a 4-3/4-2-5 Hybrid style Defense & his speciality is Run Defense, so safe to say we won’t be seeing anymore UNC rushing performances this year.
Glancing at his career from a distance, it appears like he’s had his fair share of ups and downs. Any insight as to why he really struggled some seasons while being classified as elite during others?

This is the black swan of the staff hires. Incredible addition.
The man is extremely we'll traveled and his knowledge as an analyst is an extraordinary addition to our staff, I just feel that is as high as his curling us right now. He has clearly seen his coaching days on the field pass him by, and if you have been following guys like this, you should all know that.

However, what he'll bring to this staff from an experience standpoint, should certainly help, and most likely he could be gone after 1 or 2 seasons. Where we'll also probably see Simpson make a move to DC.

Advertisement
Back