UM - Among top 20 US universities w/ wealthiest alumni

There is nothing illegal about donating a building or donating to the school in hopes of improving your child's admission into the school. These parents were paying for guaranteed admission. They should have donated a $1M to USC and hoped the children gained acceptance.

Advertisement
$30 mill net worth is not a figure that should impress people. In today’s boom economy many entrepreneurs, entertainers and athletes are worth $100,000,000’s.+ Tiger Woods, grad of Stanford is worth about $500,000,000. Ross, owner of Dolphins, grad of University of Michigan, has net worth in billions. Phil Knight of Nike is worth in excess of 30 billion dollars. The U does not attract the type students that major in business and go on to become giants in starting up innovative ground breaking companies. It is in that area where the multi-billionaires make their mark.

To a certain extent, you are correct. I'm more impressed by the schools with the total net worth of those HNW individuals, than the mere number of HNW people.

Wealth-X ranked the top 20 US colleges with the most ultra-high-net-worth (UHNW) alumni in its new report, " The University of Ultra High Net Worth Alumni Rankings 2019." The report analyzed the Wealth-X database to look at the relationship between education and wealth levels across universities worldwide.

Wealth-X reported the actual number of UNHW individuals known to hold a degree from each institution and then calculated a projected estimate to predict the number of alumni with the total global UHNW population. Wealth-X defines ultra-high-net-worth individuals as those with assets exceeding $30 million and included both undergraduate and graduate alumni with degrees.

18. University of Miami is located in Coral Gables, Florida.

Estimated ultra-high-net-worth population: 1,700

Estimated combined wealth of all UHNW graduates: $309 million
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is why UM will never fund a Foundation nor play the "bag name". Manny needs to start showing parents this study. Only 7% of college football will ever earn a salary from the NFL. UM is the perfect hedge! Train with the best and rely on a first rate education when football ends................ Neither Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Brown, Dartmouth nor Duke made the list!

Yeah, but you are not going to be big pimpin majoring in Criminal Justice, Psychology, Liberal Arts, etc. That's the difference. You can go to Harvard and major in something non-lucrative and still be broke.

30 million isn't rich, but it still is a respectable net worth. Also, as UM puts more and more kids on the street they are increasing their chances of pumping out more and more multi billionaires since they can make over a bill a year if they play their cards right.

I would disagree with that. $30M is both rich and is even enough to take you up to the next level, which is known as "fvck you rich". Meaning, you've got enough money to do pretty much whatever you want to do and have very few people that you really need to listen to.

I will agree that it's not "**** the entire world rich" where you can do whatever the fvck you want and just buy a country if you end up getting in to trouble.

$30 mill net worth is not a figure that should impress people. In today’s boom economy many entrepreneurs, entertainers and athletes are worth $100,000,000’s.+ Tiger Woods, grad of Stanford is worth about $500,000,000. Ross, owner of Dolphins, grad of University of Michigan, has net worth in billions. Phil Knight of Nike is worth in excess of 30 billion dollars. The U does not attract the type students that major in business and go on to become giants in starting up innovative ground breaking companies. It is in that area where the multi-billionaires make their mark.
Don't know WTF you are talking about....I'd be pretty impressed with $30mil in my bank account

Advertisement
$3M today is more than enough capital..... Inflation is currently only ~2%..... Also, 40% of the workforce completely retires in the next 10-years and they will need to sell their homes in order to retire, and liquidate assets.

The net worth for the 1% (the top percentile) is $10,374,030.10. You do not need to be at the top percentile to live lavishly. At the top 5% of US wealth, the demarcation line is: $2,377,985.22 and the 10% demarcation is at $1,182,390.36

Wealth-X ranked the top 20 US colleges with the most ultra-high-net-worth (UHNW) alumni in its new report, " The University of Ultra High Net Worth Alumni Rankings 2019." The report analyzed the Wealth-X database to look at the relationship between education and wealth levels across universities worldwide.

Wealth-X reported the actual number of UNHW individuals known to hold a degree from each institution and then calculated a projected estimate to predict the number of alumni with the total global UHNW population. Wealth-X defines ultra-high-net-worth individuals as those with assets exceeding $30 million and included both undergraduate and graduate alumni with degrees.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is why UM will never fund a Foundation nor play the "bag name". Manny needs to start showing parents this study. Only 7% of college football will ever earn a salary from the NFL. UM is the perfect hedge! Train with the best and rely on a first rate education when football ends................ Neither Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Brown, Dartmouth nor Duke made the list!

The Mas brothers went to UM. The combined wealth of the Mas brothers exceeds $309 million.

No. It prevents "bags". The school will not condone anything that could tarnish its recent image. They abhor the "Suntan U" moniker and have been trying to eradicate it for over 40-years.

I could see UM suing a "UM Foundation". If you wish to donate, then you follow the Carol Soffer (sic) model. You give to the Athletic Department and publicly announce the intention. If you simply wish to donate and have no given objective, then you donate directly to the Athletic Department.

The football program is what eradicated Suntan U and replaced it with The U.

I don’t know how this could be accurate:
Just between Edge/Lewis/Reed alone, per celebrity net worth, they are at close to $100m. That’s not including Vilma, Williams, Playmaker, Olsen, Vernon, Wayne, etc, etc.

No way this could be accurate.

Advertisement
I would disagree with that. $30M is both rich and is even enough to take you up to the next level, which is known as "fvck you rich". Meaning, you've got enough money to do pretty much whatever you want to do and have very few people that you really need to listen to.

I will agree that it's not "**** the entire world rich" where you can do whatever the fvck you want and just buy a country if you end up getting in to trouble.

Its also just enough that you make one bad investment and you are broke. There are literally athletes who make 30+m a year. No one really considers athletes rich besides the real peak athletes like Jordan, Lebron, Mayweather, etc. 200-300m is generally the "rich threshold" that I have heard when speaking with "rich" people, but I have heard some people go as low as 100m to be rich.

Of course this all depends on the person. I know guys that live in the projects and consider guys making 80k a year "rich". I know guys that laughed when I said Brady and his wife were rich.

Personally, I think 100m would be considered rich because even after a few bad fvckups you still have enough money to retire on.

Plenty of educated people worth 30m end up broke. It is much rarer for 9 figure net worth educated people to end up broke.

Article tells you everything you need to know about Business Insider. They screwed up the initial article saying millions instead of billions. No correction now that it's fixed. That's a no go for real journalists. Now shows $309 Billion for UM.

Misleading (I think) for several reasons. I know something about Georgetown, which is a relatively small university with no engineering school (hence few will go into high tech) nor a big-time business school (so relatively few will go into investment banking, venture funds, etc.). I suspect those two disciplines see a lot of their alums end up making a lot of money. Georgetown has very little presence in either discipline. I don't know why Dartmouth, Duke, didn't make it when some rather ordinary schools like Boston U. did.

Advertisement
The football program is what eradicated Suntan U and replaced it with The U.
I doubt that but I'd be interested in hearing why you believe that. I know it's true admissions interest increased in the mid to late '80's and I think admissions people attributed that to our increased
visibility because of the football team's success.

Advertisement
Misleading (I think) for several reasons. I know something about Georgetown, which is a relatively small university with no engineering school (hence few will go into high tech) nor a big-time business school (so relatively few will go into investment banking, venture funds, etc.). I suspect those two disciplines see a lot of their alums end up making a lot of money. Georgetown has very little presence in either discipline. I don't know why Dartmouth, Duke, didn't make it when some rather ordinary schools like Boston U. did.

Duke has very few entrepreneurs and is an affirmative action school now so it will only get worse.

I love the people who come on here and talk casually about the average non-wealthy UM graduate could easily be worth millions early in their careers. Then they go on and talk about a NW of $30M being nothing. If I had that kind of net worth you could be sure I'd find something more exciting then spending time on the internet on a college football message board.

Instead of hiding behind an anonymous screen name, why you don't you reveal who you are and show some evidence of your vaunted wealth?

Agree with Duke, Dartmouth, which are old money schools. They should have made it above UM. May be old money hide their wealth well and the folks did the research couldn't find info on them. Another reason why I think the study is flawed. Boston U, however, is also known as money U. One of my degrees is from the Boston area. There is a saying in Boston that if you are rich and smart, you go to Harvard. If you are smart, MIT. If you are rich, BU. If you are neither, UMass.

Duke has very few entrepreneurs and is an affirmative action school now so it will only get worse.
I know very little about Duke now. I went to college many years ago. I know they gave a business school and I think an engineering school so both might present more opportunities to enter fields where you can make great wealth. You usually don't make that kind of wealth as a lawyer or accountant.

When I was applying to college there was no affirmative action so Duke was very tough to get into. The only quotas I knew of were the percentage limits of the number of Jews the schools would let in.

Advertisement
Back